PDA

View Full Version : I-88 (Schenectady, NY to Binghamton, NY)

Dave W
07-28-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm in the process of lining out our upcoming fall trip West. The easiest way to pick up I-81 then I-64 West is via I-88 from Schenectady. I have usually made a couple trips that way every year by now, but haven't this year. That road has gotten abysmally bad in places but there have been some sections repaved in the past couple years. Anyone been that way this year with an RV and is it as bad as in the past or have some improvements been made? If not, I'll do the alternate but longer I-87/I-84 to I-81.

bobbecky
07-28-2016, 05:15 PM
We went I-90 a couple years ago when we traveled from Lake George to Buffalo, and the road was good, and the toll was reasonable, towing our Montana.

Dave W
07-28-2016, 06:09 PM
We went I-90 a couple years ago when we traveled from Lake George to Buffalo, and the road was good, and the toll was reasonable, towing our Montana.

I agree with you on I-90 and its condition - we drove much of it last fall towing our 5er - actually to WY. I do disagree about the toll as it is as steep as anywhere in the US:(.

Unfortunately I-88 has not had the same updating as I-90, having never been totally repaved since built in the early 60s.

NavyMustang
08-11-2016, 11:35 AM
I drive 88 all the time for work and I don't think that it's all that bad. There has been a ton of construction work lately (mainly on the bridges), and I think that there have been some portions re-paved as well. I haven't traveled it in my rig yet, but I think you'd be ok.

(Picking up the Southern Tier Expressway (Rte 17/I-86) down in Binghamton though wouldn't be recommended heading west. That road blows!)

Dave W
08-23-2016, 03:30 PM
I-88 SUCKS!!!!!!:banghead:

The first few miles from Exit 25, Schenectady, not too bad with a bit of bridge repairs - then you run into about 20 miles of 2 way driving and construction at Oneonta followed by another 20 miles at the Binghamton end which is even worse. The I-88/I-81 interchange rebuild is better and almost done, but not marked well.

I-81 is a crime scene of interstates as far a PA driving.

danielm300
10-11-2016, 05:51 AM
We drove I-88 two weeks ago on a trip from Binghamton to Lake George. There are 2 or 3 seven mile stretches that are under construction (one lane each way). Other than that the road is good (by New York standards:))

schmeg
10-13-2016, 02:57 PM
We did I-88 two weeks ago also, end to end. Same input as Dave and Daniel. I didn't find it all that rough other than the two way stuff was horrible heading south because they have you halfway in the breakdown lane which makes it really rough. It appears they are nearly done in the northbound sections though. I found the I-81 section north of Scranton sucked in places. More importantly there is a section in Wilkes-Barre that is under construction and creates gridlock. We did this whole section twice last month and both times it was gridlock for 30 or so minutes. The drivers are crazy between Scranton and Hazleton. Its hilly, and people are driving like nuts. Unfortunately its a busy corridor for a reason. Its conveniently located. Long story short, I have less of an issue with I-88 than I-81.