PDA

View Full Version : Ramp door springs

crash
06-09-2016, 06:35 AM
just noticed that I have a broken spring on the rear ramp door and one broke on the side patio door :banghead: has anyone ever replaced one of these springs and how hard is it to do? And where would I get them at?Thanks for any help.

Pull Toy
06-09-2016, 10:34 AM
I would not attempt this one myself. These springs are always under some level of torque, and quite hazardous to release or apply tension to, without the proper tools and safety equipment.

If your EV dealer is not the answer, try a body or suspension shop, or truck garage.

Good luck,

crash
06-09-2016, 11:07 AM
My springs are not under any load or pressure , with ramp doors up there is no pressure on them you can move them around alittle and back and forth I was just wondering how they come off and how hard is it to change them, Thanks though.:D

archerr2002
06-11-2016, 04:54 AM
I am a garage door tech, 20 years in. I have not worked on any toy haulers but several enclosed trailers with ramp doors. Now, with the ramp closed you will have very little tension on the door springs. Ramp open, these springs are packing. They need all of the spring tension to lift the ramp closed. With the ramp closed, it has about 2 turns on it, just enough to keep the door closed. Lowering the ramp loads the springs up. Torsion springs come in many different sizes all of which is based on the weight of your ramp. Very important to replace the spring or springs with the exact replacement. wrong wire size, length or diameter and the ramp will not balance. A properly balanced ramp will stop anywhere in the cycle without drifting. If you have 2 springs, replace them both. The one that isn't broken has worked just as hard as the one that is. If your cables are frayed now is the time to change them as well. A qualified garage door professional will be able to preform this service for you. Cost? depends.....My job, located in western Pa. service call is $85 and torsion springs run from $40 to $100 each depending on size. Cable is $1 a foot. Prices are just for caparison. If you do not know what you are doing, please call a professional, you can really hurt yourself! All work needs to be preformed with the rig parked on LEVEL ground with the ramp open. Hope this helps.