PDA

View Full Version : License plate holder broke, replace with this?

vampress_me
06-30-2016, 05:03 PM
The license plate is dangling by one plastic bracket from the taillight. The light itself still works fine, but I don't really feel like losing my license plate on our next trip. My question is: I know I can buy a new Bargman taillight off Amazon with the same plastic bracket for the license plate, but has anyone tried this metal plate as the license plate holder?

https://www.amazon.com/Bargman-34-62-030-License-Plate-Bracket/dp/B004RCUTGW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467333831&sr=8-2&keywords=Rv+license+plate+holder

I'm wondering if it would work better, last longer? Or has someone had a "no, don't get it experience"? I am a little worried the metal could rub a hole in the back wall of the 5er under the taillight.

And, secondly, no matter what I use, what is the proper sealant to use to seal the taillight to the camper? Ours currently has silicon that you can see around any "thing" that is mounted to/ penetrates the camper. I.e. taillights, docking station, kitchen vent. It came from the factory like that. Should I clean that off and use new silicon because many times on the forum I thought I remember people stating not to use silicon at all...

hankaye
06-30-2016, 05:24 PM
vampress_me, Howdy;

Looks like it should work. If the plastic one didn't leave behind any 'rub'
marks then the galvanized one shouldn't.
My personal favortie sealant is the buytl tape. You can even put it behind
the metal bracket then trim away the squished out bits and seal it all up
with the clear silicone. Just so's it all 'matches'.

hankaye

Ps Only 123 days till Halloween :)

chuckster57
06-30-2016, 05:48 PM
I would clean off the old silicone, wipe it down with denatured alcohol and re seal with fresh silicone. I just did that today on a 2017 outback with a non functional front cap light.