PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any intel on this brand or this particular tire

texhater42
08-20-2016, 05:07 PM
The tire is a Trailer King st205/75r14. The ones on my camper that has maybe 1K on them. Wondering if these are the "China bombs" I keep hearing about.

the sodfather
08-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Yup. That's them. Nobody on this forum is a fan of them. Me neither. Had one blow on a 2015 272BHS. Thank goodness I caught it before any damage.

BlueThunder34
08-20-2016, 07:24 PM
I just replaced mine this morning off my 2016 Cougar with only about 800 miles on them. I've heard and seen way to many horror stories with these China bombs, I decided to replace them with Carlise Trail HDs for peace of mind.

CaptnJohn
08-20-2016, 07:40 PM
I have them ~~ after 5000+ miles getting ready to change. Will be going to Carlisle. I really have not heard much bad about them. If I stayed close to home I'd keep them a while. Our next the trips are between 470 and 1100 miles each way.

texhater42
08-20-2016, 07:50 PM
I just replaced mine this morning off my 2016 Cougar with only about 800 miles on them. I've heard and seen way to many horror stories with these China bombs, I decided to replace them with Carlise Trail HDs for peace of mind.

Welp, this is unfortunate...a quick google shows a fairly good rating on Amazon...got my hopes up for a second

CaptnJohn
08-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Welp, this is unfortunate...a quick google shows a fairly good rating on Amazon...got my hopes up for a second

Amazon is fairly far down my list most often for ratings BUT there are much worse tires than these. You will not find much bad written about them compared to many others. The price of Carlisle tires makes these not worth taking a chance with any longer. I felt confident putting 5K+ miles on them plus another 1K+ of my 5er being shipped from IN to SC. If I stayed within 100 miles from home I'd keep them longer as I'd be driving slower and they would not get real hot. Somewhere ~~ maybe the FR site?? ~~ someone posted no trouble at 9000 miles on these.

440justin
08-20-2016, 08:35 PM
I can't say I am a fan of them, but with proper care they can last, I have a set on my 2013 Passport with 10,500 miles on them. Going with Maxxis next spring as I will not trust them past 5 years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bob Landry
08-22-2016, 03:57 AM
Carlisle is not much if any better. I went to Discount Tire to get a replacement for a Maxxis that had a sidewall puncture. They were going to have to order it and tried to sell me a Carlisle instead. I declined and the guy said they had a lot of them in stock because they couldn't sell them. All trailer tires except Maxxis are made in China. Maxxis is made in another Asian country(not China) which may or may not be much better but they do offer a 10 ply trailer tire.

Desert185
08-22-2016, 02:01 PM
Carlisle is not much if any better. I went to Discount Tire to get a replacement for a Maxxis that had a sidewall puncture. They were going to have to order it and tried to sell me a Carlisle instead. I declined and the guy said they had a lot of them in stock because they couldn't sell them. All trailer tires except Maxxis are made in China. Maxxis is made in another Asian country(not China) which may or may not be much better but they do offer a 10 ply trailer tire.

Made in Thailand, apparently with strict quality control standards.

ctbruce
08-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Made in Thailand, apparently with strict quality control standards.
There is an article about them in this month's Trailer Life. Good read.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

CaptnJohn
08-22-2016, 04:35 PM
I see that as a continuation of the ad on pages 16 & 17.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

ctbruce
08-22-2016, 04:54 PM
I see that as a continuation of the ad on pages 16 & 17.
That very well could be but we'll never know. That same add runs monthly at around the same pages. The article does talk about the process, the quality control and customer service. I know more now than I did before, so thumbs up.

Now for fun I wish they'd do the same thing with the Trailer Kings.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Desert185
08-22-2016, 06:33 PM

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

I'd like to read it, but I don't get Trailer Life. :(

CaptnJohn
08-22-2016, 09:45 PM
That very well could be but we'll never know. That same add runs monthly at around the same pages. The article does talk about the process, the quality control and customer service. I know more now than I did before, so thumbs up.

