PDA

View Full Version : Atwood GC6AA-10E works on electric, but not propane

Famof4
07-17-2016, 12:40 PM
We have a 2013 Springdale BHSS294. We have an Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater. When the switch for electric is chosen, the water heater works fine, but when we flip it over to gas the red indicator light pops on, and no hot water. We do not even hear it " clicking" to try to light. We replaced the ignitor with no luck. Any insight as to the problem would be appreciated. I searched the forum, and did not find any help, most people seem to have the opposite problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tbos
07-17-2016, 12:49 PM
I know you would have thought of this but make sure you have plenty of propane. Do you smell propane outside near the WH when it's trying to light? Do you hear it trying to ignite? Sorry for all the questions. I hope you figure it out. FYI, Chuckster57 and JRTH have a lot of experience and might be able to help.

chuckster57
07-17-2016, 01:43 PM
The red indicator light is actually the DSI fault indicator.

First thing I would try is taking the connector from the wiring to the control board off. Closely inspect all the connection surfaces for any corrosion. If that doesn't do anything, then make sure the thermostat reset hasn't popped. There are two, one for the electric side and another for the LP side. The resets should be under rubber tabs.

Beyond that, you will need to remove the cover on the resets and check for loose or broken wires. After that the control board will need testing.

Famof4
07-18-2016, 04:52 AM
We have 2 full propane canisters, and no smell of propane when trying to light, and no clicking sound either. There is a faint noise, but not the normal clicking sound when it is trying to light.
Where are these reset buttons you are referring to Chuckster? We have already gone through and checked all connections for corrosion, and cleaned them all. Still no luck. I don't see any place for these reset buttons. Thanks to both of you for your help.

JRTJH
07-18-2016, 05:08 AM
Check this link for troubleshooting steps. http://beamalarm.com/Documents/atwood_water_heater_troubleshooting.html

There is a section describing the detailed troubleshooting for almost every malfunction.

Good Luck and any questions, post them.