PDA

View Full Version : Montana and High Country Questions

Butchy
05-30-2016, 05:06 AM
I am getting ready to move up to a 5th wheel from a small TT. We pretty much decided on the 3160RL but $ has us also considering the High Country 305RL or 352RL. The lengths are specified from hitch pin to rear bumper but the HC models have an extended bumper to accommodate the bike rack. Where can I find the actual length of each coach?

Thanks.

bitten
05-30-2016, 05:09 AM
Go to the keystone website. Specs on all models there.

bitten
05-30-2016, 05:11 AM
http://www.keystonerv.com/montana/models/3160rl/model-mobile

Butchy
05-30-2016, 05:52 AM
Thanks Bugbitten. Those specs only refer to the length from hitch to bumper. I am curious about the real difference in the coach lengths since the HC has an extended bumper.

darrylwt
05-30-2016, 06:51 AM
I am getting ready to move up to a 5th wheel from a small TT. We pretty much decided on the 3160RL but $ has us also considering the High Country 305RL or 352RL. The lengths are specified from hitch pin to rear bumper but the HC models have an extended bumper to accommodate the bike rack. Where can I find the actual length of each coach?

Thanks.

I have the 2015 305RL and it is 34'11" from metel to metal and 30.5 feet inside.
There would be only one thing I would change, It would be the hutch arrangement. I would have a full length pantry on the left side near the main slide with a door on a angle to come closer to the slide where there is plenty of space. Make the other part of the hutch a little deeper for more counter space and move the cabinet above the hutch higher above the conter to fit bigger appliance (Coffee maker) to fit and make the upper cabnet go to the celling for more storage. I hope this make sense.

Butchy
05-30-2016, 07:07 AM
Thanks Darryl. We are getting close to retirement and want to start traveling more so we are looking for something a little,bigger but not so long we cannot camp in state parks. It seems every time you step,into one just a little bigger you see more thing you want. Are you therwise happy with the 305RL?

darrylwt
05-30-2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks Darryl. We are getting close to retirement and want to start traveling more so we are looking for something a little,bigger but not so long we cannot camp in state parks. It seems every time you step,into one just a little bigger you see more thing you want. Are you therwise happy with the 305RL?

I know what you mean about looking at the next bigger one has more and better stuff but I didn't want to go to big and have problems getting into RV spots and parks. I didn't want to go to big and to heavy even though I did buy a one ton 3500 long bed truck with a 60 gal. fuel tank but when you go to big it get to be a pain getting into gas stations and where ever. I love my 305RL it is just right for us and the layout is great and the recliners are to comfortable and to easy to fall asleep in LOL just kidding but they are comfortable. This is what I added to mine, Solar panels 330 watts, 4 6 volt T-105 batteries, surge guard and a 3000 watt inverter, oh and full size satellite dish antenna.

gearhead
05-30-2016, 09:16 AM
We are fairly happy with our 305rl as well. There have been a few changes on the new ones. I don't think thay are as wide as they once were. I believe they are 8 lug wheels now, which is a good thing.
I immediately got rid of the OEM tires. You may talk to your dealer about a tire upgrade, or that could be some bargaining power...that you have to replace the China bombs as soon as you get it home.
The Airborne pin box helped ours a lot. If its in your budget you may look at the TrailAir.
Good luck.

NotyetMHCowner
05-30-2016, 09:17 AM
I have the 2015 305RL and it is 34'11" from metel to metal and 30.5 feet inside.
There would be only one thing I would change, It would be the hutch arrangement. I would have a full length pantry on the left side near the main slide with a door on a angle to come closer to the slide where there is plenty of space. Make the other part of the hutch a little deeper for more counter space and move the cabinet above the hutch higher above the conter to fit bigger appliance (Coffee maker) to fit and make the upper cabnet go to the celling for more storage. I hope this make sense.

My wife and I are laughing after reading your post of changing the hutch area. We ordered our 2015 305RL and thought we were getting the "early" version that had the pantry on the left of the hutch and the upper cabinets were really tall to fit any kind of appliance on the counter. But after waiting 5 months, we got the later 2015 version like you have. I think people probably complained about the upper cabinets being too tall to reach easily and wanting more counter space and that is the reason they made the change they did. We could argue the other version, but it seems like there is no perfect layout out there. What we do like about the later version are the 6k lb axles, 8 lug wheels, and the king size slide with the queen bed.

OP, if you find a used earlier 2015 305RL or a 2014 (I don't know about earlier years), they are only 33' 11" long because of having a queen slide instead of a king slide. Plus the differences to the hutch area mentioned. And also, a much better linen closet in the bathroom accessible also from the bedroom.

Butchy
05-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Thanks all, a lot here to consider. I he'd not thought much about the pin box but after looking at the videos online it does look like a great feature. The 3160RL comes with an upgrade, is that similar to the Airborne?

I am buying a F350 SRW 11,500# GVWR. Thoughts?

Anyone have the 352RL?

darrylwt
05-30-2016, 07:50 PM
My wife and I are laughing after reading your post of changing the hutch area. We ordered our 2015 305RL and thought we were getting the "early" version that had the pantry on the left of the hutch and the upper cabinets were really tall to fit any kind of appliance on the counter. But after waiting 5 months, we got the later 2015 version like you have. I think people probably complained about the upper cabinets being too tall to reach easily and wanting more counter space and that is the reason they made the change they did. We could argue the other version, but it seems like there is no perfect layout out there. What we do like about the later version are the 6k lb axles, 8 lug wheels, and the king size slide with the queen bed.

OP, if you find a used earlier 2015 305RL or a 2014 (I don't know about earlier years), they are only 33' 11" long because of having a queen slide instead of a king slide. Plus the differences to the hutch area mentioned. And also, a much better linen closet in the bathroom accessible also from the bedroom.

I have the king bed, the part abut the hutch I don't understand is how narrow it is when there is room between the wall and slide as far as it being to high I can understand that part I will look for a older 305RL to make me a cabinet later. Lol