PDA

View Full Version : flat tire fix

Hankintu
06-13-2016, 02:53 AM
Since I can't seem to get the search option to work. I have a 217EXP Passport and just am curious on jack placement if a tire goes flat. There wasn't a manual included and I am sure a jack wasn't either. Thanks folks.

Tbos
06-13-2016, 03:22 AM
You are right. No manual or jack. I jack at the spring attachment points on the axles. I use a small roll around floor jack I received as a gift many many years ago. I put a piece of wood between the jack and axle. Others jack from the frame. I just think the axle method is more efficient.

hankpage
06-13-2016, 03:49 AM
↑ ↑ X2 but with a bottle jack with a 2x8 underneath so it does not sink in dirt or black-top.

Desert185
06-13-2016, 05:56 AM
A 6-8 ton bottle jack.

gearhead
06-13-2016, 09:46 AM
I've got the TrailerAid+, two 6 ton Walmart bottle jacks, and a 2 ton aluminum floor race jack.
Keep a Craftsman 19 volt impact, recip saw, drill, and work light with 2 batteries and charger, 4 way lug wrench, and a long breakover bar with 13/16" socket ready to go.
Never know when you might have to do a quick New York pit stop. ahem.

Like others, when I have used a jack I put it on the axle under the springs.

Hankintu
06-15-2016, 02:44 AM
Thanks for all of the responses folks. Now there will not be that question in the process.

bsmith0404
06-15-2016, 04:21 AM
Just make sure the jack you have is sufficient to lift your trailer. I can change a tire on my truck with a 2 ton floor jack, my RV only has around 3k lbs on each wheel, but the axles are close enough that you may actually end up lifting both wheels/one side of the RV to change a tire. A 2 ton floor jack won't lift 6-7k lbs. I use a 12 ton bottle jack from Walmart, came is a storage case so it is all contained in a nice neat package that's easy to store and find. The main thing is DO NOT jack on the axle itself. People do jack under the spring attachment points, but any other location could bend your axle/knock it out of alignment. I personally jack on the frame, but that requires a block due to the height.