PDA

View Full Version : GM driver alert package

Laredo291OH
07-28-2016, 02:47 AM
Had a dealer locate a new Silverado 3500HD for me, it comes with the driver alert package that includes the lane departure. If you leave your lane without signalling the seat vibrates or the truck beeps at you. Does anyone have that on their truck? If so, what do you think of it?

Tbos
07-28-2016, 03:04 AM
That would drive me nuts. How does it tell where the lane is? Here in Southern MD they sometimes use tape for temporary lines and it is never straight. That would be buzzing all the time. What kind of price are they giving you on the truck?

therink
07-28-2016, 03:30 AM
I have it on mine. While the theory is good, it drives me crazy. It works well on the highway but many false alarms during city driving. The camera senses when you cross a painted line on the road and don't have turn signal on.
I keep it turned off.

Laredo291OH
07-28-2016, 03:31 AM
There is a camera between the rearview mirror and the windshield that senses where the lines on the road are. If the truck crosses either line the seat will vibrate, or the truck will beep, drivers choice. The truck also has the forward collision, if you are following too close to the vehicle in front the truck will warn you. I'm buying at GM employee price, so the price is the same no matter where I buy, it's more that I want a 3500, long bed, SRW, CC diesel with the 5th wheel prep. Turns out that is kind of a rare beast within 500 miles of me.

Laredo291OH
07-28-2016, 03:32 AM
Hi therink,

Is it like the parking sensors and you have to turn it off every time? Or can you turn it off completely?

Tbos
07-28-2016, 03:34 AM
Sounds like s nice truck. I think I'd turn the lane departure toy off. The forward collision could be handy if you lose focus for a second.

therink
07-28-2016, 03:40 AM
Hi therink,

Is it like the parking sensors and you have to turn it off every time? Or can you turn it off completely?

You can completely turn it off, unlike the parking sensors which you have to turn off with each ignition switch cycle.

Laredo291OH
07-28-2016, 03:47 AM
that is good to hear, now I will get the truck. :) That was the only option that had me a little concerned. I think it will be nice on long RV trips but could be very annoying for all my daily driving.

roadglide
07-28-2016, 07:30 AM
2017 3500 is out I guess . I hear there is some power up grades with the ram scoop . I love my LML and it has more then enough power, braking and suspension but that doesn't keep me from eyeballing the new 3500 ext cab long bed . Lerado keep us informed.

Laredo291OH
07-28-2016, 07:41 AM
I'm getting a 2016 in Butte Red Metallic, whatever that is. :) I have done a lot of reading as this is my first diesel. I wanted to stick with the 2016, figured the 400 HP and 765 lbft of torque is plenty for me. The new 2017s scare me a little with the functioning hood scoop and air dryer. Seems a lot of things could go wrong, especially first year. Here are links to the KBB website announcement with pics of the the GMC and Chevy versions.

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2017-chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-revealed/2100000765/

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2017-gmc-sierra-denali-2500hd-unveiled/2100000744/

Desert185
07-28-2016, 08:16 AM
Had a dealer locate a new Silverado 3500HD for me, it comes with the driver alert package that includes the lane departure. If you leave your lane without signalling the seat vibrates or the truck beeps at you. Does anyone have that on their truck? If so, what do you think of it?

:banghead::banghead::banghead:😬🔫

ctbruce
07-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Sounds like a great truck. I had those options on a Traverse and really liked them. They were really more for the DW than me. I'm looking again next spring and will have them on the new truck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
07-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Personally, I've driven several different vehicles with a lane departure warning, I like it. I don't care for lane keeping assist which actually steers the vehicle. The departure warning only activates on roads where it can recognize lane markings and you cross the lane without using the turn signal. It is also deactivated at slower speeds so it won't be going off in areas such as parking lots. All of the vehicles I've driven with it, you actually needs to start crossing the lane before it activates so it's not going off just because you are getting close to the lane.

Laredo291OH
07-28-2016, 06:56 PM
Well, I will find out if I like it or not on Saturday when I pick the truck up. Thanks for all the replies. Once we have the truck I guess we can really start looking for a 5ver. :cool: I'm guessing the new truck won't even know our 30' TT is behind it. I need to do a lot of driving in the next week to get the 500 mile break-in finished. We have a camping trip scheduled for next weekend that is about 2 hours away and the following weekend we are headed to New Jersey (about 10 hours away) for my nephews graduation from basic training in the Coast Guard. Guess I might as well get to using the truck. :)

SADLY
07-29-2016, 02:40 AM
I have it on mine. While the theory is good, it drives me crazy. It works well on the highway but many false alarms during city driving. The camera senses when you cross a painted line on the road and don't have turn signal on.
I keep it turned off.

