PDA

View Full Version : Keystone Bullet Grey and Black Tanks Sensors Not Accurate

gbing
06-13-2016, 05:50 AM
I have a 2016 Keystone Bullet that has 30 gallon grey and Black tanks. We purchased it used and used for the first time a couple weeks back. The next day after we arrived at the camp the grey water tank showed 2/3 full and black tank showed 1/3 full. I didn't think that was possible so I dumped both tanks and measured the water to check tank readings. Both tanks showed 1/3 full with 4 gallons added, 2/3 full with 8 gallons and full with 17 gallons. I went ahead and added water to the grey tank to confirm it would hold 30 gallons. Has anyone else observed this issue?

Murphsmom
06-13-2016, 06:03 AM
There is probably "something" stuck on the sensors. These are notoriously inaccurate, and we have just had to learn how long to go between emptying the tanks.

tgoodwin321
06-13-2016, 06:45 AM
I poured 3 gallons in the black tank before our last trip and it read 1/3 full. Assuming I could hold more than 9 gallons total I just went on with my day. Not a big deal while dry camping but it'll be a different story next week where we'll have water hookup but no sewer hookup. Thinking I'll just fill the fresh tank as needed and dump in between fills so there's no chance of an overflow.

Mike484
06-13-2016, 06:52 AM
Ours still work, but, I've been told by many, this won't last long.
Right now, while they work, I am trying to keep track of how many days on the black tank and how many showers on the gray tank we can take before I have to dump the tanks so when they do quit working, I'll have something besides the gauges to determine when we must dump our tanks.

darrylwt
06-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Mine was off to the gauge showed full after one day and the next day was empty without dumping the tank. I dumped and added a little water and I put a small bag of ice in the tank and drove to the next spot I read that the ice will act as a scrubbing action and then flushed the tank good and now the gauge works great.

Desert185
06-13-2016, 08:01 AM
My gray tank indicators work pretty well, but the black indicator is 50/50 inspite of a good flush. Without using the black tank flush system, the indicator system is wildly erratic.

We have found we can go a week to 10 days without a dump and use that as a general, overriding gauge of how we're doing during a boondocking trip.

dcg9381
06-13-2016, 10:58 AM
I've never had much luck with these indicators despite being pretty diligent about cleaning. It's not a Keystone thing - same thing on every RV that I've owned.

gbing
06-13-2016, 01:11 PM
We contacted keystone customer service and was told they intentionally have them showing full early to keep people from filling the tanks and causing them to crack. Doesn't make since to me to show full and still have 12 gallon capacity left. Just wondering if other people has observed same.

Festus2
06-13-2016, 01:46 PM
We contacted keystone customer service and was told they intentionally have them showing full early to keep people from filling the tanks and causing them to crack. Doesn't make since to me to show full and still have 12 gallon capacity left. Just wondering if other people has observed same.

You would think that, if Keystone is concerned about its customers filling the tanks until they're full and possibly cracking, they would issue a warning in the Owner's Manual. I've never come across any such caution nor have I heard of this line of "reasoning" before.

In addition, if the tanks they use are not able to withstand being full to capacity, Keystone should find and install a tank that capable of handling a "full load" and ensure that it is properly secured.

Why have a 30 gallon tank when you can only put in 25 gallons?

Methinks the person's tank in the Customer Service Department is showing at or near Empty.

GaryWT
06-13-2016, 02:32 PM
I never look at them anymore so I would not know if they were working correctly or not.

Tbos
06-13-2016, 05:47 PM
If your grey tank backs into the tub it's over full. A good flush helps us keep the black tank working.

malabarbob
06-14-2016, 06:11 AM
never had good sensors on my last 10 RVS. My new 38' Tiffin Diesel pusher had the best. They had external sensors installed on all tanks and were absolutely accurate. Now, I just go by days and dump based on calendar time.