PDA

View Full Version : My 07 Duramax is driving me crazy

deltadude
06-03-2016, 05:07 AM
When I bought my truck from the previous owner, I took it for a short test drive around his neighborhood and all was good. Since then, driving it on all sorts of paved roads, I noticed a "clunk" in the steering. It's almost like the steering column is loose, but it isn't. I've replaced the steering shaft, put new shocks on, and just had the control arms and ball joints replaced. The torsion bars were also tightened. It is better but the feeling is still there. Anyone else with the same truck have this problem? It is the classic version.

BirchyBoy
06-03-2016, 05:40 AM
I'm not sure how similar it is to an older Yukon, but it's possible there is play in the steering box. If I recall, there is an adjustment screw that you can turn which will tighten things up. It can't be too tight, though.

canesfan
06-03-2016, 05:54 AM
I have an 04, not sure if it's the same issue but it was a known issue and the shaft was replaced under warranty a couple of times. It was finally fixed but the clunk came back a few years ago and they wouldn't fix it under warranty anymore. I had the truck in for other work last year and asked them to check it as it's really annoying. They found the problem and it wasn't the shaft this time, it was a bearing I think. I have an appointment on Tues for another issue and I'll confirm what they replaced and post back.

denverpilot
06-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Was going to mention there were years and years of service bulletins and a recall on some trucks for the steering clunk on the GM trucks. My '04 Yukon has never done it (yet) but it's supposed to.

Lost the in tank fuel pump right on schedule at 138,000 miles though.

deltadude
06-04-2016, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback. The only thing I haven't replaced yet is the idler arm.

PhilDeb
06-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Sorry I'm late checking in. Which steering shaft did you replace?

We did so many of these at the dealership. If it is just the clunk/pop felt in the steering wheel, it is most likely the steering intermediate shaft.

We replaced a bunch during a "special policy", never on a recall.

The rest we just lubed. The lube works out of the slip joint and lets the shaft clunk/pop.

Of course the Duramax makes it a little tougher. I'm talking the steering shaft from the column to the gear. NOT the bottom one where it goes onto the top of the steering gear box but the "intermediate" one that goes from that shaft to the column.

If you think this might be it, I can find or type the operation for you.

Otherwise, we had some upper control arm bushings that would wear and clunk too.

therink
06-05-2016, 07:53 AM
X2 for the intermediate steering shaft. There is a TSB fix for this on your year. It involves greasing the intermediate shaft behind the steering wheel/column. I had this done by dealer several times in my 05 & 08 HDs.

bobbecky
06-05-2016, 09:30 PM
On an older Chevy 3/4 ton truck, with high mileage on it, I ended up replacing both the Pitman arm, that's the part at the gear box, and also the idler arm, that's the one at the other end of the intermediate shaft. I also at one point, did also adjust the screw on top of the gear box. All that made a world of difference to stop the clunking in the steering.

deltadude
06-06-2016, 07:44 PM
It was the intermediate shaft. There was nothing wrong with the one taken out and I still had the clunk. That is when I replaced the shocks. Still there. Then just had the control arms and ball joints done. Better but not gone. I'll take a picture of the shaft I had replaced to make sure when we get back from vacation. On a side note, it's a miracle anything works in these trailers after driving 500 miles down I-5 in CA.

Richard Noble
06-07-2016, 07:30 AM
I have an '07 3500 Duramax dually with the same clunk. I went to our local Chevy dealer yesterday and he found the TSB which mentioned the need to replace the intermediate steering shaft - and, maybe the lower one since it could cause the interm. one to make this noise. The TSB specifically said not to lube the intermediate shaft. Price to replace the shaft is about $250. Service fellow said this is not a safety issue(?). I'm going to have the shaft replaced ASAP.

shov
06-07-2016, 08:37 AM
For anyone having this problem, which is almost everyone who owns one... I bought a ordinary hose clamp (2 1/4" I believe) and installed it on the steering shaft under the dash board. You will see the shaft going into a white plastic coupler, tighten the clamp around that, and viola, no more clunk! (usually)

KYFamily
06-16-2016, 11:36 AM
For anyone having this problem, which is almost everyone who owns one... I bought a ordinary hose clamp (2 1/4" I believe) and installed it on the steering shaft under the dash board. You will see the shaft going into a white plastic coupler, tighten the clamp around that, and viola, no more clunk! (usually)
I did the same thing but just used a wire tie. Been fixed for the past 5 years.