PDA

View Full Version : Getting started on the mods for my new Sprinter 299RET

elcaminonut69
06-19-2016, 05:01 AM
After picking up my new trailer I started making a list as to the mods I wanted to do. My lovely wife immediately commented on the tires. Having owned a 2000 HR tt that was heavy I always had tire problems so I decided to go to a 16" wheel with LT tires which solved my tire problems. So the first thing in order was a set of 225/75/16 Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD tires. I still have plenty of clearance and the tires should last until they die of old age lol. More mods to come.

Chillaxin' III
06-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Interesting choice on the LT tires. Pics would be great! Keep us posted on the other mods!

elcaminonut69
09-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Sorry for the delay. I will get some pics up as soon as I get some. I just carried the camper to Orlando for a couple of months for work and the tires performed flawlessly. I've already straightened out a few things myself like the ac ductwork which was barely blowing in the bedroom. The divider inside the ac unit itself had come loose and the air was just recirculating through the ac. Overall I really like this camper especially the residential fridge.

elcaminonut69
10-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Here is a picture of the tires I had installed.

elcaminonut69
10-09-2016, 03:55 PM
I took the AC work a step farther and taped the transitions up inside the unit itself. Anything that I thought could be smoothed out I hit it with the aluminum tape. Oh what a difference it made. The sound from the AC unit is barely noticeable now. It is very quite and it helped even more with the air flow. I will try to get some pics up on what I did.

elcaminonut69
10-19-2016, 03:35 PM
I also installed a ProPride hitch which is amazing the difference it makes. Installation was a little tricky because of the front cap extending out far enough to cover the bottles.

bartbill
10-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Interesting thought on the LT's. I blew a Carlisle on I-25 in the south edge of Denver yesterday. Its a real hoot to change a tire on about 8' of roadside against a 10' concrete wall. Limped over to Discount Tire on Lincoln St. Got into a discussion with those folks about LT tires because of what I've been reading on this site. They were adamant that LT's were a bad idea and Carlisle was doing a much better job with their tires now. Thing is I cant remember exactly why LTs were a bad idea. Ended up just putting on another Carlisle. Got time to decide before the trip to Alaska next year. BTW - little damage to the trailer

elcaminonut69
01-22-2017, 04:56 AM
Glad to here you didn't hurt your trailer Bartbill. Well I have around 5,000 miles on my LT tires and they look like new. I did step up to a 16" rim to get the capacity I wanted but still have plenty of room.

elcaminonut69
01-22-2017, 05:18 AM
My next concern is cold weather camping. After being in 15 degree weather I am having problems with some pipes freezing. I guess if I can make it through this winter I will take the underside apart and try to insulate it better. I can see me in zero degree weather on occasion with this camper so I will try to insulate it accordingly. I had no problem staying warm inside the camper unlike my old TT but all the plumbing was inside the coach so I had no problems with it freezing pipes

bsmith0404
01-22-2017, 05:49 AM
Interesting thought on the LT's. I blew a Carlisle on I-25 in the south edge of Denver yesterday. Its a real hoot to change a tire on about 8' of roadside against a 10' concrete wall. Limped over to Discount Tire on Lincoln St. Got into a discussion with those folks about LT tires because of what I've been reading on this site. They were adamant that LT's were a bad idea and Carlisle was doing a much better job with their tires now. Thing is I cant remember exactly why LTs were a bad idea. Ended up just putting on another Carlisle. Got time to decide before the trip to Alaska next year. BTW - little damage to the trailer

This is a pretty good explanation and is most likely what the DT folks were telling you. One thing I don't like about the video is the weight capacity comparison, I wish he would have used the same size tire with the same load range to show the difference, but the concept that he is talking about is accurate, LT tires do not have the same load carrying capacity. My personal opinion, the sidewall difference that he demonstrates is the biggest difference and the main reason I stay with an ST tire, especially with a trailer with a large side profile such as an RV. Not as critical with a utility trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6SwwRnmp1Q

elcaminonut69
01-25-2017, 06:16 PM
I Have been running LT tires for years. As long as you buy an LT tire that is rated for as much as the trailer tire you should not have any problems. In the video he did not say anything about the sidewall on the E rated tire. In order to get a comparable LT tire I did have to step up to a 16" tire. It might be luck but I have never had a flat running Lt tires. I have been through numerous trailer tires due to separation or blowouts. My previous RV was 32' long and my current one is 36' and I have no problem with sway.

elcaminonut69
02-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Just to give an update on my mods that I have done in the last year. After spending 2 winters in various locations and having problems with frozen water lines I have rerouted my water lines. I picked up some electrical track with covers and ran the lines in the camper. For the most part the existing cabinets covered 90 percent and I used the track for a small crossover into the bathroom at ceiling height.

elcaminonut69
02-11-2018, 07:47 AM
I'm not very happy with my Suburban 6 gallon water heater. The Suburban doesn't seem to work near as good as my old Atwood did. After numerous complaints from my Wife I decided to buy a tankless design water heater. After reading numerous reviews and talking to some people that work on them I decided to go with the Truma. I have yet to install it so I will follow up when I do.

chuckster57
02-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Truma comes standard on pleasureway RV’s. Much better than the Gerard.

elcaminonut69
02-11-2018, 08:31 AM
I also had to change the mattress out. The original was not very good so I installed a sleep number. I bought it because of the weight versus a quality innerspring because most of the weight would transfer to the tongue. I am very happy with my choice.

elcaminonut69
02-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Truma comes standard on pleasureway RV’s. Much better than the Gerard.

