PDA

View Full Version : Towing a Passport 3220BH with an F-150

lab530
04-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Well....we decided to step back from Laredo 303TG and ended up purchasing The Passport 3220 BH. I think this will be the best as far as safe towing guidelines and not pushing it. Has anyone ever pulled this passport with a
2006 F-150 Supercrew, 5.4l and 3.55axle or any 1500 series. The dry weight of this TT is 6200.

Festus2
04-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Have you done a Forum Search as there are numerous posts about towing with a 1/2T --- and some very lively ones which you will find interesting and informative. Matching TT with TV's has been discussed at great lengths here so you should find plenty of posts and comments.

heatkits
04-23-2011, 11:09 AM
I've towed trailers a lot heavier than those with my F150, although it's a 8200 GVW with 410 gears, I've never had a problem. I tow my 5 ton dump trailer once a month, a 10,000 lbs boat a few hundred miles a year and my 34' TT over 7K miles a year. I live in NH and we have plenty of mountains to contend with too. I've never had any "white knuckle" moments and keep up with everyone else on the mountain grades.

But then again, I grew up on a farm in VT and you should have seen the junk we had to use there. It's not so much the truck, but more the driver. Don't wait for the tuck to decide when to shift, kick it down early and keep the RPMs up and you'll have plenty of power. Remember the peek horse power is around 4K, it sounds bad, but it not.

lab530
04-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Have you done a Forum Search as there are numerous posts about towing with a 1/2T --- and some very lively ones which you will find interesting and informative. Matching TT with TV's has been discussed at great lengths here so you should find plenty of posts and comments.

Not sure how about to do that...as I am new to this. I went to search forum and typed in towing with 1/2 ton....or how do I go to that particular forum? Thanks!!

Wing-in-it
04-24-2011, 05:55 AM
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2006/06RVttslctrp16Jan06.pdf

Looks like you'll be fine!

I hope this helps.

Mark

Festus2
04-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Not sure how about to do that...as I am new to this. I went to search forum and typed in towing with 1/2 ton....or how do I go to that particular forum? Thanks!!

Good Morning...
Further to the PM's that we have exchanged re your search..........
I typed in "Towing with F150" in the search box.
Below the search box, you are given 2 options (search in Thread or search in Posts) . I chose "Posts". Select "Go".
By doing this, I found 20 posts. Click on whatever post you want to read.
You can do the same thing if you select Thread. You will get 15 threads and click on whatever thread you want to look at.
Hope this helps. If not, send me another PM and we will figure it out.
It is a useful tool to be able to use - not only for this topic but for others as well.
It can save time by finding out possible solutions and also saves members from having to repeat the same answers to the same questions.

lab530
04-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Festus2....Thanks you so much for going above and beyond to helping me find the answers I am looking for...you have helped me out a lot. Enjoy this nice Easter day!!

CampDestinations.com
04-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi lab530 - I posted my reply to your message yesterday in the wrong place. I towed my 3220BH with my 1500 Suburban and did ok at 55mpg for about 260 miles. Used a little more than 1/2 tank of gas towing. In the hills, it struggled until I kicked the transmission down and got the RPMs up to ~4500, then it accelerated up them. The truck will feel it's back there, but will tow it. I can't vouch for big mountain grades though as I haven't done that yet.

robo
12-28-2013, 06:09 AM
I know its an old thread but wanted to chime in i tow ow with bertha. My 03 f150 crew did 1200 miles this year with it.