PDA

View Full Version : US map of states in signature?

RVnewbieGA
06-12-2016, 03:55 PM
I have seen some posts where a map of the US was in the signature showing what states were camped in. Where can I get this map that I can edit to reflect where I have camped? Thanks for any advice.

chuckster57
06-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Try visitedstates.com

Cbrez
09-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Try visitedstates.com
Do you count every state you pass through or only those where you spend the night?

chuckster57
09-27-2016, 11:52 AM
Do you count every state you pass through or only those where you spend the night?

My map reflects every state I have spent at least 1 night. I not aware of any "rule" written or implied otherwise.

byrdr1
09-28-2016, 04:10 AM
http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALARFLGAMIMSNCOKSCTNVAWVxlg.jpg

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCAFLGAHIINKYLAMIMSNCOHOKSCTNTXVAWVmed.jpg

Pretty neat thanks.
I have visited these states and camped in most but not all.
Army brat so that helped.
I re-edited the added map to the states I have camped at least one night. Again being an Army brat I have camped in these states.
dad grew up in Michigan so we would go up there from time to time and we camped a couple of times up there. I might have camped In Mississippi once or twice Mom's sister lived there.
And we would go down there and I might have camped a few times but really don't remember. DAD being career military we were always camping somewhere.
This summer's two trips to Oklahoma helped me add two more states west of the Mississippi to the map.

randy

Desert185
09-28-2016, 10:02 AM
No rules on this, but I take it to mean states where one has actually camped overnight, whether tent, popup camper, motorhome or trailer. Hotels, state-line visits or airplane overflights/landings don't count, to my way of thinking. Kind of tough to tow a trailer to Hawaii.

Cbrez
09-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks chuckster57 and desert185. Just wanted to see if there is a consensus. We have not started traveling in earnest yet, but want to count states similar to others when we travel across country next year. I agree with one night minimum overnight RV stay. Othwise it's just a windshield tour of a piece of the state.

LarrySharon
09-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Chuckster57, Q' for you. Do know if people generally highlight the states they been to totally or just rv'ing/camping? I know what I think but just to confirm.

chuckster57
09-28-2016, 05:53 PM
I honestly have no idea. Since I don't know of any requirements for adding a state, I guess anybody could add a state for any reason.

If I was to, I could add more states that I camped in as a child, and visited in highschool with the band. I just chose to show the states I have stayed at least one night in an RV with MY RV.

Dave W
09-29-2016, 04:01 AM
It means what you want it to mean.

If I counted all of the states I have 'visited' either by a business trip or landing in a plane, every state but Alaska, Hawaii and ND would be colored in. We are defining ours as any state we visit with the RV - and our map is getting well colored.

Cbrez
09-29-2016, 03:56 PM
I think we are all on the same page here. We may have been all over the country for business trips or other travels, but now we're talking about a map you stick on the side of your RV or post in the RV forum. It should be about where you and your RV been.

Dave W
09-30-2016, 04:40 AM
In the sig now is our current map of only states visited with our RVs:

Unfortunately this map doesn't cover Canadian Provinces but so far we have 3 of them - PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Maybe more next year

Desert185
09-30-2016, 06:33 AM
It should be about where you and your RV been.

How do you get your RV to Hawaii to check that box? That's why I use tent, camper, motorhome or trailer as a "camping" qualifier. I've tented in Haleakala's crater outflow and Hana on Maui, because the rig couldn't be checked or carried on. :)

Cbrez
09-30-2016, 12:33 PM
I don't disagree. No one is going to ship an RV to Hawaii, so tent camping has to count. I have tent camped up and down the East coast, but RVing is a new chapter for us. I am going to stick with where we camp in the RV - unless we go to Hawaii of course.

JRTJH
09-30-2016, 02:22 PM
Well, a number of people ship RV's to Hawaii. Some for commercial purposes and some simply to have a camper on the island.

Actually, there are a number of RV rental agencies on the islands, one of which is http://www.rvmaui.com/ While they are essentially a brokerage firm that rents private RV's for a "cut of the action", there is everything from Airstreams to class A motorhomes available for rent.

