PDA

View Full Version : mislabeled tanks

tinman50
07-26-2016, 02:52 PM
we bought a new 311 impact this year we use it mostly for back country dry camping. we believe the factory may have mislabeled the drain valves on our waste water tanks. in our water system control panel the upper valve is labeled grey water and the lower black. after mounting a clear extension with an end valve on our dump pipe the water coming out of the supposed grey tank is brown and the the black shows clear or cloudy. i wonder if the valves are correctly labeled .

JRTJH
07-26-2016, 03:50 PM
It's been almost 6 months since someone posted that their new trailer has mislabeled tank valves. I guess they reassigned the "old guy" back to decal/label duty again......

tinman50
07-27-2016, 12:31 PM
i figured it had happened before.

BlueknightWI
07-28-2016, 03:31 AM
Tinman,
I have the same camper and I bet mine is mislabeled as well. I will need to look into this next time we camp. I've wondered why the grey tank stinks so much! Dammit.

xcntrk
07-28-2016, 03:39 AM
Happened to me too on a 2017 model that I just bought in June!

Both the front black and gray tanks had the release valve handles in the basement access mislabeled (backwards). ALSO, both my Generator and separate Accessory fuel tanks were mislabeled on the outside as well. I kept filling what was said to be the "Generator" tank and the fuel level kept reading empty. After about 10GA I realized something was definitely wrong. Sure enough, half full on the accessory tank. It's easy to solve however, first time I've even ran the fuel station and pumped from one tank to the other on the same coach! :D

lesleyinky
07-28-2016, 06:43 AM
Never mentioned it but the '16 Cougar we bought 3 months ago was mislabeled as well. Black tank had been labeled as a gray and vice versa. We suspected it first trip out but confirmed it by the second trip [emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjsurfer
07-28-2016, 10:31 AM
This is a long standing "gag" that the production line has been using forever. My 2007 Cougar had the same mislabelling.

I can laugh about it know, but 9 years ago it wasn't so funny, OK, maybe it was.

Ron W

xcntrk
07-28-2016, 10:51 AM
This is a long standing "gag" that the production line has been using forever. My 2007 Cougar had the same mislabelling.

I can laugh about it know, but 9 years ago it wasn't so funny, OK, maybe it was.

Ron W
What's even funnier is how my Black tank release valve had too much cable which prevented the valve from closing all the way. So while in transit and/or overtime anything in the black tank would leak into the sewage line gathering behind the twist cap. So when you arrive at a campground and go to hook up the shore sewer line, first twist of the cap and BAM - flood of black tank fluid from a leaky valve on a brand new coach.

Yeah, that one was funny Keystone... :bm:

rbev2308
07-28-2016, 06:26 PM
What's even funnier is how my Black tank release valve had too much cable which prevented the valve from closing all the way. So while in transit and/or overtime anything in the black tank would leak into the sewage line gathering behind the twist cap. So when you arrive at a campground and go to hook up the shore sewer line, first twist of the cap and BAM - flood of black tank fluid from a leaky valve on a brand new coach.

Happened to me first time out with my Alpine so I resolved this ever happening again. Got mine from Amazon.

http://www.loveyourrv.com/twist-on-waste-valve-tip/

1st Chev Diesel
07-29-2016, 07:04 AM
Happened to me first time out with my Alpine so I resolved this ever happening again. Got mine from Amazon.

http://www.loveyourrv.com/twist-on-waste-valve-tip/

Had the same problem. Solved with the twist on valve.

Laredo240MK2015
07-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Our 2015 Laredo 240MK was also mis-labled from the factory. At least the valves are the correct color. Speaks to other quality issues. Our table is assembled wrong so is not level when set up. After one year of complaining, I will fix it by changing the way the table is mounted to the camper.

Steve

BlueknightWI
07-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Tinman50,
Are my valves labeled the same as yours were? Here is my Impact 311 valves.

tinman50
07-29-2016, 07:54 PM
my valves are labeled the opposite.(tx)

msp2jxr
08-04-2016, 07:09 AM
I also bought a 311 Impact and last timeout camping I realized my black and grey water tanks were labeled backwards also.... That reminds me I need to change the labeling on those....LOL

SAABDOCTOR
08-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Nice to know keystone is being consistent after all these years:d

Sparks
08-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Yeah mine too! 2016 raptor 300MP. How did you repair it?

msp2jxr
08-19-2016, 06:48 AM
I bought a 311 Impact in March. My grey and black water tanks were labeled backwards as well. I figured it out the second time I used it. Other than that no other issues have cropped up. Hope you enjoy your 311.