I have driven many brand new (2015, 2016) Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans as rental vehicles in Houston.

OMG... most irritating feature on earth. More false alarms than anything. It's fooled by all kinds of things.

I turn it off each time. I have tried to give it a chance..... no dice.

bsmith0404
07-29-2016, 03:51 AM
Is the new truck a duramax or gas?

Laredo291OH
07-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Hi bsmith,
It is a Duramax, my first diesel. Truck has a 5th wheel tow capacity of 16,900 and should have a payload of about 3500 based on similar trucks.

bsmith0404
07-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Hi bsmith,
It is a Duramax, my first diesel. Truck has a 5th wheel tow capacity of 16,900 and should have a payload of about 3500 based on similar trucks.

Not to Hyjack your thread, but I've put a lot of towing miles on the LML duramax, here are a few recommendations for you.

Add a deep tranny pan (I used a Mag Hytec, be sure to get the deep filter with it) and do a double change with TranSynd tranny fluid.

Add a deep rear differential cover (again I used Mag Hytec), stay with the OE rear diff fluid. It's recommended you do a change, I believe at 500 miles (basically after break in). The fluid is expensive, about $30 per qt, but works better with the Eaton rear gears than other fluids. The deep cover takes 7.5 qts to fill.

I also recommend getting a monitor such as the Edge Insight CTS. It allows you to see several items such as EGTs, MAP pressure, injector performance/balance, read and reset check engine codes and a whole lot more. It is probably the best investment I have made.

Finally, use only Racor or AC Delco fuel filters, AC Delco air filter, and Allison spin on tranny filter. These filters provide the best filtering and performance for the dmax. I buy all of my filters on line from Mad Jack Diesel Performance and Fleet Filter. As for oil filters, whatever your comfortable with is fine. I used to use Mobil 1 filters, but have switched to Baldwin.

I've also added a FASS system to mine, it's nice for the added fuel filtering capability as well as the lift pump aspect. I did not see any power or mileage gains, but I do like the additional filtering prior to the OE filter. It allows me to run the OE filter for 50k miles. The NAPA gold filters I use on the FASS system are changed at 25k miles, are easy to get to, and are only $8 each, the Racor OE filter is $30 and the easiest way to change them is to remove the inner fender. So the system has it's benefits. I also noticed the injectors are much quieter now, so maybe there is something to the microscopic air bubbles in the fuel that they claim. The truck was noticeably quieter as soon as I installed the system. It is expensive though and I'm not sure if it's really worth the cost for many owners.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Enjoy that new truck, they are amazing.

roadglide
07-29-2016, 08:23 PM
My LML transmission rearley will see 175 degrees towing in the MT in 100 degrees that is something to be noted http://myautomatictransmission.com/temperature-chart.htm My brother in law 2016 ford starts out at 180. I don't know if this chart is the norm if some body could enlighten me about transmission oil and heat.

JRTJH
07-29-2016, 09:03 PM
My LML transmission rearley will see 175 degrees towing in the MT in 100 degrees that is something to be noted http://myautomatictransmission.com/temperature-chart.htm My brother in law 2016 ford starts out at 180. I don't know if this chart is the norm if some body could enlighten me about transmission oil and heat.

Your brother in law's experience is very similar to mine. That said, I'm not sure how current the information on that webpage really is. The information may well have been a "factual predictor of transmission failure" with previous technology, but I don't think it's valid with today's transmissions and fluid. As an example, like you stated, my 2015 F250 transmission runs in the 190's when solo driving. My previous 2013 F250 gas truck transmission also ran very close (within a couple of degrees) but it was "conventionally cooled with a radiator mounted transmission cooler. On a hard pull, the transmission temp would rise significantly faster and higher than it does with the diesel. I believe it's the "secondary cooling system" used in Ford's diesel trucks.

