PDA

View Full Version : "Novice" electrical question: is what I want to do, possible?

dirt33
07-30-2016, 11:02 AM
When it comes to anything related to electricity, I don't assume, I ask. This question will undoubtedly seem pretty naive to most, I am aware of that. I keep our generator mounted in the bed of the truck, and would like to run the air conditioning when going down the road some of the time (and am not willing to mount the generator behind the trailer). Obviously pulling the 30 amp cord out near the rear of the trailer and running it up the side of the trailer and into the truck bed (for in-motion travel) is not feasible.

Would there by any issue with having the electrical system of the trailer wired so that there are two separate places to "plug into", as follows:

1) Drop the coroplast, and route the current 30 amp cord up to the front of the trailer, and terminate it into something like this:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2ibp4xt.jpg

I would then plan to use a shorter cord to connect from this new receptacle that would be mounted on the frame of the trailer near the tongue, to the generator in the bed of the truck. Would plan to get a pogo stick like you see semi trucks use to hold their air lines up, to keep the power cord over the tailgate.

2) Run another line off of the power box in the trailer to the existing round hole on the side wall of the trailer, to mount a second receptacle like above.

Kinda confusing how I worded it, I know. I basically am wondering if it would be OK to have two different receptacles to plug campground or generator power into, to have an option of using either one depending on the situation? Not only would having the receptacle near the tongue make it possible to run the A/C when driving down the road, but it would also make it more convenient to power the trailer with the generator any time we don't have access to campground power.

I certainly wouldn't be doing all of the work myself, and would have an electrician neighbor help. (I am asking for advice here, as he is good with doing the actual work, but not so good at explaining things in terms that I can fully understand)

chuckster57
07-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Two separate shore power ports is fine. Just make sure you use Romex rated for the load. Since the wire from the existing plug to the breaker panel is probably large gauge, I would use a junction box, wire nuts and electrical tape to join the three. maybe an automatic transfer switch to isolate the two?

bobbecky
07-30-2016, 12:47 PM
Since he is not doing an installation such as needing a generator to back up utility power, and he would be either connecting to one or the other with his cable,he does not need to go the expense of an auto transfer switch. Just an ordinary manual two pole double throw switch would be more than adequate.

chuckster57
07-30-2016, 02:22 PM
Just an ordinary manual two pole double throw switch would be more than adequate.

Yeah, I thought about that, but placement of the switch may be an issue.

Larry1013
07-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Your design and thoughts are good. A double pole single throw switch is a nice to have but not necessary as long as you insure you only use your add-on power plug for when generator is running when stopped in transit to your next RV park.

chuckster57
07-30-2016, 04:18 PM
My thoughts were what if the other half wants to "help" and plugs in the other one in an effort to "keep the juice on" so you don't have to wait for the A/C compressor to go through its time out cycle.

dirt33
07-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.

Jgkopp
07-31-2016, 07:34 PM
You don't want to risk being able to plug into shore power and somehow have the gen feeding power already into the rig at the same time via a second receptacle. This is not allowed cause if there happen to be a power outage at the same time your doing this you are exposing power company workers to dangerous conditions as they fix wiring that should be off during an outage.

If you only have one receptacle and cord it can only be plugged into the shore power outlet or be plugged into the gen. It won't be a possibility of being both at the same time. That is how you want to do it if your not using an automatic switch over device. Some pre wiring may already be done if you have a built in gen prep compartment in the front.

dirt33
07-31-2016, 08:54 PM
I certainly would not ever plug into both at the same time. I know what you mean though about it being a dangerous hazard if by chance someone else would ever inadvertently plug the rear receptacle into a campground pedestal when the generator is already plugged in up front.

As I have thought more about this today, I believe I will now plan to simply route the existing 30 amp cord to the front of the trailer, install the receptacle shown above on the frame in that area, and will have that be the only place that power can be plugged into. Sure, it will be a bit less handy when plugging it at most campgrounds, given that the pedestal is generally towards the middle to rear of the trailer. But, it is worth using a long cable in those instances, to have the ability to alternatively plug the generator into that receptacle when driving down the road.

tommy_z
08-01-2016, 03:03 PM
An option I've considered for doing this is to install a transfer switch (WFCO makes them to piggy-back on the converter for $80) with separate wiring to a front receptacle for a genny. This way the shore power cord is unaffected and you get all the safety features.

first time 5er
08-01-2016, 03:16 PM
I would go with the one plug up front plan. If there's something in it you can't put something else in it (tx)