PDA

View Full Version : Accumulator Install

MoonDawg
06-19-2016, 08:24 AM
I was so tired of the water pump coming on every time we ran a little water, especially when it would kick on in the middle of the night when flushing the toilet. So I installed an accumulator and problem solved. I decided to use an accumulator made for a residential water heater which has a much greater capacity that the small ones at my local RV parts store. The one I used came from Home Depot (DET-5 SKU# 594885) and cost about $40. It is pre-charged at 40 PSI which seems to be perfect. I had to also buy a few fittings and a hose.
I installed it on the pressure side of the pump and there was room for it in the pump compartment. I can now run water for between 18-20 seconds before the pump kicks on. then it runs for app. 30 seconds and shuts off.
Besides having installed LED reverse lights on our trailer, this is the single best improvement I've done.

SADLY
06-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Like button

440justin
06-19-2016, 06:46 PM
You might want to check to be sure the hose you used is food/drinking water safe, as most of the hardware store hoses are not. Of course if you don't drink the water form your tank it is not a big deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MoonDawg
06-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Thank you 440Justin,
Yes, the tubing is water supply rated.

flybynight
06-23-2016, 08:48 PM
How does one winterize / dewinterize this setup?

Or do you just remove it for the winter?

GMcKenzie
06-24-2016, 05:21 AM
I've had mine for a couple of years. No issue with winterizing with the tank left in place.Once you open the drains to drain the water, the tank ends up empty anyway.

Mopar madman
06-24-2016, 05:25 AM
I put a shut off in the supply line on mine. Bypassing the tank during winterizing.

MoonDawg
06-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Since I took the photo, I mounted the tank in a bed of closed-cell foam (not spray foam) with the fitting aimed downward. I expect that the tank will drain when I drain the system, and I would also expect that the air bladder would aid with any expansion of water left in the system should it freeze. I winterize by draining, not with anti-freeze because we use our trailer year 'round.