PDA

View Full Version : What type of Trailer Brakes...

priv8pilot
06-10-2016, 06:23 PM
I have been shopping for a nice 5th wheel. I own an older toy hauler Triple axle weekend warrior. It is equipped with drum brakes. I have been looking at the keystone Alpine trailer. Then a thought came to mind. Do they still come with drum brakes or do they now make disc brakes for trailers. Looking at the keystone site it doesn't say. Looking here I cant find any info on brakes. So... Do they make disc brakes for trailers?

440justin
06-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Look up the Titan BrakeRite. I don't know if anyone offers it as standard/optional equipment from the factory.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

chuckster57
06-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Can't say I've seen disc brakes as standard equipment on the trailers I've worked on. There may be, but they would be out of most customers price range.

Using disc brakes also requires the use of a brake controller that is compatible with hydraulic systems, and that narrows the field considerably. The prodigy P3 is one that comes to mind.

BTW, welcome to the forum!!

priv8pilot
06-10-2016, 07:09 PM
It was just a thought I had. On my triple Axle I feel like I am getting pushed down hills even with 6 drum brakes working to stop me. Guess I was hoping for an improved system 15 years later.

Alpine
06-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Drum brakes here. I have the Tow Haul & Exhaust Brake on the Ram. If a fairly steep downgrade, I drop down a gear and everything takes care of itself on the descent! And yes indeed, WELCOME to the forum!

dcg9381
06-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Using disc brakes also requires the use of a brake controller that is compatible with hydraulic systems, and that narrows the field considerably. The prodigy P3 is one that comes to mind.

I thought the Performance Trailer Brake (http://www.performancetrailerbraking.com/) systems were compatible with existing electric brake controllers.... That is, these systems come with an electric-to-hydraulic brain.

I've never heard of having to install something outside of that control unit (which sits on the trailer)...

Do you mean that you just need an adjustable brake controller? Or something special? I know that the Dodge largely just has two modes + gain.

chuckster57
06-11-2016, 02:48 AM
As far as I know, you need a compatible brake controller. If your TV has IBC ( integrated brake control) it may be compatible with this system. I know my prodigy isn't, as it's an "original" one.

Dave W
06-11-2016, 05:21 AM
Etrailer has a bunch of information on Titan and Kodiak disc systems. Actuators, Titan and Dexter are compatible with most newer trucks OEM electronic system though you may need an adapter. Dodge/Ram does seem to be a problem though.

A few of the premium level, big buck trailers, we found when looking, will have disc's as an extra cost option. As an add on, expect to spend in the neighborhood of $1500 as a DIY project just for parts. Figure a dealership job at probably 2X that cost It's not a real difficult project if you have the inclination plus the tools, including a flaring tool for hydraulic lines. It is on my list as a 'maybe' if my ship full of cash ever arrives.

dcg9381
06-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Interesting.. Titan appears to be incompatible with OEM dodge at this time:
http://www.kodiaktrailerbrakes.com/Titan-Brake-Rite-Converter-for-FordChevyDodge-Integral-Brake-Controller_p_1267.html

Hydrastar lists Dodge as OK:
https://www.hydrastarusa.com/pdfs/Controller_Compatability_12-14.pdf

But it contradicts the FAQ:
Ford, Dodge, and GM state that their controllers are designed to be used with trailers equipped with electric brakes. We recommend that aftermarket brake controllers be used instead of the factory controllers for trailers equipped with hydraulic brakes.

The 2013+ dodge has light/heavy modes.. Surprised it won't work..