PDA

View Full Version : So I guess with fridge on automatic.....

msubobcats
07-29-2016, 12:41 PM
After doing some looking, seems like we can run the fridge on shore power or propane. I guess we can just switch to auto and leave the propane switched on and we are good to go. Thought I would add this is as we are booking down the road.
Thanks.

14george
07-29-2016, 01:41 PM
Leave mine on auto all the time

instymp
07-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Turn it off when when refueling at the gas station?

msubobcats
07-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Turn it off when when refueling at the gas station?

Switch off the propane, correct...

Yak
07-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Switch off the propane, correct...

Actually, the fridge has a flame that will burn for a while after shutting down the propane. Shutting the fridge down cuts the flame

JRTJH
07-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Actually, the fridge has a flame that will burn for a while after shutting down the propane. Shutting the fridge down cuts the flame

Additionally, turning the refrigerator to OFF disables the ignition circuit and will eliminate any "spark" ignition. If you turn the propane off (at the tank), eventually the flame will extinguish (when the propane in the lines is consumed) but the "sparker" will continue as long as the refrigerator is in the PROPANE or the AUTO mode, at least until the "safety interlock" disables the ignition circuit. The only way to eliminate the "spark" is to turn the refrigerator to OFF.

Tom N OH
07-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Also, beware of any tunnels you may travel through. Some may not allow you to go through at all, some may require you to turn your propane valves OFF at the cylinders.

Jgkopp
07-29-2016, 07:17 PM
When refueling a Diesel TV is one still required to turn off refrig? Keep in mind this is not refueling of gasoline it is Diesel fuel and it will not ignite when refueling, in fact, I have heard you don't even have to turn off the vehicle and that is nice when it is over 100° outside. I am guilty on both of these statements and I have always wondered if both are legal? What do the Feds say?

bsmith0404
07-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Not sure if there is a federal regulation on this, I can't imagine that there is. Personally, my fridge is about 25' from the fuel tank and pumps and I don't worry that much about diesel. I know some will disagree with me, but I leave mine running, well I used to. Now that I have an auxiliary tank and can go 1,000 miles between fill ups, I don't fill up at all while traveling during the day. I just stop for the night, unhook and fill up without dragging the 5er through the pumps.

jsmith948
07-30-2016, 06:02 AM
Depends on where I am getting fuel. If we are in a diesel only island, I don't bother turning off the fridge. I do turn it off if we are fueling at an island that has both gas & diesel. There will sometimes be a gas rig fueling at the pump right next to our trailer.

Barbell
07-30-2016, 07:41 AM
With a range of nearly 400 miles on our bone stock CTD, we almost never have to fuel when hooked up because we almost never travel more than 300 miles between campgrounds. If we do have to fuel hooked up, it is at a truck stop where there are no gas powered vehicles around. Yes, I know there are some states where non-commercial vehicles cannot fuel at a truck island. So, we leave the propane on and the refer running when traveling. Have yet to see a tunnel where propane is to be turned off. Anyone know where those are?

Tom N OH
07-30-2016, 06:31 PM
The tunnels on the PA Turnpike require you to turn propane off before you enter them. The Baltimore Harbor & Ft McHenry tunnels do not allow propane cylinders in excess of 10# AT ALL.

bobbecky
07-30-2016, 07:48 PM
From what the Maryland regs say, the propane system flames must be extinguished before getting close, but says the propane is OK on our rigs, if I'm reading this correctly.

11.07.01.04. 04 Tunnel Restrictions.. A. This regulation does not apply to fuel contained in the fuel system of the transporting vehicle, or in the fuel systems of vehicles and equipment being towed or carried.B. Flames used for heating vehicles or loads shall be extinguished before the vehicle enters any tunnel or its approaches.

CampingFan
08-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Had to turn my propane off last Tuesday on the way, and yesterday coming home on the ferry at Galveston. They actually watch and confirm that you turn it off.