PDA

View Full Version : Outside wall flexes

Gadgetmonster
07-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Outside on the rear of our 2015, 33res the exterior wall panel flexes when you lean on it. Pushes in a good 1/4" in the center of the wall about 5-6 ft off the ground. Should this exterior wall panel be glued/fastened solidly to another structure? . It concerns me. Does anyone else's flex like that?

beermanjoe
07-19-2016, 05:54 PM
Noticed my 2015 2810 Passport does the same thing. Was also wondering the same thing.

slow
07-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Whereas the side walls are a bonded wall assembly and feel rigid, the rear is not. What you are witnessing is normal for a rear wall since it is anchored only around the perimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRTJH
07-19-2016, 06:08 PM
The side walls on Keystone's "fiberglass" (FILON) trailers are vacuum formed. That means they are "solid" and there is no "flexing" when you push (gently) on them. The front cap is molded on the more expensive models. On the less expensive models, the front cap is "free floating" and similar to the rear wall on almost all of Keystone's trailers. The rear wall is attached around the edges and where windows, vents, lights and other fixtures are attached. The rear wall, only on the most expensive models is like the front cap, a fiberglass cap.

As such, the rear wall will flex when you push on it, and will "expand when in the sun" and may tend to "oil can" (seem too large and bulge in places) when it is in direct sunlight on a very hot day. This is normal and no cause for concern. However, as with all "screwed and glued" joints, the rear wall, along with all the other walls, roof and caps should be inspected regularly to assure the caulking is secure and the joints remain water tight.

Gadgetmonster
07-20-2016, 02:44 AM
So the rear wall is fastened around the perimeter and places like the window mounting. That is good news. Thanks.

chuckster57
07-20-2016, 04:49 AM
Very common construction, not limited to Keystone products.

beermanjoe
07-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Very good news. Thank you