PDA

View Full Version : Adding a wall toggle switch for the overhead lights

HDutton
08-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Our Cougar 291 has the overhead light switch in the electrical control panel. This is very difficult for the co-pilot to use. How difficult is it to access the exterior wall to add a toggle switch or has anyone used a wireless type of lighting switch?

JRTJH
08-23-2016, 01:06 PM
The Cougar line uses "vacuum bonded luan/Styrofoam/luan/filon walls. Since these walls are vacuum bonded, it would be extremely difficult to run wiring through them to a switch. A couple of "easier options" might be running wiring to a cabinet attached to the outer wall or find a location on an inner wall to place your switch. Possibly you could run the wiring along the entry door, down through the floor and up through an interior wall to the ceiling where you could fish it to the light fixture, but that's going to be a monumental job. Much easier to locate a more convenient spot on the same interior wall as your control panel and jumper to a more convenient switch location on that same wall (if that's possible with your specific floor plan).

GaryWT
08-23-2016, 08:19 PM
As co-pilot I am guessing you are riding in the truck. Would guess that it would be difficult for anyone to use the switch during travel time. Once setup the panel should be available to all. Is there another reason you would like to know about this.

djones19
09-06-2016, 07:33 AM
Our Cougar 291 has the overhead light switch in the electrical control panel. This is very difficult for the co-pilot to use. How difficult is it to access the exterior wall to add a toggle switch or has anyone used a wireless type of lighting switch?

I fished down the wall and installed this at the hollow stair. can turn on lights while standing on the ground prior to entry. I also extended the outlet that is above sink to the wall so I could plug in a short cord coffee maker. Added USB charging and night lights in the outlet. Added the same outlet when we ripped out the bench seats and added chairs;);)

Pmedic4
09-06-2016, 03:26 PM
I'm with you on this one HDutton. Found the problem JRTJH mentioned, as I like to do a lot of my own electrical and consider myself capable. Seemed like an easy routing of the wire from the panel on the upper back of the RV, to a place right by the door. NOPE, not a chance, can't even take the panel off without major damage, and rebuild. We've lived with it. I will say these Cougars could have a muche better light switch planning and installs. The only wall mounted switch in the whole RV is in our little potty room, and of course the terrible location for the overhead lights. Almost considered putting in some remote switch/relay option, but didn't seem that bad... Unless you and your SO are short, and can't reach the wall unit.

I did wire in outside color changing LED light strip, off the switch from porch light. Really lights up under the awning.