fjrandy
08-22-2016, 05:06 AM
Have a Carbon 33 which are labeled backwards

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jsmith948
08-22-2016, 07:00 AM
After having read many, many of these posts, I have deduced that the problem isn't that someone at the Keystone plant is poorly trained or just 'making a mistake'. It is, IMHO, an ongoing prank. Someone having a little fun at our expense. It is either a malicious act perpetrated by a disgruntled employee or a prank perpetrated by someone with a warped sense of humor. One has to wonder, after so many instances where the labels are backwards; why doesn't Kestone tell the guy affixing the labels to simply 'Knock it off!'.
BTW, our Cougar was built in Oregon. Labels were correct. It would be interesting to document in which plant the mislabeled trailers are being built.
Just sayin' - FWIW:)

lesleyinky
08-23-2016, 12:15 PM
After having read many, many of these posts, I have deduced that the problem isn't that someone at the Keystone plant is poorly trained or just 'making a mistake'. It is, IMHO, an ongoing prank. Someone having a little fun at our expense. It is either a malicious act perpetrated by a disgruntled employee or a prank perpetrated by someone with a warped sense of humor. One has to wonder, after so many instances where the labels are backwards; why doesn't Kestone tell the guy affixing the labels to simply 'Knock it off!'.

BTW, our Cougar was built in Oregon. Labels were correct. It would be interesting to document in which plant the mislabeled trailers are being built.

Just sayin' - FWIW:)

Where do I look to see where mine was built?

jsmith948
08-23-2016, 12:23 PM
Well, ours is a Cougar half ton series. These are built in Oregon. You can go on keystones website and learn whether yours is a west coast or east coast edition. Also, the tags on our axles indicate that they were delivered to the Oregon plant.

JRTJH
08-23-2016, 12:52 PM
This is NOT an excuse for what the plant does, but if you've ever walked the line, it's fairly easy to see "how" it could happen. When the frame chassis is first brought into the plant, it's upside down, on rollers. The bottom coroplast is installed, gas line is next, the axles and wheels are installed, any "auto leveler system" is installed and the chassis is turned up on its tires. Then the "below the floor components are installed, starting at the coroplast: silver bubble wrap, insulation, tanks, wiring, gas line "stubs" are attached, plumbing, tank valves and Bowden cables are installed with the handles through the chassis rail or, in the case of "convenience centers" the handles and cables are taped to the top of the chassis. Then the floor is laid on top of that assembly. All of the electrical wiring, LP "stubs", water lines, sewer lines and the Bowden cables/dump valve handles are pulled through the floor holes in the appropriate location.

After carpet, vinyl, walls, cabinets, etc is installed, the convenience center is put into position and those two handles are attached to the plastic wall. With two handles and two places to put them, there's a 50/50 shot at getting it right. Come to think about it, with two Bowden cables on two handles coming through a 1" hole from under a "dark cavern called the basement, there's no "real test to be sure which is which."

I know, with a gray handle and a black handle, any worker "should be able to know which is which".... but, was the correct Bowden cable attached to the correct tank? were the valves glued to the correct tank? were the handles installed on the correct Bowden cable?
Come to think of it, maybe it's not a 50/50 chance. Seems like there's a greater possibility of getting it wrong than getting it right.....

As I said, I'm not trying to "defend" the factory, but with all that's going on as trailers get "pushed sideways down the line and shift workers change jobs" I'm not real surprised that there's no "regular crewchief" that checks the handle operation. But, one would think the selling dealership would make sure the valves work for the proper tank during the PDI......

Just my 2 cents worth..............

jsmith948
08-23-2016, 01:45 PM
Good points John, This should be on the dealer.

brad05
08-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Mine were labeled backwards as well. 2017 Keystone Raptor 355TS. I caught it right away since I have a clear adaptor connector. I first thought, damn that toilet pouch i threw in there was really powerful!!!lol.... Then I got the joke!

Aintgoneyet
09-14-2016, 07:47 PM
Late to the party here....... with my 2016 Impact 311, the same issue with wrong labels on the tanks. Also, just as Xcntrk mentioned, mine was ditto on the cable slack and the (real) black water gate didn't shut. Boy was I a "funny" guy at that dump station on the first trip out with the trailer (and on a crowded holiday weekend to boot) as I removed that twist cap.:surprise: Coupled with several other quality issues, I'm convinced mine went through the assembly line at about 3:00 PM on a Friday afternoon!

JRTJH
09-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Late to the party here....... with my 2016 Impact 311, the same issue with wrong labels on the tanks. Also, just as Xcntrk mentioned, mine was ditto on the cable slack and the (real) black water gate didn't shut. Boy was I a "funny" guy at that dump station on the first trip out with the trailer (and on a crowded holiday weekend to boot) as I removed that twist cap.:surprise: Coupled with several other quality issues, I'm convinced mine went through the assembly line at about 3:00 PM on a Friday afternoon!

