PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to run a patched tire?

Tbos
08-18-2016, 08:31 AM
Last night I did my pre-trip tire pressure check. One of the tires, the replacement we bought in June on our vacation, was down to 25lbs. Looked it over and found a nail in the tread. I put the spare on and took the tire in for repair. They patched it on the inside. If this were a car tire I wouldn't give using it a 2nd thought. Having had a blowout due to a damaged tire earlier this year I'm a little skittish. Is it safe to use the patched tire on my TT? Thanks.

hankpage
08-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Good question. If you said it was plugged I would say definitely no. (IMHO) Since it was patched .... If there was no cord damage or tread separation, I might consider it for a reliable spare. NOTE: It is hard to tell if air has been trapped between the tread and casing that can cause tread separation when tire gets heated. JM2¢, Hank

JRTJH
08-18-2016, 10:03 AM
According to the Tire Rack website, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77 , the puncture must be repaired "inside" and "through the tread" to properly seal both "air leakage" and "water intrusion". From my experience with flats, the "inside patch only" repairs seem to be the most common and the "plug from the outside" seems to be the quickest, but not usually done these days. I don't remember anyone "plugging and patching" one of my tires, although it could have happened.

Here's a picture from the Tire Rack website explaining that "inside patches" as well as "through the puncture plugs" are incorrect. They suggest that an "inner patch and puncture plug" are the best approach. Rationale is to seal the tire against water getting into the tire through the puncture, possibly damaging/rotting the cord as well as the steel belts.

With the "known stress" we place on ST tires, I think I'd relegate any "repaired tire" to spare duty only. I wouldn't put it on the ground as a "trusted tire"......

Dave W
08-19-2016, 04:31 AM
If that replacement/new tire is an LT and the patch was made properly, I would run it though keep an eye on it for air loss or visible bubbles. If it's an ST - spare use or junk yard trip depending on your best good feeling for that tire. I really dislike the current crop of STs with even my spare being a brand new (Monday past) LT to match the installed ground LT tires

CWtheMan
08-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Generally speaking there is only one acceptable repair for your nail hole as long as it’s in the acceptable patch area in the treads.

It’s the plug-patch.

A tire’s strength is in the air pressure it holds. A properly plug-patched tire will hold the air just as the tire did before it was patched.

Steve S
08-20-2016, 12:26 PM
If it was me I'd just chuck it. A new $200.00 tire compared to a hwy accident that would trash your trailer, hurt maybe kill others seems like the smart choice :)

Tbos
08-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Duplicate post sorry.

Tbos
08-21-2016, 04:05 AM
5 New Carlisle HD load range D tires are in order. Since I now have an extra spare I will keep the best of my OEM tires as that extra spare. Thanks everyone.

sourdough
08-21-2016, 11:39 AM
Is the D load range an upgrade from the originals? I hope so.

Tbos
08-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Is the D load range an upgrade from the originals? I hope so.

OEM are load range C.

sourdough
08-21-2016, 02:27 PM
Excellent! OEMs just don't have enough capacity IMO.

Bill-2020
03-26-2024, 10:49 AM
So, is this thread still applicable to today’s Goodyear ST tires?

Yep- got a “foreign object” that looks like a screw or such. TireMinder i10 did its job and I saw the decreasing pressure before the alarm went off at about 72psi. I was already off the highway and in a gas station parking lot, then saw an RV Resort sign and I headed there for a safer area. They gave me an empty site and said to do as I need. Thank you TireMinder for saving the day! We were back on the highway in 30 minutes. And Thank You to the new resort in St. Augustine for your hospitality while I changed the tire!!