PDA

View Full Version : simple green?

poopy
08-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Was wondering if anybody has used simple green in their holding tanks and if it helps break down solids. Thanks.

Desert185
08-05-2016, 09:47 AM
My guess is that it would work OK. I use Dawn from the Dollar Store, so SG as a similar degreaser should yield essentially the same results.

chuckster57
08-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Simple green is mainly a degreaser, so I don't believe it will break down solid waste. You need a "digester" for that.

Desert185
08-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Simple green is mainly a degreaser, so I don't believe it will break down solid waste. You need a "digester" for that.

My solid waste is not very solid when draining the black tank, and I use Dawn only. It is a holding tank and not a septic system. I wonder how effective a digester is when the black tank gets dumped as often as it does?

CWSWine
08-05-2016, 01:29 PM
My solid waste is not very solid when draining the black tank, and I use Dawn only. It is a holding tank and not a septic system. I wonder how effective a digester is when the black tank gets dumped as often as it does?

I don't put a chemicals in my black tank between dumps at the same campsite. One of the benefits of the failing infrastructure and the rough roads is adding 5 or so gallons of water and some chemicals to break down solids and acts like wash machine on the way home.

gearhead
08-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Dawn and Downey fabric softener been working OK. I did have to use a bottle of "perfume" once this spring. I think the Camco single dose.

shov
08-10-2016, 07:22 AM
I am not sure how beneficial digester type chemicals would be in a black water system since you'll be dumping the contents regularly. I think the most bang for your buck would be to ensure you completely flushing the black tank when you dump, have several gallons of fresh water added before you start off, and possibly add some Dawn and/or fabric softener in each tank. Just my .02 worth

Canonman
08-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Not intending to steal this thread but a question has come up with the DW and I.
We use 1 cup powdered laundry soap with 1 cup water softener (Borax) mixed with a couple gallons water in the tank after flushing. Is using dawn a more preferred product? How much to use?
Thanks

Murphsmom
08-10-2016, 08:05 PM
I think people use Dawn because it is already liquid. It is a good degreaser, though. I mix my powdered Calgon with warm water to get it going. That and some detergent with an occasional shot of bleach means we never need to use chemicals. Do a Google search for the Geo Method for cleaning the tank. Very informative,

gearhead
08-11-2016, 04:28 AM
I think people use Dawn because it is already liquid. It is a good degreaser, though. I mix my powdered Calgon with warm water to get it going. That and some detergent with an occasional shot of bleach means we never need to use chemicals. Do a Google search for the Geo Method for cleaning the tank. Very informative,
That is a good site. I've been using fabric softener but will switch to a water softener.

Canonman
08-11-2016, 05:17 AM
Thanks, just wanted to confirm we weren't missing anything.
According to The Geo Method web site by Charles Bruni, I thank we're doing things just about right. We have not included the bleach portion but we have not had any odors to warrant any further steps in the process other than the detergent and water softener. System is working well for us.

cpaulsen
08-11-2016, 03:12 PM
About 1 teaspoon of Riddex and Dawn soap is what I use