PDA

View Full Version : Thumping Noise

M3160RL
06-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Hey all. Just been in our new 5th for several weeks now. Parked, jacks down, and slides out. Just recently we have been hearing a new load thumping noise or creak that sounds like it is coming from under the floor near the slide out hydraulic. We can cause the sound to happen if we move heavily in the coach. Also, it seems only to happen in the afternoon and evening. Outside temperature has been hot during that this time. Any thoughts?

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

therink
06-07-2016, 02:32 PM
A little more information may help. Do you have hydraulic leveling system or slides? It could be that the hydraulic fluid is expanding in the closed system from thermal expansion caused by the afternoon heat. This expansion could cause the load bearing rams to self adjust to accommodate the expansion. Just a tthought.

Bushman512000
06-07-2016, 03:27 PM
As the heat of day warms the trailer the expanding begins and as night and temps drop things return to normal or is Your unit have a spook in it ...........:eek::D:

Desert185
06-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Hey all. Just been in our new 5th for several weeks now. Parked, jacks down, and slides out. Just recently we have been hearing a new load thumping noise or creak that sounds like it is coming from under the floor near the slide out hydraulic. We can cause the sound to happen if we move heavily in the coach. Also, it seems only to happen in the afternoon and evening. Outside temperature has been hot during that this time. Any thoughts?

Have you thought of taking the inflatable "toy" away from your dog? :D

M3160RL
06-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Check, no dog toys. :)

bobbecky
06-07-2016, 07:49 PM
You don't say what rig you have, but if yours has the hydraulic leveling system, it sounds like you are experiencing stiction in your hydraulic leveling rams. Go to http://www.lci1.com/support-center/ and select TI-191 for directions for adding an anti-stiction additive to your hydraulic system. We had the problem, and used the CAT fluid, and haven't had an issue since.

Dave W
06-08-2016, 04:01 AM
If it's like ours, it will have a creak/pop in the LH rear corner as the temp goes up then again as it goes back down. Not a clue as to what it is but so far hasn't caused any problem outside of a 2x a day startled jump by the two of us. Then if you have the 6 point leveling system, there are many reported cases where they will creak or pop. Another member has given you info on that.

cw3jason
06-08-2016, 05:02 AM
You don't say what rig you have, but if yours has the hydraulic leveling system, it sounds like you are experiencing stiction in your hydraulic leveling rams. Go to http://www.lci1.com/support-center/ and select TI-191 for directions for adding an anti-stiction additive to your hydraulic system. We had the problem, and used the CAT fluid, and haven't had an issue since.

:thumbsup: This X2....

M3160RL
06-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Thank you for the response and additional info link. I will review. The unit is a 2016 Montana 3160RL with the factory installed auto leveling 6 Jack system.