PDA

View Full Version : Awning tie downs

mets721
07-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Anyone using awning tie downs with the Cougar fifth wheel awnings? I've heard that you shouldn't use them with certain awnings and I'm not sure if the newer cougar awnings were compatible with tie downs.

chuckster57
07-31-2016, 05:25 PM
Electric awnings are not designed to be used with tie downs. That being said, some people improvise and make their own. I don't use any and don't recommend using anything. If the awning is flapping simply push the button to retract it.

cpaulsen
07-31-2016, 05:27 PM
I made my own pole and tie down set up for my electric awning.....worked very good........now I have a manual awning and still use my poles and tie downs."bouncey:

bagged123
08-01-2016, 06:01 AM
I don't use any and after seeing a TT using them and the awning getting ripped off from the TT, I've decided not to use them or recommend them. If it's windy and your awning is flapping, roll it it. If it's tied down, there is no give for the awning to it can and could rip

Brantlaker
08-01-2016, 08:28 AM
I used a set on my 2012 Cougar that worked very well. The day after i installed them we had winds gusting at 50+MPH and everything held up. I did not use them on my new 2016 Alfa as the design is different and I found out last winter in Florida when we were having Hurricane force winds and Tornados nearby I was glad that I didn't. People all around me at 2 in the morning were out in the rain disconnecting them.

Mike484
08-01-2016, 10:03 AM
The cost to replace an awning is way too much for me to gamble with the winds. Two rules of thumb I use; 1. If we are not using it (meaning that if we are not sitting under it), it gets rolled in. 2. If I wonder if there is too much wind, I roll it in.

I am in no hurry at all to have to replace our awning.

denverpilot
08-01-2016, 10:23 AM
I have a friend who's electric awning has survived some impressive stuff. The trick isn't only in the tie downs, it's also in stopping the "sail" from billowing. You have to run bungees over the top of the awning itself. If it can flap, it will tear apart. Doesn't matter what you do to hold the corners down once it starts slapping.

I just roll ours in.

WaltBennett
08-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Two previous TTs of ours had manual awnings and I used tie downs on both. One had a 22' awning and I was full-timing in it; left the awning out & tied down all summer long for three years with no problems at all. Our Monty has an electric one that has no where near as sturdy a frame and also is way too high to get a strap across easily. Kind of miss having some cover when it's raining, but there's no way to work something like that out on a fiver.

cpaulsen
08-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Two previous TTs of ours had manual awnings and I used tie downs on both. One had a 22' awning and I was full-timing in it; left the awning out & tied down all summer long for three years with no problems at all. Our Monty has an electric one that has no where near as sturdy a frame and also is way too high to get a strap across easily. Kind of miss having some cover when it's raining, but there's no way to work something like that out on a fiver.

That is why I made pvc awning poles.