PDA

View Full Version : Storage, with or without Battery?

jq1031
04-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Any suggestions on the best way to deal with the trailer battery when not in use. Should I take it out, just disconnect it or leave it along?

Festus2
04-19-2011, 11:32 AM
The answer to this depends, to some degree, on how long the battery will not be in use. I believe most RVers leave the batteries in the RV during the camping season. If you decide to leave them in the unit, then you might consider hooking them up to a battery tender (2A trickle charge type). Check the water level frequently if you leave the batteries on any charging system. Or you can use shore power and have your batteries charging via the inverter. As an alternate, from time to time plug and unplug your rig from shore power. If you do this, be sure you check the water levels frequently.
Some folks have a battery disconnect switch turned to the "OFF' position so as not to allow clocks, sensors, TV and stereo displays with their drain on the batteries.
I think the bottom line is to keep your batteries charged when not in use wherever they are located and look after them by checking water levels, SG readings and for corrosion around the terminals.

ktmracer
04-20-2011, 11:46 AM
I added a battery disconnect system to our outback. Same on previous trailers. Just turn off the power, battery stays charged for 3-4 months easily that way. There will be some self discharge but very low. Less hassle than taking out two trojan T-125's.

Without a battery disconnect, you need to at least disconnect battery from the trailer, either positive or negative terminal.

jq1031
04-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the advise...............as I usually store for a couple weeks a time I guess the easy way is to disconect the negetive terminal. Here in Florida the hot weather plays hell with batteries! JOE

gmandi
04-24-2011, 06:21 PM
i just disconnect the positive battery cable on the primary battery when i put the trailer in storage.