PDA

View Full Version : Dometic Slide Topper

Desert185
08-25-2016, 03:14 PM
CW has a sale on Dometic slide toppers. The options are the Deluxe and the Elite EZ Canopy. I'm told Dometic is as good as any.

Which should I get and why? I'm thinking the Elite would be best.

Since I live at least an hour from an installation facility, I plan to do the install myself.

Anything to be concerned about when installing the attachment rail on the trailer wall?

How much overlap or overhang should I have on either side of the slide?

Thanks...

eds451
08-25-2016, 07:12 PM
I have a Carefree topper on my slide out. I installed it myself. See my pic(the slide is only 6 ft wide). Carefree had a 74 inch topper at that time. When you order, just tell them the EXACT outside width of the slide and they will fill in the blanks as to size, brackets etc.
My friend has a topper we are going to install on new trailer this weekend. If there are any surprises, I will post.

keyholeelf
08-26-2016, 09:46 AM
I just installed a Dometic Deluxe 144" model. It went well. If you go to the dometic website they have a chart that will tell you what size you need base on the size of the slide.

Donald Pilkey.

Desert185
08-26-2016, 02:55 PM
I saw that site. Thanks.

Any issues with mounting the awning attach rail to the trailer above the slide?

keyholeelf
08-30-2016, 05:56 AM
We used a good quality silicone as suggested. My son and I did the install and he didn't quite line up the marks on his side. It ended up being a little low, maybe 1/4". I'm not sure if that contributed to the slight wrinkling or not when we were running it in and out to test it.

One of the next steps is to stretch out the awning front to back and screw each end down. It would not slide in the channel so i wrapped a towel around the teeth of a pair of channel locks and moved it that way. The towel kept the teeth from tearing or marring the awning. Once everything was fastened it seemed to resolve the wrinkling.

darrylwt
08-30-2016, 06:05 AM
CW has a sale on Dometic slide toppers. The options are the Deluxe and the Elite EZ Canopy. I'm told Dometic is as good as any.

Which should I get and why? I'm thinking the Elite would be best.

Since I live at least an hour from an installation facility, I plan to do the install myself.

Anything to be concerned about when installing the attachment rail on the trailer wall?

How much overlap or overhang should I have on either side of the slide?

Thanks...

I had CW install my Dometic deluxe and they had to replace the rails that were on the trailer from the factory because they weren't long enough for the over hang for the right toppers. They do keep the junk and water off the side and CW did a great job.

GMcKenzie
08-30-2016, 07:42 AM
Can a topper be attached to the upper rail, like the awning is? My trailer does not have a rail for a topper, and there probably isn't room for one between the top of the slide and the rail that is there.

Keep thinking about this but not sure how the install would go.

JRTJH
08-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Can a topper be attached to the upper rail, like the awning is? My trailer does not have a rail for a topper, and there probably isn't room for one between the top of the slide and the rail that is there.

Keep thinking about this but not sure how the install would go.

One of the objectives of positioning the side rail for the slide topper is assuring there is minimal (preferably zero) slide topper fabric exposed when the slide is closed for travel. That way wind can't get under the fabric, causing it to billow. If your top rail is close to the position the slide topper will be (with the slide closed) then it probably would be a suitable location for the slide topper awning rail. If there's more than an inch or so of exposed fabric that won't roll up into the topper reel, then you may find that the slide topper "unrolls" with a gust of wind or with an oncoming 18 wheeler. I'd look closely at just how much fabric would be exposed and go from there.

GMcKenzie
09-07-2016, 10:58 AM
See if this works.

Here is a picture of the side of my trailer. Seems to not be room to fit a rail between the slide and the roof.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3oTDQm0Ad22SmVfdEVPTW9kUk0

What do you guys think? Am I hooped for adding a topper?

rkeiser
09-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Measure the exterior of the slide out ( including the flange ) Dometic has a fit chart that will tell you what size slide topper you need. There is also a determined min & max position for the mounting rail in relation to where the brackets attach to the slide out. You should have no problem hitting a backing plate above the slide out for the rail install. Just make sure you caulk the top of the rail after installation.

CaptnJohn
09-07-2016, 05:13 PM
I had CW install my Dometic deluxe and they had to replace the rails that were on the trailer from the factory because they weren't long enough for the over hang for the right toppers. They do keep the junk and water off the side and CW did a great job.

CW had a sale on toppers and installation about the time we returned from FL last winter. They did a fantastic job on mine at Myrtle Beach. I'm having them add the bedroom AC when I get home from this trip. I always ask to have David work on my 5er. He has done everything since the PDI. I always ask to have him show me what he has done and thank him.

SUnderwood
09-07-2016, 08:04 PM
I installed mine too , just follow the directions

chris15005
12-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Carefree slide topper here
http://imgur.com/a/uC7MO
http://imgur.com/a/uC7MO