PDA

View Full Version : Black Tank Filling too fast

TonyCO
07-14-2016, 01:09 PM
We purchased our Laredo LHT 25BH almost a year ago and have been really happy. The only thing I can complain about is the black tank seems to fill quickly. We are rookies so I figured my wife and two kids were just dumping a lot of water on every flush. We were dry camping a few weeks ago and our site was within a short distance to very clean restrooms. We tried to use the state park
facilities much as possible and by the end of our stay I was surprised to see the black tank sensors reading 2/3 full. Long story even longer, I finally figured out our bathroom sink is draining into the black tank. I called Keystone to get them to send my dealer a work order to fix their plumbing mistake and Keystone told me that was the design????

Just wondering if it is indeed normal? I guess we can start using the kitchen sink for hand cleaning and brushing teeth. Ugh. Is this a bad design or am I missing something. Thanks.

Lee
07-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Huh!!! Normal!!!!!????

Does the shower also drain into the black tank? As close together as the shower and sink are they should be plumbed together to the gray tank. It would be crazy to plump the shower to grey and the sink to black.

Good luck,

first time 5er
07-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Hmmmm never heard of any sink being plumbed to the black tank

Tbos
07-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Doesn't sound right to me either.

SADLY
07-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Hmmmm never heard of any sink being plumbed to the black tank

I've heard of many people stating that their bath sink (or even shower) was plumbed into the black tank.

Not saying it's right. Just not terribly surprised.

SLIMSHADIE
07-14-2016, 06:45 PM
My outside kitchen sink drains into the black tank, found out the hard way a few years ago. Called Keystone and they also said it was the design. Now with that said and now I know. So if I was dry camping I would try to avoid that sink altogether.
A sink draining into the black tank isnt necessarily a bad thing if you are at a campsite with hookups. It dilutes the black tank and Im always handwashing with that sink so soapy water is going into it. While draining the black tank I now use the tank flush and turn the sink on full blast to help rinse it out. Its also easier to add a little dawn and calgon thru the sink than the toilet, all from outside, in my situation.

14george
07-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Got 240 MK shower and bathroom drains into black tank do not like that poor design

ROLIN JOSEPH
07-14-2016, 07:54 PM
TonyCo,
I don't like the idea of soapy chemical water being dumped in the tank where you are using organic additive septic tank treatment, but you can't easily do too much about the design flaw.
With two kids may I suggest a water shutoff gate valve (see pictures), so that you can have some control over 'too much' flushing. Every flush is a whole lot of water and is not always needed if you get my drift.
This should make your black tank fill up less quickly.

theeyres
07-14-2016, 08:34 PM
My best guess, and that is all it is, is that most of us fill up the gray water tank much faster than the black. When we dry camp we often catch the sink water in a bowl and dump it into the black tank to keep the gray tank from filling so fast. So maybe Keystone tries to equal it out by this type of plumbing...Who knows...

TonyCO
07-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Huh!!! Normal!!!!!????

Does the shower also drain into the black tank? As close together as the shower and sink are they should be plumbed together to the gray tank. It would be crazy to plump the shower to grey and the sink to black.

Good luck,

I agree. I thought it was definitely a mistake. The shower drains into the 30 gallon grey tank all by itself and the kitchen sink drains into a separate 30 gallon grey tank. Thank you all for the responses. After reading, I guess grey space is important to some. I guess we will stop using the bathroom sink drain and go with a basin or just use the kitchen sink more. Thank you.

jsmith948
07-15-2016, 06:41 AM
If you can access the underbelly, take a look at how your trailer is plumbed, then take some measurements - go to Lowes - get some pipe, fittings and ABS solvent cement and re-plum the thing. To me, that would be WAY easier than fighting with Keystone (or the dealer). If you want it done right.........
Good luck.:)

Mike484
07-15-2016, 07:11 AM
It would cost Keystone money to fix it and the dealer wont make much money fixing it so depending on this probably wont get you anywhere.