Now for fun I wish they'd do the same thing with the Trailer Kings.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Unless Trailer King signs a huge ad contract it will not happen. "bouncey: No one will say Maxxis are a bad product. Actually, they were my 2nd choice and Carlisle tires go on tomorrow.

Desert185
08-24-2016, 08:44 AM
I read the article thanks to a fellow forum member. I have Maxxis Bighorn 2's on an ATV and have had good luck with them. Running Maxxis (including the spare) on the SRX after I brought it home with the stock Trailer Kings. After at least 6,000 miles and two years they are wearing well with no issues. I always run them (235/80-16 LRE) at 80 PSI and tow at 60-62 MPH. I wish I had the TPMS for the long tow home on the Trailer Kings so I could compare tire temps, but no TPMS at that time. Maxxis are quality tires, IMO and experience.

Right now, Maxxis will be my next set on the SRX even though I have been running LRD Carlisle RH's on the utility trailers without problems.

CWtheMan
08-24-2016, 05:22 PM
The tire is a Trailer King st205/75r14. The ones on my camper that has maybe 1K on them. Wondering if these are the "China bombs" I keep hearing about.

Trailer King & Towmax STR tires are two brand named ST tires provided by Power King. Here is a reference where you can research their other trailer tires.

http://www.powerkingtires.com/Content/powerking/catalogs/2014%20Commercial%20Catalog.pdf

Desert185
08-25-2016, 08:02 AM
Trailer King & Towmax STR tires are two brand named ST tires provided by Power King. Here is a reference where you can research their other trailer tires.

http://www.powerkingtires.com/Content/powerking/catalogs/2014%20Commercial%20Catalog.pdf

Seeing that they make LT tires, I'm wondering why I don't hear of anyone recommending their LT tires for TV's, yet you hear of folks running Powerking or variant ST's on their trailers. There's the Michelin only crowd who don't seem to hesitate running China bombs on the their trailers. There's a missing link in there someplace...

bellsharbor
08-25-2016, 08:25 AM
I had good luck with the Trailer King tires that came on the trailer. Put about 8000 miles on them but just changed out to Maxxis due to what I have been reading here. Had to wait two weeks for Discount Tire to get them in. Had to send back the first batch due to an old "build date". How do you know for sure what's the best thing to do. Good luck everyone with your tires!!

BlueThunder34
08-25-2016, 10:12 AM
I am not a tire quality expert by any means, however when I compared the Carlisle Trail HD and Trailer King II side by side to me the Carlisle definitely felt like and looked like a stronger better quality tire than the TK. If that's true or not I cannot confirm, all I know is there are a lot of people on this site that had problems early on with their TKs and a friend of ours as well had a blow out with them when they were less than 2 years old (yes they were inflated properly, no he wasn't speeding, and no he wasn't over loaded I was with them when it happened) and it caused thousands of dollars in damage to their trailer as it ripped through the floor of the slide and destroyed the fridge area. For me that was enough to ditch the TKs from the factory in hopes of avoiding this situation. I also added the TST monitors for more piece of mind. I know you can't prevent everything, but I will take any advantage I can get.:)

Pull Toy
08-25-2016, 02:23 PM
IMHO, Had "China Bombs" on my last three trailers. Only one major issue in 15+ years, and G-D knows how many miles.

1 Proper inflation
2 Reasonable loading
3 Proper pre-trip inspection
4 Realistic speed and rest breaks
5 Sun Covers on when not in use
6 Stop scrubbing sidewalls on curbs...

If they were the problem that"the rumor mill" wants them to be... DOT / NHSI would be all over it, and involved, and OEM would move on!

Put any tire on the cr*ppy roads we use, mostly overweight and underinflated, there WILL be problems! My local tire dealer that I've done business with exclusively for forty years, has no problem stocking and installing Power Kings.

B-O-B'03
08-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Is anyone using Greenball tires?