Actually, the 2011 through current Ford diesel trucks have a "dual cooling system". One is the "conventional radiator cooling for the engine" just like every other truck. The "secondary cooling system" cools the engine oil, transmission fluid, fuel and the intercooler for the induction system. As such, the transmission temperature is "thermostatically controlled" and runs in the range of 190F to 200F under "normal conditions". There is a very good "information sheet" on the entire 6.7L system. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwib5KqVsJrOAhUK4SYKHbExCVMQFghfMAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forddoctorsdts.com%2Fdownload-2.php%3Ff%3D6.7L_Diesel-F.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE2r2te7Oy_UXPdMUoxgJWY2tZ7dg&bvm=bv.128617741,d.eWE Pages 23 through about 29 explain the dual cooling system strategy very well.

I never saw my engine or transmission temperature rise above about 206 or 208 on our trip to the Rockies last summer. Even on extremely steep, long mountain grades, the transmission never rose above 206, and solo driving it is "rock solid" at 194. On the "flats" in Michigan, it runs that same 194 when towing the Cougar. We're in the combined weight range of around 17,000 to 18,000 pounds when towing and around 8300 when solo.

So, the chart at that website apparently isn't accurately predicting "transmission failure" at 90K for the current Ford diesel automatic transmissions.

bsmith0404
07-30-2016, 04:12 AM
I've put over 100k towing miles on LMLs, my tranny temps are typically around 170. Before I added TranSynd I would see mid to hi 180s from time to time, the highest I've ever seen was 193. The temps have consistently been about 5-7 degrees cooler since doing a double change with TranSynd. A retired Allison Technician who was responsible for fluid testing has come out and stated that TranSynd consistently was the best fluid they ever tested for the Allison and he highly recommends it. My dad has an LBZ and he would see 190s pretty regularly with his, after he did the double change and added the deep pan his temps have dropped 10 degrees. It's an expensive process to do a double change with a deep pan, it takes 7 gallons at $45-50 per gallon, but it's much cheaper than a $5-6,000 transmission. BTW, the rep also said you can run the TranSynd for 100k miles, so that's actually less than one half cent per mile. Not too bad when you look at it that way. I don't actually do a double change at the 100k mile mark, I just drained the pan and dumped in another 3.5 gallons. I might drop the pan after another 50k miles and change the internal filter. The spin on gets changed every 10k miles.

roadglide
07-30-2016, 05:52 AM
With my LML I set the transmission monitor visible and notices the temp rises with the cruse control on by disabling that the temp will drop fast into the low 160 to 150s. Its got 60 K and due for a trans oil change, baldwin oil filters and I change allison trans filter every 10 K miles. I also use the oil monitor system and there is a lot of debate on that . Laredo has ask for opinions and comments no 2 vehicle are the same. I will suggest leaving it stock and do what it likes hauling.

Tbos
07-30-2016, 05:34 PM
Enjoy the new truck and let us know what 5er you end up buying.

Laredo291OH
07-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Well I brought the truck home today. Wowwww. My biggest problem is learning all of the electronics, good thing I have teenagers to help me. :) As far as modifications, I think everything will stay stock at least until the warranty runs out. As far as the tranny temps, I can't tell you what is best, I can tell you this though. My previous truck was a 2010 2500HD with the 6.0 gas. When towing thru the Big Horn mountains, the motor went to about 230 and the tranny was in the same range. We pulled over to let it cool down, checked the owners manual while setting there, it said that the motor temp was normal and the motor would go to 234 degrees when pulling thru the mountains. The owners manual also said the driver information center would give a warning when the transmission was too hot, it never did even at the 230 temp. That was when the truck had about 70K miles on it, I just traded it in with 120K miles and never had a tranny issue. I did have it flushed at 100K miles though.

bsmith0404
07-31-2016, 07:54 AM
IMO, leave it "stock" even after the warranty runs out. The modifications to the pan, diff cover and Edge CTS do not change performance setting and do not affect warranty. The Edge is not a programmer, it just allows you to see all of the details from sensors normally only visible to the dealership when they attach a scanner when you get a check engine light.