Sad part is, it seems your dealer "blew through your PDI" late on a Friday afternoon as well. Without knowing what other quality issues you've got, there's really no excuse for the dealership not to function check the tank valves, if not for "correct tank connections" at the very least, to make sure they are functional. It's the dealership's job to make sure your trailer is functional and ready for delivery. Checking the valves to make sure your tanks don't leak is a vital part of that PDI.

Lawdog
09-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Mine too. Discovered it when I added a clear hose connector at waste tube exit. Thought it looked a little nasty for a gray tank. Confirmed when I used the black tank flush.

lonewolftx
09-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Yes our Fuzion 2016 F420 was mislabeled as well, genset and toy pump tank labels reversed. Was a real PITA to figure out in the dark when the genset ran dry and I couldn't figure out why.:(

John&Genny
04-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Ron W

If it is indeed a "gag", it's not a very funny one and very unprofessional. It's one of those "Attention To Detail" items that sets one manufacturer apart from another. After paying tens of thousands of dollars on a new RV, it's not too much to ask to have the linkages or labels to be installed correctly.

JRTJH
04-27-2017, 10:58 AM
If it is indeed a "gag", it's not a very funny one and very unprofessional. It's one of those "Attention To Detail" items that sets one manufacturer apart from another. After paying tens of thousands of dollars on a new RV, it's not too much to ask to have the linkages or labels to be installed correctly.

I wouldn't think that the assembly line workers sit around "chuckling" over making your life miserable. There's also the "old fable" about the car assembly line worker who used to drop a loose bolt into the fender cavity before welding the space shut. Rumor has it that every owner of that brand of car "used to go nuts" trying to find the rattle for as long as they owned the car. Like Keystone's "legendary problem" it's not a "gag" as much as it is a "metaphorical annoyance" that your dealership ought to have found before he delivered the trailer to you.

The next time you're at your dealer's place of business, stop in and express your feelings with someone there who can make a difference. There's nobody from Keystone or from your dealership that's "listening" to you vent here. It might make you "feel better" to express your dissatisfaction on the forum, but, for the most part, "nobody's listening" (except people who can't fix it for you).....

And, if two "mislabeled handles" is the biggest problem you've found with your RV, you're in some pretty good company, maybe today's a good day to buy a lottery ticket, your luck is much better than most.

John&Genny
04-27-2017, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't think that the assembly line workers sit around "chuckling" over making your life miserable. There's also the "old fable" about the car assembly line worker who used to drop a loose bolt into the fender cavity before welding the space shut. Rumor has it that every owner of that brand of car "used to go nuts" trying to find the rattle for as long as they owned the car. Like Keystone's "legendary problem" it's not a "gag" as much as it is a "metaphorical annoyance" that your dealership ought to have found before he delivered the trailer to you.

The next time you're at your dealer's place of business, stop in and express your feelings with someone there who can make a difference. There's nobody from Keystone or from your dealership that's "listening" to you vent here. It might make you "feel better" to express your dissatisfaction on the forum, but, for the most part, "nobody's listening" (except people who can't fix it for you).....

And, if two "mislabeled handles" is the biggest problem you've found with your RV, you're in some pretty good company, maybe today's a good day to buy a lottery ticket, your luck is much better than most.

Oh I realize that nobody from Keystone sits here and reads the forum, and I did let my dealership know already about the switched tanks and something they may consider checking as part of their PDI. Here I was just mainly venting and stating my opinion, hope that's OK :)

Considering we have only owned our 320RS about a month now, I'll hold off buying that lottery ticket until the end of summer. If by then we have no major issues with the rig, then I'll head to our local convenience store for that ticket :)

ctbruce
04-28-2017, 03:27 AM
No harm no foul. This just happens a lot. If it's not a part of the PDI checklist it should be. It's especially bad when they get the black and grey mixed up.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170428/1b19ed923247c197ddb11d13a944cb39.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

gkainz
04-28-2017, 06:19 AM
Larry the Label guy was home sick on the day my Keystone rolled across station, so I got no stickers at all. I guess that's better than mis-labeled, since it made me not assume anything, and find the answer myself.

Made my own labels and all is right in the black vs grey handle world.

BTW, for me, at least "Back is Black"...

66joej
04-28-2017, 06:22 AM
Larry the Label guy was home sick on the day my Keystone rolled across station, so I got no stickers at all. I guess that's better than mis-labeled, since it made me not assume anything, and find the answer myself.

Made my own labels and all is right in the black vs grey handle world.

BTW, for me, at least "Back is Black"...

Larry the Label guy!:lol::lol::lol:

Clyde
04-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Had the same mislabeling happen on my Impact 311. Took a little bit to figure it out.