PDA

View Full Version : A/C stopped cooling on a 4 year old RV

AW_rver
07-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Hello everyone,

This may sound like a repeating question but I haven't quite found an exact similar issue. I have a Keystone Springdale RV, 2013 model. A/C is Dometic 457915. RV is parked permanently in a club and used as a vacation home, so it only gets shore power. The A/C was working well on 4 hot summers, then last month just stopped cooling all of a sudden. Fan works fine, compressor kicks in and works continuously when the fan is on, but not cooling. So far I did the following:
-cleaned filter, coils, and any other debris from roof unit.
-checked run capacitor and it works fine (there is not start capacitor on this unit).
-trailer shore power is 124 volts (too high?).
-touched the compressor and lines- compressor vibrates and runs very hot (I'm not sure if that's normal).
-I can't see any sign of a leak anywhere on the roof, but I'm not sure whether to look for oil, residue, etc.

I am fully aware that a new unit will solve all the problems but I am reaching out to see whether any of you can think of something that I missed that can save me from a very expensive replacement cost.

Much appreciated!

jw99
07-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Hello everyone,

This may sound like a repeating question but I haven't quite found an exact similar issue. I have a Keystone Springdale RV, 2013 model. A/C is Dometic 457915. RV is parked permanently in a club and used as a vacation home, so it only gets shore power. The A/C was working well on 4 hot summers, then last month just stopped cooling all of a sudden. Fan works fine, compressor kicks in and works continuously when the fan is on, but not cooling. So far I did the following:
-cleaned filter, coils, and any other debris from roof unit.
-checked run capacitor and it works fine (there is not start capacitor on this unit).
-trailer shore power is 124 volts (too high?).
-touched the compressor and lines- compressor vibrates and runs very hot (I'm not sure if that's normal).
-I can't see any sign of a leak anywhere on the roof, but I'm not sure whether to look for oil, residue, etc.

I am fully aware that a new unit will solve all the problems but I am reaching out to see whether any of you can think of something that I missed that can save me from a very expensive replacement cost.

Much appreciated!
Mine died after one year. Freon leaked out. These are sealed units so you cannot add freon back in. Time for a new unit.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

tommy_z
07-03-2016, 06:16 AM
Hot compressor sounds like no freon. Or a seized compressor, but that should pop the breaker.

I've heard all these RV units are sealed systems, and never read one story of someone retrofitting the connections to check/fill. When I picked up my trailer last year, I saw a stack of units next to the dumpster. Seems like a real waste at $1000 a pop.