I have good example of it's uses: I had a EGT sensor go bad. #1 sensor right after the turbo, which is the one I have up on the screen so I was able to watch the readings go crazy then peg at 1870 degrees. The truck went into limp mode on I-10 just outside of Riverside, CA. I pulled off to the side, immediately brought up the other 3 EGT sensors, all were reading in the 600s. At that point I was confident that I had a bad #1 EGT sensor. I was able to reset the check engine light and erase the code taking the truck out of limp mode. I called the Chevrolet dealership in Palm Springs, they had a sensor in stock and would work me in since I was traveling. I went in, told them to skip the diagnostics and just change the sensor. I was back on the road in 45 minutes. Without the Edge, I would have been stuck on I-10 in limp mode, most likely been forced to call a tow truck and pay for diagnostics. The Edge paid for itself on that one occasion. It's also nice that I can set alarms when certain conditions exist, and I can also set up maintenance reminders for pretty much everything on the truck that requires routine maintenance.

Enjoy your new truck, they are nice.

Desert185
07-31-2016, 08:15 AM
Edge makes a nice product. Its nice to have the info and a means to deal with it. I have a tuner with an OBD reader that has saved me time, inconvenience and $$$.

Smarty makes a good one for Cummins with a mileage software option that increases mileage and power among the nine or so options available in the tuner. The ECU software can be returned to stock during the warranty period without any telltale evidence of a tune being installed.

Lots of nice options out there that provide valuable information.

Hankintu
08-22-2016, 03:23 AM
My 2013 Silverado 1500 had a digital read out on transmission temp. I cannot understand why they dropped that on the 2016. Now all I have is a warning light for high temps. WTH. I have the LTZ plus and Z71 packages so you would think that one of those would have the actual temp display but no.

bsmith0404
08-22-2016, 04:06 AM
An aftermarket product such as the Edge CTS would give you the ability to monitor the temps, set warning alerts, and maintenance schedules. It still has a sensor (obviously with the light) so the ability is there, you just need the gauge.

Desert185
08-22-2016, 07:12 AM
My 2013 Silverado 1500 had a digital read out on transmission temp. I cannot understand why they dropped that on the 2016. Now all I have is a warning light for high temps. WTH. I have the LTZ plus and Z71 packages so you would think that one of those would have the actual temp display but no.

The dumbing down continues. Maybe someone will develop a smartphone app...:banghead:

:)

jsmith948
08-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Can't agree more. We have the OBD II for our powerstroke. Bluetooth connection to my Android. I got it so I could monitor EGT on a long pull. Love all the other info such as being able to monitor coolant temps in both cooling systems as well regen intervals. It can even enhance the OEM TPMS. Love this technology. Originally was going to go with some after market A pillar gauges, but my DS told me about the OBD II - very happy with it.:)

Tbos
08-22-2016, 02:05 PM

Are you sure it's not a menu item that is currently not selected for display? My 2014 didn't display it at first and then a salesman spent about 1/2 hour with the book and truck figuring out how to get it to display. Hope that's the case for you too.

Laredo291OH
08-22-2016, 06:44 PM
My 2016 3500HD Silverado was the same way, I had to add the trans temp to the display in the gauge cluster. I was surprised to find that my 3500HD SRW doesn't have TPMS. Apparently if a vehicle is over 11000 GVW it's not required, the SRW 3500HD with a Duramax has a GVW of 11600, so no tire pressure monitor. Or at least, no way to monitor if it does have it. Of course, I haven't had my teenagers out there yet to show me all of the electronics. You would think for the price and what the truck will be doing, the would still include it.

GMcKenzie
08-23-2016, 05:11 AM
I'm with tbos. be sure you just haven't got the display turned off. I can't see why they would make that change from 15 to 16.

Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgAc6WRoPq4

Hankintu
08-25-2016, 02:51 AM
Are you sure it's not a menu item that is currently not selected for display? My 2014 didn't display it at first and then a salesman spent about 1/2 hour with the book and truck figuring out how to get it to display. Hope that's the case for you too.

You guys were right, even the dealer (Toyota dealer who owned a '12 GMC) thought it was missing. He said his uncle bought one and commented on no temp gauge in his new truck. It is there, just like the video that GM supplied. One exception is that mine doesn't have a settings mode, you just got to dig deep in the Information mode. Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated.

Tbos
08-25-2016, 03:31 AM
Glad you were able to get it to show.

GMcKenzie
08-26-2016, 07:33 AM
Will say it is one thing I'm disappointed in in my truck. Last truck I had an Edge CTS that I could configure to show up to 8 items at once. I wish the DIC on these things was more customisable. I'd like to see the speed screen with temps on the sides, V4/V8 mode on the bottom and something to show the actual gear you are in (which I can't get at all). Instead of having to flip from screen to screen to see temps etc.