PDA

View Full Version : Generator wont start

Wilkod
06-28-2016, 02:39 AM
I have a 5.5 onan in our 2013 raptor. It has about 33 hours on it. This spring it started up and ran for about 10 minutes before it stalled. After that it would only run for about a minute then stall. I realized it was down to a quarter tank so i put another 5 gallons in the tank which put it 1/2 full.

Now it will crank but not start at all. I found out how to read the fault code by searching the web. My code is a 36. The list to troubleshoot a 36 is lengthy...

My question is do any of you have any experience in troubleshooting this? Based on how it happened I'm thinking maybe a clogged fuel filter? Where is the fuel filter located?

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Thank you,

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

trueweb
06-28-2016, 04:01 AM
What error code?

I think you press the prime button 2 or three times and it should flash a code. If the code is 3 flashes I think you can press it again to get a sub code. Can't remember exactly how to do this.

My Onan was doing the exact same thing except it would run an hour, then die then restart and run for a few minutes then die. It would repeat that cycle every time it cooled down.

This could be many problems. The error code will help.

Wilkod
06-28-2016, 05:29 AM
Error code 36 is what it throws

canesfan
06-28-2016, 05:41 AM
It would be helpful if you would post what error code 36 is. Aside from that, mine had less than 12 hours on it when it started surging more and more, got to the point it was surging so bad it would shut down. Took it to Cummins and they replaced the carb, fuel pump and fuel filter. The horrible ethanol fuel was the problem. Don't know if that has anything to do with your problem, but worth pointing out.

Wilkod
06-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Thank you. That error code is unassigned from what i read

dcg9381
06-28-2016, 12:49 PM
1/4 tank of "well aged" fuel sitting until spring is not good.
It's likely a fuel problem. I'd turn off the drain screw, see what comes out.
Also "prime" it make sure you're getting fuel.

The filter is in-line with the carb, typically looks like this, it's the "arm" on the left side of the carb.
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/1Gatorb8/P1000594.jpg

The fuel pump is not made by Onan - I wouldn't think yours would be failed this early, but they're easy enough to source and replace. Nothing special. Low pressure pumps.

rwmurphy15
06-28-2016, 04:28 PM
I had the same problem this spring. The generator would run for 20 minutes then shut off waited 10 minutes it would start again and run for 20 minutes again. The problem was the fuel pump was sticking and would not pump but if you hit it with a hammer lightly it would run again so I replaced the pump. Genny ran good for a couple weeks then it started to surge. Took it to a Cummins dealer they replaced the carb due to the ethanol gas. Another thing Cummins showed me was when they emptied the gas from the bowl on the carb into a white pan you could see a lot of small rust particles in the gas. Which came from my metal on board gas tank. they told me this is a big problem with generators that feed off metal gas tanks because the ethanol gas will create moisture in the tank and rust it. They suggest putting a 10-15 micron filter in the gas line before the 30 micron filter at the fuel pump because the 30 micron Onan filter will not filter out the rust. Run the generator every month for 1-1 1/2 hours under load every 2-3 months use your fuel station and run the tank empty and put in new fuel with a good stabilizer if you don't use your generator regularly to dry camp and use the old fuel in your car or anything else. I ask about converting it from gas to LP they told me you can do that but LP has its own set of problems. And I only had 12 hours on my Generator. So for $452.00 for a new carb and a lot of suggestions from the Cummins tech my Genny runs like a champ again.

randy69
06-28-2016, 06:28 PM
My gen would run 5 hours then shut down . Mike Thomson rv could not find a problem . They said nothing wrong? Next time we went camping same problem. Code said take it to have service. Replaced fuel pump, filters .. Spark plugs, air filter. Oil change& filter. 100 bucks on Internet all working great I also run that gen once a week under load. Check batters once a month cause always plug in to house current. Got to keep that beer cold in the refrigerator .

gearhead
06-28-2016, 07:19 PM
This is a common problem with boats that have built in gas tanks. Ethanol attracts water. If you can find non ethanol gas, use it. Keep the gas tank completely full. The tank is vented and will create condensation inside if only partially filled. I keep my 50 gallon boat tank full, top it off returning home from fishing. I also use Startron treatment. I double dose it. You cant use too much. Available at WalMart.

Desert185
06-28-2016, 09:31 PM
I think using a fuel stabilzer is the key in addition to draining the carburetor for long term storage.

Wilkod
06-29-2016, 02:50 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll tackle this this weekend....