PDA

View Full Version : DANGER... Will Robinson... DANGER!

Pull Toy
06-01-2016, 02:36 PM
May just be a typo, but the Keystone 2016 lineup claims a higher clearance than prior years. Example... the 2016 Alpine has a 13'4" clearance... the previous models are all 12'8". Not sure why the change, but if you have a new 2016, I'd measure real good!

Might want to double check with your dealer... or Keystone? If it's not a typo, it's gotta' be a "Taller A/C" up front?

Karbar
06-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Don't know about other models my #15 Mountaineer has a height of 13' 5
Watch those over passes

gearhead
06-01-2016, 03:48 PM
May be with the 2nd A/c. That's about what mine is.

Pull Toy
06-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Our 2013 Alpine has two A/Cs as stock and clears 12'8"' They must have changed the front A/C unit?...

bsmith0404
06-02-2016, 05:54 PM
Ours was listed at 12'8", but actually measures at 13'5". Maybe keystone just got their tape measures out and updated the new units more accurately.

dcg9381
06-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Ours was listed at 12'8", but actually measures at 13'5". Maybe keystone just got their tape measures out and updated the new units more accurately.

OOph.. That could be a problem, glad you measured!

Pull Toy
06-03-2016, 02:20 PM
I'll drag out the ole yard stick tomorrow, and probably feel D*MN LUCKY after hauling it for 3 years with wrong factory info! BLUSH!

Stay tuned.....................

denverpilot
06-03-2016, 09:22 PM
Be interesting what you find. After we added the front A/C we ended up over 13' on our Laredo, for sure. We measured.

Quite annoying if you get into a town that hasn't cut their trees up off the road properly. Have seen a lot of tree branches that are significantly below the stop lights, in lots of towns.

rclark
06-04-2016, 08:17 AM
I have measured our 2013 Alpine 3555RL numerous times and no matter how I measure still comes out to 12' 8" just like the factory spec. The front AC is the high point and the sat dish is next high point. Our pole building door is exactly 13' so this measurement was critical. When I back the Alpine in I only have a 3/4 inch clearance. This due to slight incline of the driveway in front of the door.

It is important measure hooked up to the TV the way you travel with the fiver level. Many factors come into play on checking this height. For example, I have to let most of the air out of the air bags to make the clearance in the pole building.

I built the pole building with a 12' door and had to remodel and replace the door to get the Alpine to clear the door. Our previous RV was a Larado travel trailer that cleared easily.

Colts
06-04-2016, 10:31 AM
I am looking at the brochure the dealership provided on the Montana High Country 2016 models and all models show the height of 12 ft 9 inch. I hope this information is accurate.

Pull Toy
06-04-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm still coming up with 12'9". I have two Dometic A/Cs and the front one is not as tall as the rear one. I'll call Keystone on Monday and see what I can learn from them, and report back.

Stay tuned....

bsmith0404
06-04-2016, 06:06 PM
Big rig trailers are typically 13'6", that is the standard used for all truck routes. Since I'm not exceeding that, I feel confident if I stick to truck routes. I've measured my trailer several times and come up with small variations of 13'4"-13'5". Not only do I stick to truck routes through towns, I also don't attempt to go under anything not listed at 14' or more.

canesfan
06-05-2016, 06:01 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I've had a question and this might be the time to ask. What, if any, guidance/standards is there for gas station canopy markings? And I don't mean truck stops, just random gas stations. Or is it do whatever you want? I'm always hesitant with ones that aren't marked. I got into an argument with a buddy a few years ago when I wouldn't go under one that looked low and wasn't marked and he was telling me that under a certain height they had to be marked and I would be fine. Well, I wasn't going to find out the hard way. My current rig is 13'2" so there's not a lot of wiggle room. A previous trailer I was about to go under a canopy and just happened to notice the clearance marking, which was lower than my trailer. Had to back out of a very crowded gas station, which didn't make a few others too happy, but oh well.

Desert185
06-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Rig rig trailers are typically 13'6", that is the standard used for all truck routes. Since I'm not exceeding that, I feel confident if I stick to truck routes. I've measured my trailer several times and come up with small variations of 13'4"-13'5". Not only do I stick to truck routes through towns, I also don't attempt to go under anything not listed at 14' or more.

