PDA

View Full Version : Basement wall access

rbev2308
07-16-2016, 11:03 AM
Ok I am looking for some ideas. I have searched the entire modification area of this site and several websites. I am not a fan of the access to my water heater, furnace ducting, pump and other stuff after having a semi-emergency and having to remove like 24 screws just to get behind the wall. I think I remember seeing another 5er while out camping that had some sort of paneling or track system to slide doors open. Anyone have any ideas/pics they can share or other sites cause I am definitely going to modify this thing and desire to do soon as I want to mount my outside tv bracket with quick disconnect for my tv and headed out to Myrtle Beach in one month. Thanks in advance.

bsmith0404
07-17-2016, 05:39 AM
Three thoughts come to mind:
- take the screws out and install 1/4 turn fasteners such as the ones in this link to make removal easier. You may have to add some different backing for the receptacles in some spots. This would make removal quick and easy compared to the screws. Yu could also probably reduce the number.

https://www.fixtureworks.net/store/pc/Quarter-Turn-Metal-Knob-c2049.htm

-option 2, add slide panels. Slide panels would only need to install a 1x2 with a dado cut for the panels to slide in. You may have to put a 1x2 on the back side of the framing as well for support, basically sandwich the existing wall. Then just cut your new wall panel out of 1/4" plywood and wrap it in the same carpet as what's on your existing wall.

-option 3, The hinged panels is the same concept except you add reinforcement on the back side of each panel to support a piano hinge. You could also use the 1/4 turn fasteners to lock them in place. I would place the hinge at the top for a couple reasons. 1- they won't fall open if the lock comes loose. 2-you can add an eye bolt with a hook to give you a way to hook them up/open while you're trying to work in the space without them being in the way of where you're working.

Each has it's pros and cons, slide panels can be opened without removing everything from the basement, but cannot be as large of an opening because you have to clear other objects in the basement to slide them.

The other options have to have the basement emptied for access, but can give you a full size opening.