PDA

View Full Version : New Keystone Cougar Owner

JimHam
08-15-2016, 01:20 AM
Just bought a 2014 Keystone Cougar XLite 21RBS in excellent condition and can't wait to get out and use it. This is a big upgrade for us. We started with a slide in camper for my truck and got rid of that after about 3 years use. Too cramped. Then we went with a Starcraft 11 AT popup camper which we have used for about 10 years. It's been a great little camper but I am tired of putting it up and taking it down every time I use it. Oh, and no AC. My hobbies are hunting and dog training (labs) and I use my camper for hunting trips, and going to dog hunt tests and field trials so I get out about 20 times a year. Planning to retire soon and hope to travel extensively out west for sightseeing, dog events and hunting. Hoping to learn from experienced RV'rs on this forum.

14george
08-15-2016, 01:23 AM
:wlcm:from W Va congrats

JimHam
08-15-2016, 02:13 AM
Forgot to add that my tow vehicle is a 2012 Ford F-150 FX4 with tow package and the V6 Ecoboost engine. I am a little worried about towing with that Ecoboost engine after reading about some of the problems people are encountering with that motor now that it has been out and getting some mileage on it. I have 81K on mine and planning a spark plug change before towing my camper even though the F-150 owners manual says they are 100K plugs. Youtube videos put out by a Ford service tech show cracking of the plug body occuring around the 80K range. I have also had the problems with the intake building up moisture in wet conditions causing the engine to go into limp mode even though I have had the recommended factory modifications made to the engine - at my expense!! :mad: Considering a trade to a RAM with the V8 engine or even a diesel. My F150 has never lived up to the gas mileage ratings - not even close. Towing my new camper home over the mountains in NC I got about 7MPG.

notanlines
08-15-2016, 03:16 AM
Jim, welcome to the forum. In all those years in a pop-up, you won't know how to act in your Cougar. And one more thing: That 7 MPG is what all the half-tons are getting with smaller engines. Just accept it and get on down the road. You are well within the envelope of the towing capacity of that truck. Or you can trade it for a new F-250 diesel and open your billfold and turn it upside down.:D

CaptnJohn
08-15-2016, 05:25 AM
WoW!! Big change and you will enjoy the Cougar. My 2015 F150 EB had better than published MPG but towing MPG sucked with 7000#. When I moved to the 5er I moved to the F350 as well. You may feel more comfortable with more truck. Have fun!

Canonman
08-15-2016, 06:10 AM
:wlcm:
Good Forum with lots of experienced folks to help with questions of all sorts.
We're new Cougar owners as well. You will really enjoy the new experience of being in a 5er. Very livable and honestly pulls about the same as smaller travel trailers. If you're looking at upgrading the Ecoboost, you gotta look at the diesel options. We found a pre-owned Dodge Ram and have been very happy with that decision.
If you have any plans to travel out west we can help with some travel suggestions, National Park and off the beaten path sight seeing tips.

Alpine
08-15-2016, 07:52 AM
Hey Hey :wlcm: Wow, you're gonna love all that extra room!

Tbos
08-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy your new rig. If you decide to upgrade your TV go all the way to a 1 ton. That way if you ever decide to upgrade your TT again you won't have to worry about the truck.

Scootereh
04-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Recently towed our 28 rbs through the mountains of wv and nc on our way to myrtle beach. I have a 2016 f150 with the 5.0 v8 and was pleasantly surprised to be averaging 11-12 mpg. The v8 needs the revs more than the ecoboost to climb the hills but still does it with ease. Ive heard the eb get worse gas milage than the 5.0 when towing. But my fathers 2016 eb beats me when not towing by a mile or two better.

BuxCamper
04-11-2017, 12:10 PM
:wlcm: aboard!

ctbruce
04-20-2017, 07:05 AM
Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

busterbrown
04-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Welcome from Michigan! Safe travels.