PDA

View Full Version : Tire temp what is good/bad??!

BlueThunder34
08-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Ok, so first trip with the TST pressure and temp monitors on the trailer tires and it works great, but what temp is considered hot for trailer tires? On the way over it averaged about 94 degrees on one side and about 88 degrees on the other (I'm assuming one side is heavier than the other side due to slide, fridge, etc.). Outside temp is about 87 degrees and speed about 60mph. Are these good temps?

Desert185
08-26-2016, 02:49 PM
That's about what I see. Sunny side and right side (due to road crown and/or weight distribution) always seems to be a bit warmer.

hankpage
08-26-2016, 03:54 PM
What you have to watch out for is drastic difference in one tire. May not only be a tire problem ... could be bearings or brakes generating the heat too. Check your hubs and rims at every stop. An RF thermometer is another good tool and it will confirm what TST is telling you. I used to just use the back of my hand on the tire and rim and was happy. Now, I will admit this techy stuff is an improvement. JM2¢, Hank

bsmith0404
08-26-2016, 04:57 PM
According to information I have read most tire failures occur above 150 degrees. If I remember correctly, it is in the TST information and that is why they have the temperature alarm preset for around that temp. I typically see 15 degrees or less from ambient temps, so anything drastically above that is where I would get concerned. I set my temp alarms at 125 to give me an earlier warning. The temps you are seeing are very normal.

Desert185
08-26-2016, 05:10 PM
According to information I have read most tire failures occur above 150 degrees. If I remember correctly, it is in the TST information and that is why they have the temperature alarm preset for around that temp. I typically see 15 degrees or less from ambient temps, so anything drastically above that is where I would get concerned. I set my temp alarms at 125 to give me an earlier warning. The temps you are seeing are very normal.

I just installed the TST507 TPMS so the default temp setting is still fresh in my aging, overloaded memory. 158F is the alarm number, because Michelin states that tire failure occurs in the 180-200F range. Its incredible to think that tire temps would get that high.

busterbrown
08-26-2016, 05:47 PM
I purchased the TPMS set from EEZ RV in preparation of our 1200 mile trip to Orlando, FL. It worked great. Gave me temps and PSI's on each tire. Temps were about 10 degrees above ambient. When I arrived in Orlando after about 6 hours of driving, driver side temps were about 3-4 degrees higher than passenger side. I cough it up to the eastern sun shining down on the drivers side. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

BlueThunder34
08-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Thanks all! Sounds like those are good temps, was also nice to be able to see the psi too. So far I like the system

notanlines
08-27-2016, 03:25 AM
The temperature of our Sailuns on a relatively hot day (96) will run about 116 to 118 or so. This is the actual temperature of the tread taken with infrared from Harbor Freight. Our TPMS didn't register the temperature anywhere near that high. I'm going to guess that is because we aren't getting tire temperature, but valve stem/wheel temperature. I might also add that for a few years I used an infrared thermometer from work that cost $400.00 when purchased. Very, very accurate if you read their literature. Harbor Freight readings? Exactly the same for $25.00.....

BlueThunder34
08-27-2016, 05:24 AM
Interesting, I'll check with my IR gun on the way home to see what variance I get between the two as well.

Desert185
08-27-2016, 07:46 AM
The temperature of our Sailuns on a relatively hot day (96) will run about 116 to 118 or so. This is the actual temperature of the tread taken with infrared from Harbor Freight. Our TPMS didn't register the temperature anywhere near that high. I'm going to guess that is because we aren't getting tire temperature, but valve stem/wheel temperature. I might also add that for a few years I used an infrared thermometer from work that cost $400.00 when purchased. Very, very accurate if you read their literature. Harbor Freight readings? Exactly the same for $25.00.....

I noticed that, as well, with my HF gun. I'm guessing that's why the TPMS default alert is 158F for a failure temp of 180-200F.

