PDA

View Full Version : Bikes on the cargo carrier

Canonman
06-15-2016, 06:31 AM
Our Cougar is equipped with a rear cargo carrier that slides out from under the trailer. Looks beefy enough to carry a reasonable load so we thought we'd use it to carry our bicycles (2) when we travel.
Does any one have any suggestions on the best way to attach and safely carry bikes on the cargo carrier??(tx)

Festus2
06-15-2016, 08:17 AM
We have the same type of slide-out bike carrier and have found that it is not really designed to easily and safely fasten bikes to it. In a word (or two) it is quite "Mickey Mouse". You need straps, bungee cords and whatever else to keep the bikes secure.

Instead, I would recommend that you weld a receiver hitch to the frame, purchase a good quality bike rack that fits a standard hitch and leave the slide-out carrier retracted. You'll save yourself time, avoid frustration :banghead:, and it will be easier on the bikes as well.

Canonman
06-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Thanks Festus, we installed a receiver on the last TT and it is the best way to go by far. Just trying to save $400 and thinking this thing has to be good for something. I've got a friend that may be able to fab something up that will make this more workable. Will post the results good or bad.

gcracker
06-16-2016, 05:17 AM
I and many others have tried to use that tray for bikes.. do a search and you will find no-one has good experiences with it.

danielm300
10-11-2016, 05:24 AM
We have used the cargo carrier to haul two bikes approximately 7000 miles this year. I added a couple of 2x4 wood blocks to keep the wheels in place and used ratchet strap tie downs.

CWtheMan
10-11-2016, 05:32 AM
For those of you that have not seen one of these carriers, here's a picture of one I took at an RV show earlier this year.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29906

CaptnJohn
10-11-2016, 08:16 PM
For those of you that have not seen one of these carriers, here's a picture of one I took at an RV show earlier this year.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29906

Mine is stamped for a maximum load of 200#. I have never used it as I'm not sure I want that extra length behind the axels going into fuel stations, over speed bumps, and etc. It looks prone to dragging.

cdrcos
10-12-2016, 05:26 AM
...I added a couple of 2x4 wood blocks to keep the wheels in place and used ratchet strap tie downs.

Did the same thing with 2 bikes on a cargo tray that fit in a car receiver and also worked fine.

cant_remember_ID
10-12-2016, 05:41 AM
I frequently use mine, I can get three bikes on comfortably. I take off the front wheels and put a heavy blanket between the bikes and strap them tightly to the post that comes up by the bumper. It is a little cumbersome, but it works. I also removed my spare from the bumper and have it in a BAL mount in front of the axels, this makes it easier to get the bikes on and off. But I have been watching the bracket that holds the bumper up and it looks like it is bending out a little. I would rather have a real bike rack in a receiver hitch, maybe a future mod.

hankpage
10-12-2016, 07:11 AM
First thing you need to do is remove the spare and relocate it someplace else. ( I carry mine in the bed of my truck)
The flimsy L brackets that hold the rack need help. I did this as a temporary fix almost ten years ago and it worked well, so "If it ain't broke , don't fix it."
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_213559_0_f48033098c8be2e5a84136aac6d27031.jpg

I added a hitch mount bike carrier over the upright post that Keystone supplies and use ratchet straps and bungees to stop any bouncing. Bungees alone will allow the bikes to bounce.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_213559_1_aafe8918dd23ffac19277d006ba3b1d8.jpg

No, I do not have stock in a bungee factory, I am just paranoid. Hank

BEEFCURTIN
10-12-2016, 07:07 PM
I just bought my trailer and it seems like the plastic tray is on USD Up side down.