Here is a LINK (http://www.greenball.com/catalog/Special-Trailer-Radial.pdf) to a pdf of their ST tires.

Thanks,

-Brian

GT2400BH
08-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Is anyone using Greenball tires?

Here is a LINK (http://www.greenball.com/catalog/Special-Trailer-Radial.pdf) to a pdf of their ST tires.

Thanks,

-Brian

Nice speed rating not that advocate towing that fast. Hopefully it makes them more durable.

EVMIII
09-03-2016, 06:14 PM
There are some tire experts on this forum, do lots of reading and follow their advice. I am not one of those experts, but I do know you can compare tires side by side and see a big difference in construction. My keystone came with Trailer King 235x80x16 (load range E) tires. I compared them to the Sailun Trailer Tire.

The Sailun tire weighed twice as much. Lift the Trailer King chest high and drop and you an see the sidewall flex, same thing with the Sailun and no flex. Try standing on the sidewalk of your Trailer King (hint, it will collapse), the Sailun stands sturdy.

That said, the Trailer Kings sell for about $80 each, the Sailuns are almost 3 times as much. With proper inflation and load management many folks get thousands of miles from their trailer kings, but many don't. How much is a sense of security worth? If you do decide to upgrade, be sure your rims are up to the task. Several upgrade tires run 110psi, but not all tins can handle it.

I'm using my TKs for my current closer to home trips, but I will definitely replace next year before heading cross country.

Good luck, safe travels.

CaptnJohn
09-03-2016, 07:25 PM
With over 3500 miles the Trailer King tires that came on my Cougar still looked like new. Never had a problem with them. I just had Carlisle 235/80/R16 LR E installed on the 5er. If the TKs would have fit my boat trailer I would have kept them. Instead the dealer bought all 5.

bsmith0404
09-04-2016, 06:12 AM
Pull Toy, I know a lot of people who feel the same way. My dad took my 1 year old Trailer Kings for his 5er after I pulled them off mine. In his defense, his 5er is lighter than mine and came with LRD tires and the TKs are an LRE. I also gave him my old TST system and I bought a new one with flow through sensors. I'm hoping the combination of the higher load range and the TST will keep him from tearing up his trailer. As for me, I've heard/seen too many issues with TKs to risk my 5er with them. I've gone from the TK LRE, to a Carlisle LRF and now the Hartland LRG. I'll admit I'm a bit nervous about the Hartland tire since I don't have much intel on them, but they look/feel like a quality tire and the LRG is over kill for my trailer, so fingers crossed.

CaptnJohn
09-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Pull Toy, I know a lot of people who feel the same way. My dad took my 1 year old Trailer Kings for his 5er after I pulled them off mine. In his defense, his 5er is lighter than mine and came with LRD tires and the TKs are an LRE. I also gave him my old TST system and I bought a new one with flow through sensors. I'm hoping the combination of the higher load range and the TST will keep him from tearing up his trailer. As for me, I've heard/seen too many issues with TKs to risk my 5er with them. I've gone from the TK LRE, to a Carlisle LRF and now the Hartland LRG. I'll admit I'm a bit nervous about the Hartland tire since I don't have much intel on them, but they look/feel like a quality tire and the LRG is over kill for my trailer, so fingers crossed.

1st trip tomorrow with new Carlisle LR E after removing TKs. Now thinking of going to the Carlisle LR F next time if I still have this 5er. Not sure about the rim PSI capacity is the only thing that held me back this time. Running these as stamped on the sidewall at 85 PSI, the LR F state 95 PSI. TKs were80 PSI. Looking to make things better and not create a problem.

shov
09-12-2016, 10:43 AM
my 2013 Alpine came with the TK's from the dealer, I always maintained the tire pressure before, during and after every trip. In 2015 we were on a 1,200 mile trip and my gut told me to change out the China bombs before hand, but I didn't... Moral of the story trust your gut, the body damage the explosion created cost me more than 2 sets of quality replacement tires...