PDA

View Full Version : Another Suburban water heater question

notanlines
06-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Our water heater also quit working a couple weeks ago. This is what I finally ran down. I have bent the double rod out of the way so everyone can see the damage underneath. I'm curious if anyone has seen damage like this on a thermostat before and what it may be caused from.

cpaulsen
06-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Looks like the thermostat. Could be it just failed. They are not expensive to replace.:)

JRTJH
06-14-2016, 06:13 PM
It looks like the electrical connector on the thermostat overheated and burned out. Not an uncommon situation, but not an "everyday occurance" either. I'd just get another thermostat, install it and keep on camping.....

geeman
06-14-2016, 07:52 PM
It looks like the electrical connector on the thermostat overheated and burned out. Not an uncommon situation, but not an "everyday occurance" either. I'd just get another thermostat, install it and keep on camping.....

Agreed /\ /\.

bobbecky
06-14-2016, 08:33 PM
We had the same thing happen with ours a couple years ago. After replacing our thermostat, which came with the reset button in a gray color, found out that Suburban had problems with a large batch of these from some supplier, don't know or care who, and the bad ones just happened to have red reset buttons. I'm guessing that is what you've run into. Since replacing ours, have had no problem.

notanlines
06-15-2016, 02:12 AM
A most patient parts man at Willie's RV in Bloomer, Wisconsin happened to have a replacement in stock and the new thermostat is now hard at work. Many thanks for the help.

notanlines
10-09-2016, 07:13 AM
Chapter two: Just burned another one. I made it to Bend Oregon and bought two this time. I am at a loss as to how to cure this problem.

Desert185
10-09-2016, 07:32 AM
Maybe the manufacturer had a defective batch? Is there any warranty period? Are different brands available?

Not helpful at all, but I couldn't keep from thinking that a Maxxis or Carlisle thermostat is in order. :p

chuckster57
10-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Chapter two: Just burned another one. I made it to Bend Oregon and bought two this time. I am at a loss as to how to cure this problem.
Do you have any type of surge protection? I'm wondering if the pedestal power may have anything to do with it.

bobbecky
10-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Just curious, what color was the reset button on the second failed part? If it was red, possibly it was on the shelf a long time and part of the original batch of defective parts made for Suburban.

notanlines
10-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact it was red. And also I DO have a surge protector. Nothing fancy, but the $100 wonder from CW. I believe I may have purchased the Trailer King water heater thermostat previously. The new t'stat is beige on the reset button. And it is 130 degrees. I'll post further if I have more trouble. And you can take this to the bank: Virtually nothing electronic is under warrantee. There might be an exception or two, but not many.

Desert185
10-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Just for my own education on this...

There are two thermostats, one 12V and one 110V. Correct?

You had a problem with the 110V thermostat?

notanlines
10-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Yes, the 12v side works just fine.

bobbecky
10-09-2016, 07:34 PM
The 120 volt part is the one that is being replaced due to failure, and is Suburban part number 232306.