I am looking for an RV repair shop that does not sell RVs, theres a couple good ones here in Houston. I will start useing them for most repairs that are not major warranty items and not depend on our dealership who has proven to me that they cannot be depended on anyway.

TonyCO
07-15-2016, 07:07 PM
It would cost Keystone money to fix it and the dealer wont make much money fixing it so depending on this probably wont get you anywhere.

I am looking for an RV repair shop that does not sell RVs, theres a couple good ones here in Houston. I will start useing them for most repairs that are not major warranty items and not depend on our dealership who has proven to me that they cannot be depended on anyway.

Oh there is nothing to be fixed, Keystone made it clear that is the intended design.

CaptnJohn
07-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Happily, my galley drains into the galley tank, the toilet drains into the black tank, and the bathroom sink and shower drain into the 2nd gray tank. Seems that is really how the designers meant it to be and saying different is an excuse for a screw up. Maybe they only need one tank ~~ by design of course. :confused:

TonyCO
07-15-2016, 07:57 PM
They made it sound like on a smaller trailer they want to give the customer as much grey as possible. Doesn't make sense to me, but being a rookie I am glad to hear everyone's opinion.

4LowNGo
07-16-2016, 04:59 AM
Interesting, wonder if that's how mine is plumbed. My black tank fills awfully fast.

TonyCO
07-16-2016, 06:19 AM
Interesting, wonder if that's how mine is plumbed. My black tank fills awfully fast.

I emptied all three tanks and then turned on the bathroom sink to see where it was going. If you take a lot of showers while camping then this appears to be a good design. I don't like to shower tons because I want to conserve fresh water, but I guess we wash our hands a lot in the bathroom sink. So to some it may be advantageous, just not for me.

Desert185
07-16-2016, 06:49 AM
Well, for me its a dumb design if the gray water goes to the black tank. If I'm boondocking I can drain some gray, but I can't drain black water.

If I were buying a trailer at this point I would check the system before buying. Gray to black? I'm walking back.

TonyCO
07-16-2016, 07:10 AM
I agree, a little soapy water every once in a while isn't going to kill the environment. The keystone rep said definitely no problem to call and they will pull up the schematics to tell you exactly what is up. I will absolutely look into it before my next purchase.

Blackbears
05-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Well, for me its a dumb design if the gray water goes to the black tank. If I'm boondocking I can drain some gray, but I can't drain black water.

If I were buying a trailer at this point I would check the system before buying. Gray to black? I'm walking back.

I'm with you. The dealer would be changing that before I took ownership.:eek:

CaptnJohn
05-16-2017, 09:07 PM
I agree, a little soapy water every once in a while isn't going to kill the environment. The keystone rep said definitely no problem to call and they will pull up the schematics to tell you exactly what is up. I will absolutely look into it before my next purchase.

Most of the time I believe there are NO wiring diagrams and now really wondering about plumbing. :lol:

Drydays
05-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Ha , I have to ask a ???. If one is worried about dumping soapy stuff into the drain, then where do you dump? Black tank at one place and the grey tanks somewhere else?
IT ALL GOES THE SAME PLACE! Gheesh! kids.

kjohn
05-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Interesting. I dump a good snort of el cheapo liquid laundry soap in the toilet every once in a while, especially after dumping the tank. On our previous Jayco 197, I also often put the plug in the tub when I showered and then scooped the water into the toilet as we always seemed to have lots of room in the black tank.

Why would it be a problem having soapy water in the black tank? I would take a wild guess at soapy water being the least evil items in a black tank, no?

Desert185
05-27-2017, 06:15 AM
If anyone is worried about keeping their tanks "organic" then don't use city water. Always use untreated well water. :lol:

66joej
05-27-2017, 10:11 AM
If anyone is worried about keeping their tanks "organic" then don't use city water. Always use untreated well water. :lol:

Actually some of the so called treated water we have used at campgrounds is far worse than untreated well water.:D