The alert temp is reprogrammable, but I left mine at the default temp because the TPMS display is right in front of me so I can trend the temps and pressures in my scan of EGT, boost, fuel pressure, alt volts, oil pressure, etc., along with listening to Rush or Savage and the DW (NPR puts me to sleep). The pressure alert is set to 10 low and 20 high from 80 PSI. I'm guessing that spread will more than cover any issues before the temp rises to the default 158F.

Ken / Claudia
08-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Unless or until you stand on the roadway with sun directly shining on the surface for awhile you may not believe how hot the surface gets. With poor shoes you feet burn. So, I expect when traveling with sun on one side the tires will always be hotter than the ones in the shade.

JRTJH
08-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Here's a bit of information that you might want to consider when using an IR thermometer to check your tires.

1. Aiming the thermometer at the tread will give you a more accurate temperature of the outer circumference of the tire.

2. Aiming the thermometer at the sidewall (near the wheel) will give you a "closer to average" of the overall tire temperature.

3. Aiming between the spokes at the hub circumference will give you an indication of the brake temperature.

4. Aiming between the spokes at the center of the hub will give you an indication of the bearing temperature.

If you do consider this type of temperature measurement, remember that after a very short time, probably a minute or so, the tire and the hub temperatures will stabilize and be very close to the same over the entire tire and over the entire hub, so it's best to measure as soon as you stop, not after going to the bathroom and walking around for a few minutes.

Desert185
08-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Unless or until you stand on the roadway with sun directly shining on the surface for awhile you may not believe how hot the surface gets. With poor shoes you feet burn. So, I expect when traveling with sun on one side the tires will always be hotter than the ones in the shade.

That is true, and I have noticed a temp decrease after driving for awhile on tires that have been stationary in the sun.

TSTGUY
10-03-2016, 07:24 AM
Tire temps are a relative thing.
If you are traveling in Arizona in August temps will look a lot different than they do traveling in Michigan in August.

Your tires are safe operating up to 180 degrees F. Our system will alert you once a tire reaches 158 degrees F.

What is most important is looking for a large difference in one tire vs. the rest of your tires. If all of your tires are reading 100 degrees and you have one reading 125 degrees it would tell you that you need to find a safe spot and pull over and check to see if there was a problem.

Understand that our body temperature is almost 100 degrees so a tire operating in excess of that is completely acceptable.

if you are traveling North or South during a sunny day will also determine the temperature of the tires as well. The sunny side tires will always be a few degrees warmer than the shady side tire.

Other increases in tire temperature can be caused by a drum brake tension spring failing or a wheel bearing failure. These can be very serious as the wheel and tire can catch fire due to extreme heat from the failure.

mfifield01
10-03-2016, 09:13 AM
I've been using my TST for about 2 months now. I find that my rear tires are hotter than front on the trailer. It's typically 2 degrees different. I average about 5 degrees hotter than ambient on the front and 7 degrees on the rear.

Desert185
10-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Tire temps are a relative thing.
If you are traveling in Arizona in August temps will look a lot different than they do traveling in Michigan in August.

Your tires are safe operating up to 180 degrees F. Our system will alert you once a tire reaches 158 degrees F.

What is most important is looking for a large difference in one tire vs. the rest of your tires. If all of your tires are reading 100 degrees and you have one reading 125 degrees it would tell you that you need to find a safe spot and pull over and check to see if there was a problem.

Understand that our body temperature is almost 100 degrees so a tire operating in excess of that is completely acceptable.

if you are traveling North or South during a sunny day will also determine the temperature of the tires as well. The sunny side tires will always be a few degrees warmer than the shady side tire.

Other increases in tire temperature can be caused by a drum brake tension spring failing or a wheel bearing failure. These can be very serious as the wheel and tire can catch fire due to extreme heat from the failure.

Thanks for the contribution. Just what temp is it reading? Internal air temp, valve stem temp or ?

I have the flow through sensors.