So, even if you can't check it or claim it as a "carry on", you can "camp in an RV in Hawaii".....

Desert185
09-30-2016, 11:26 PM
Well, a number of people ship RV's to Hawaii. Some for commercial purposes and some simply to have a camper on the island.

Actually, there are a number of RV rental agencies on the islands, one of which is http://www.rvmaui.com/ While they are essentially a brokerage firm that rents private RV's for a "cut of the action", there is everything from Airstreams to class A motorhomes available for rent.

So, even if you can't check it or claim it as a "carry on", you can "camp in an RV in Hawaii".....

I was just addressing the statement, "It should be about where you and your RV been." (sic)

If "your" RV hasn't been to Hawaii, then no map highlight for Hawaii doesn't seem to make sense. Using that logic, one would have to start the map over when buying a different trailer or a motorhome.

There are no RV parks on Maui, according to RV Parky, just a Walmart near Kahului, so I'm not sure why one would want to rent an RV there. The place is crowded enough without trying to shoehorn an RV someplace.

Edit: Actually there is one at Makawao near Haleakala. One and Walmart...

JRTJH
10-01-2016, 07:35 AM
Here's 5 campgrounds on Maui: http://www.rvmaui.com/camping_maui.html
and 7 listed in this link: http://www.alohacampers.com/maui-campgrounds/public-campgrounds/ (Some of them are duplicates) and there are a number of campgrounds on the other islands as well.

Additionally, camping (actually parking on public beaches) is legal everywhere on Maui, except where there are signs restricting access. Beach fishing is a big pastime and locals with vehicles drive to the beach to fish (easier to carry equipment). In one of the RV rental websites, they actually suggest just "parking on the beach" rather than camping in a "formal campground".

It may not be "just the ticket" for everyone, but there are alternatives to hotels, bungalows and cottages even in Hawaii. No, I haven't rented an RV in the islands, but when I was assigned to Hickam AFB on Oahu (back in the '60's) many people drove VW campmobiles, actually Westfalia conversions, as "daily drivers" and used them extensively on the weekends to "explore". They (VW campers) are still a very popular option for "island camping" and can be rented at a number of places throughout the islands. Here's one on Maui: http://www.alohacampers.com/

While not for everyone, island camping with an RV is not only possible, just like on the mainland, it's quite a bit cheaper than "hotel/motel" stays and gives you the alternative mobility you don't get with "sticks 'n bricks" lodging.

Now, back to the thread topic, whether or not you "choose to color in" the islands on an RV travel map is more a personal choice than "following any written rules" as the only "rule" I know about is in the description of the vinyl "RV State Sticker Map" offered for sale at many places. In the sales information you'll find something like this: "•Map roadtrips or visited destinations with our USA decal state sticker map. Easily peel and stick to showcase your travels & journey!" So, in keeping with "versatility" even the manufacturer offers anyone who purchases a map the opportunity to interpret how to use it "without restrictions"........... :p

Desert185
10-01-2016, 08:07 AM
Oh oh..."RV state sticker map." I'll have to rip that sucker off my tent. :)

Thanks for the info on camping HI.

ctbruce
10-02-2016, 04:39 AM
So....if you rent a camper in HI instead of shipping your own there and using it, does it count? I'm so constipated over this.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

the sodfather
10-02-2016, 04:44 AM
So....if you rent a camper in HI instead of shipping your own there and using it, does it count? I'm so constipated over this.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Maybe...But you've got to ride a unicorn and find one hens tooth at the base of a tree on the mountain for it to qualify.

ctbruce
10-02-2016, 04:50 AM
Maybe...But you've got to ride a unicorn and find one hens tooth at the base of a tree on the mountain for it to qualify.
That's it? Should be a piece of cake! Do you have to show proof or is your word good enough? I never thought about all these rules when I started camping....LOL[emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Desert185
10-02-2016, 06:39 AM

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

More water when you flush and a 45 instead of a 90 on your dump hose should do the trick. :thumbsup:

old timer
10-03-2016, 04:45 AM
This is a test. LOL