PDA

View Full Version : Rock Tamers with Equal-i-zer hitch

rturriff7
04-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Anyone here use rock tamers mud flaps with an equalizer brand hitch. I have not yet got the hitch but have it ordered with my trailer. I have a chance to get some rocktamers on kijiji but want to know if they are compatible with this hitch. I have heard that 1 inch of clearance is required. Any help appreciated.

Paddler
04-26-2011, 03:12 PM
I just took a peek at the Rock Tamers and I don't think you will have any problems fitting them to the Equal-i-zer. I pretty sure there was several inches of "free" space between the receiver and the ball mount. Let us know how the Rock Tamers work for you. I'm interested!

Paddler
04-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Seems I couldn't wait for your review of the Rock Tamers...just order a set from Amazon.

rturriff7
04-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Bought mine too without assurance that they will fit. I can always sell them if they don't. Paid 180 for mine in very good condition. How much did you get yours for on amazon? Anyone else looking to buy should check out mudflaps.com. They have free shipping to the lower 48 ($75 to me in Edmonton unfortunately. I will let you all know how they work out.

Paddler
04-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi Ryan,
$185 for the chrome ones, new, with free shipping, to the lower 48. One of the reviews I read on Amazon suggested using a jig saw and an electric drill, to custom fit the flaps to your vehicle. Please post how you like them. I should have mine sometime next week.

Paddler
05-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Just wanted to post a quick update on the Rock Tamers. I installed mine this afternoon, I'm a bit slow (let the short bus jokes begin) so it took me about two hours to trim and install them on a spare hitch. They certainly have plenty of adjustability built into the design. I'll give a final report next time we take the rig out.

chuck&gail
05-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I previously towed a 21' hybrid toybox with my previous SUV. In an effort to keep the front of the trailer cleaner I bought a Roadwing mud flap. It goes on the Equal-i-zer drawbar, so is easy to put on and off, a real nice feature. It does seem to help keep rocks off the front of the trailer. The mud seems to be about the same. I think mud goes over the top of the mud flap, as the rear of the SUV gets muddier with the mud flap installed.

The unexpected kicker is GAS MILEAGE! I normally get 13 mpg towing. With the mud flap installed I got about 10 mpg. I thought I made a mistake at first, who would expect that. I tried this on two separate trips, each were over 300 miles with it installed, and lots more miles than that without it.

Hope you all have better luck!

rturriff7
05-25-2011, 04:42 PM
The Rock Tamers fit on the Equal-i-zer hitch with room to spare.:)

Paddler
06-05-2011, 07:37 AM
The Rock Tamers work as advertised. They do keep most of the road grim off the front of the trailer. Since all our pulls with the new 5er have been short distance, I can't confirm any loss of fuel economy with RT's installed. Overall, I'm pleased with the product.