It was a tossup between the Suburban and Truma. After thinking about the problems I was having with my Suburban now and the ease of winterizing the Truma thats what I went with.

rhagfo
02-11-2018, 12:34 PM
This is a pretty good explanation and is most likely what the DT folks were telling you. One thing I don't like about the video is the weight capacity comparison, I wish he would have used the same size tire with the same load range to show the difference, but the concept that he is talking about is accurate, LT tires do not have the same load carrying capacity. My personal opinion, the sidewall difference that he demonstrates is the biggest difference and the main reason I stay with an ST tire, especially with a trailer with a large side profile such as an RV. Not as critical with a utility trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6SwwRnmp1Q

I get a kick out of this video, not real strong on facts, and comparisons. Our 2005 came from the factory with LT tires 235/85-16E @ 3,042# ea. The same ST run about 400# more capacity, but have a speed rating of only 65 mph..

I think the sidewall statement of ST being stronger and stiffer I have doubts about. All the ST tires I have ever looked at have soft looking sidewalls.
Then there are these pictures on our LT's and comparable ST's and very close to the same weight and inflation.

These are the LTs nice stright sidewall and round at the bottom.

https://i.imgur.com/A6L1SA6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O13dpln.jpg

These are the ST's bulging sidewall and flatter on the ground, almost look way under inflated.

https://i.imgur.com/ZJJNmMQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6sPPp2H.jpg

elcaminonut69
02-12-2018, 03:30 AM
I agree completely rhagfo. It's all about the money. Once you bite the bullet and put LT tires on you will never go back to trailer tires and they know it. I pulled my camper to the Outer Banks last year during the heat of the summer and in 600 miles we saw multiple RVs on the side of the road with flats. One trailer had major damage which is why I don"t run trailer tires.

elcaminonut69
04-15-2018, 02:41 PM
Well I finally got around to installing the Trim water heater. Installation was pretty easy except for the water lines. the measurement between the inlet and outlet is different between the Suburban and Truma. I have pex tools so I reworked the lines and put the old style water heater bypass in and straightened the factory plumbing out to my satisfaction. The outside door was a little bigger which required trimming of the side moulding on the camper. I hooked the 12 volt up, mounted the control panel. I turned the water and power on and it fired right up. I turned the shower wide open hot and the kitchen sink to hot and it held 120 degrees. The Truma is very quiet. I will post when I get a chance to use it hopefully within the few weeks.

chuckster57
04-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Good deal. Glad it went so well.

elcaminonut69
05-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Well after a week in the camper I can honestly say the Truma water heater is the best mod I have done to date. In eco mode the Truma takes about 10 seconds longer than the 6 gallon Suburban I replaced. In the regular mode it is as fast as the Suburban but uses a little more propane than eco mode. The fact that the hot water never runs out like it did in the 6 gallon heater will make my DW real happy. I don't dry camp but if I did I would think that in regular mode you would not use any more water than a standard water heater.

Tinner12002
05-03-2018, 02:32 AM
I get a kick out of this video, not real strong on facts, and comparisons. Our 2005 came from the factory with LT tires 235/85-16E @ 3,042# ea. The same ST run about 400# more capacity, but have a speed rating of only 65 mph..

I think the sidewall statement of ST being stronger and stiffer I have doubts about. All the ST tires I have ever looked at have soft looking sidewalls.
Then there are these pictures on our LT's and comparable ST's and very close to the same weight and inflation.

These are the LTs nice stright sidewall and round at the bottom.

https://i.imgur.com/A6L1SA6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O13dpln.jpg

These are the ST's bulging sidewall and flatter on the ground, almost look way under inflated.

https://i.imgur.com/ZJJNmMQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6sPPp2H.jpg

Lol...I was wondering how long it would be before you commented!

Eric363
02-28-2019, 07:29 AM
I'm not very happy with my Suburban 6 gallon water heater. The Suburban doesn't seem to work near as good as my old Atwood did. After numerous complaints from my Wife I decided to buy a tankless design water heater. After reading numerous reviews and talking to some people that work on them I decided to go with the Truma. I have yet to install it so I will follow up when I do.
I know the post is over a year old, but where did you buy the Truma from? I thought you have to have them professionally installed. Thanks, Eric