That's an effective, common sense approach to the problem. :thumbsup:

denverpilot
06-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I've had a question and this might be the time to ask. What, if any, guidance/standards is there for gas station canopy markings? And I don't mean truck stops, just random gas stations. Or is it do whatever you want? I'm always hesitant with ones that aren't marked. I got into an argument with a buddy a few years ago when I wouldn't go under one that looked low and wasn't marked and he was telling me that under a certain height they had to be marked and I would be fine. Well, I wasn't going to find out the hard way. My current rig is 13'2" so there's not a lot of wiggle room. A previous trailer I was about to go under a canopy and just happened to notice the clearance marking, which was lower than my trailer. Had to back out of a very crowded gas station, which didn't make a few others too happy, but oh well.

No standard nor consistency.

Some marked, some not.
Some high, some low.

Best way to deal with it is if it looks too low, get out and look.

Desert185
06-06-2016, 08:22 AM
If it looks tight, the wifey gets out and marshalls me in or stops me. Always have an easy back out (if that's possible...wifey again).

Dave W
06-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Adding the second a/c to ours put us over 13' - though only by about an inch, give or take a bit. It's still several inches less height then the last one which topped out a little over 13'8" with the Aero-Flow vent covers that I had on it. My way of thinking - if it looks too low, it is. I only had one underpass encounter with the expected back up/turn around in 6 years though the heat stretched and dangling power/cable lines in my neighborhood cost a TV antenna and two Aero Flow vent covers.

Elk4me
06-07-2016, 09:11 PM
There is a youtube video that shows a 5vr pulling in to a station and took the whole canopy down on his TV and a couple cars pumping gas. I bet his insurance company loved him.:eek::banghead:

Pull Toy
06-08-2016, 02:55 AM
Update:

E-mailed Keystone three days ago, still no response. Phone call to customer service confirms 12'8", but they probably just look at the spec sheet. I want it in writing.

Stay tuned,

Dave W
06-08-2016, 03:52 AM
Keystone will, as you found out, only tell you what is on the spec sheet and what their measurements were for a particular model. That spec can't take into account the way it's setup for hauling by your TV or what accessories you have mounted on the roof, along with changes in tires or suspension.

I measure mine by hooking up, ready to tow (air bags, if the TV is equipped, at operating pressure), tape and using good duct tape, a piece of 1x2 or 3 furring on the highest point, leveling it with a carpenter's level then use a rigid (1" or wider) tape measure from the ground. Not perfect but even with the furring 1"+/- sag, depending on that piece of wood and which I added to my figure, is usually close enough.

bsmith0404
06-08-2016, 05:17 AM
I measured mine by hooking up while still in the storage facility which is a nice level concrete pad, lay a 10' 2x4 across the front AC (highest point) and measuring down to the ground on both sides then average the measurements. By measuring both sides and taking an average, I account for any lean of the 2x4, plus I can do the entire process alone.

If a person doesn't want to go through all of that, an easy way is to have someone hold the end of the tape measure on the ground, put a 4' level at your highest point and measure up to it. Even if you have to eyeball it a bit, it gets you close enough. If you measure 13'5" and try going under an overhang marked at 13'6", you're crazy. Since most people will give themselves some cushion for comfort, this will be close enough.

Desert185
06-08-2016, 09:10 AM
I measured mine by hooking up while still in the storage facility which is a nice level concrete pad, lay a 10' 2x4 across the front AC (highest point) and measuring down to the ground on both sides then average the measurements. By measuring both sides and taking an average, I account for any lean of the 2x4, plus I can do the entire process alone.

If a person doesn't want to go through all of that, an easy way is to have someone hold the end of the tape measure on the ground, put a 4' level at your highest point and measure up to it. Even if you have to eyeball it a bit, it gets you close enough. If you measure 13'5" and try going under an overhang marked at 13'6", you're crazy. Since most people will give themselves some cushion for comfort, this will be close enough.

However it is measured, I think it should be measured (without a water load and if a toy hauler, with toys in the garage) and then use a 4" pad for unforeseen circumstances.

darrylwt
06-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know how high the 2015 305RL Montana HC is with the front AC Keystones says 12'9" but I think that is with one AC?

Dave W
06-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know how high the 2015 305RL Montana HC is with the front AC Keystones says 12'9" but I think that is with one AC?

With a Dometic Penguin it will be in the neighborhood of 13'2". With the Advent or standard Brisk Air, ~4" higher. This is based on our 343RL. As I said above, it also depends on your TV's setup, RV's suspension and whether you tow nose high as many seem to do these days.

Your best bet though is to do an actual measurement of your 5er just to be sure

Pull Toy
06-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Just got written reply from Keystone.

On our rig dual A/Cs are standard....

"Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. If there has been an update in our brochures, then yes there has been changes to the most recent year of unit. If your unit is a 2013, only that year of brochure will be compatible for your unit."

Huh?