PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg Campground

tribalsimba
04-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Gettysburg Campground, June 25-July 1, site 83.

DTJ9610
04-22-2011, 04:20 AM
We are going to Gettysburg Battlefield Resort 6/23-6/27. We'll have to compare towing experiences.

cumminsdad08
04-22-2011, 07:04 AM
gettysburg is on our list somewhere i think towards the end of the year.

tribalsimba
07-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I would say in a car the trip would normally take me about 5 hours, maybe even 5.5 if I took the exact same route I took in tow to avoid certain construction and steep grades. With the RV in tow; I was able to mostly average 60-65 on the freeways, and it took about 7 hours.

There were several steep grades, and the average outside temp was 88 degrees, and my 1/2 ton 5.3L Chevy pulled very well. Occasionally shifted down to 2nd gear; running about 4500 RPM to pull significant grades; but kept going; however on most normal grades, it was able to pull in 3rd gear running around 3000 RPM. One time on the mega grade on SR-322 where the Semi in front of me was going 10 MPH, I could not get around him in time, and I had to take that grade in 1st gear, going about 40MPH at about 4500 RPM. If it tried to shift into 2nd, I would lose momentum. I don't remember how steep the grade was, I do remember it was about a mile long; but most Semi's run less than 40 MPH on this particular section of road. So I was not dissapointed in the slightest.

I was so proud of the truck. It was loaded with a fiberglass cap on the bed, three bikes, a big-wheel, a bike trailer, and a tote full of toys. Probably an additional 300 lbs in the bed of the truck easily; ontop of the hitch weight from the camper. The camper was surely packed to the hilt. I wanted to hit a weigh station, but never did. I would bet I was pushing 8500 lbs of total camper/trailer weight behind the truck. The grades were across the Appalachian mountains, so not necessarily the 'average' for most of the country, but also not the most exterme.

Anyway, it was much talk of opinion in whether a 1/2 truck could handle the camper. I believe to an experienced driver, it handles it well. If you had a bigger truck you could probably pull the grades with more ease; and you may not have to plan ahead as much for braking or grades, but I don't think necessary unless you are constantly on the road with this TT.

As for Gettysburg Campground, love it. They are very nice people, and the gounds are run very well. Pulled out the morning of July 1 sad to leave. I hate, but love that feeling.

jq1031
07-08-2011, 06:00 AM
We've been to Gettysburg twice, staying at Artillary Ridge Camp Ground both times. It's also has stables if you are towing a horse trailer!

kenn209
07-08-2011, 06:20 AM
We've been to Gettysburg twice, staying at Artillary Ridge Camp Ground both times. It's also has stables if you are towing a horse trailer!

How was the campground, we are still looking for a place to stay near the Apple Fest in late Sept.

thanks

DTJ9610
07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Tribalsimba good to hear the Chevy pulled well. The Tundra was great on the trip. Was about 330 miles each way with both up/down grades. No issues. I even put her on a CAT scale just after a fill. Ended up about 500lb over on the truck, but 800lb under for the total gross. Now I know how to better pack (put more in the camper).

The trip down took about 8 1/2 hours due to some extra stopps with the 3 boys. Trip back was 7 1/2 which included a few unintentional detours.

We stayed at the Gettysburg Battelfield resort which was georgeous. I'd recommend it to anyone (just not sure if it's a members resort - we went through AOR).

jq1031
07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
How was the campground, we are still looking for a place to stay near the Apple Fest in late Sept.

thanks

It's a nice place & very busy, just across from the Battlefield & near the heart of activity. If you decide to stay there ask for a site in the front area away from the horses & stables as the flys are hugh near the horses.