PDA

View Full Version : Can i drive over my 50 amp black shore power cable?

nellie1289
05-26-2016, 02:01 PM
I did a quick search and didn't see it, but I am wondering if I can(on occasion) drive over the shore power cable without risk of damage. This may be a dumb question but just curious.

Pull Toy
05-26-2016, 02:18 PM
I do it all of the time, with two caveats:

1. I do it only on grass...
2. If I'm driving the mower, I turn off the blade!

If you expect to need to drive over it often make a bridge using 2 2X4s about a foot long, screwed to a piece of plywood far enough apart to lay the cord between them. (X2, One for each wheel.) I prefer to put the plywood on the down side, and lay the power cord on the plywood. Separate the parallel 2 bye's by enough to lay the power cord in the middle.

Those cords are too EXPEN$IVE to purposely abuse.

sourdough
05-26-2016, 03:37 PM
My suggestion is don't unless an emergency. Having repaired many cables with rubber/polypropylene/etc. conductors I can assure that the constant "mashing" of heavy weights into those conductors will destroy that insulation. Then you will have a short, short to ground or whatever that will not only destroy the cable but could do any kind of damage to the trailer and/or electrical service. Just open one up and imagine 7-8000 lbs running over it at regular intervals; they're wrapped together, they WILL mash into each other at some point.

SADLY
05-26-2016, 03:41 PM
It's practically negligence....!!

SADLY
05-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Actually I tend to agree with Pull-toy....

An occasional run over is no big deal... If I was in some arrangement where it would be repeated and unavoidable, I would do some ramp like he describes where the cord isn't getting crushed each time.

sourdough
05-26-2016, 04:13 PM

Well.....not practically, it is. There should be a way to position yourself so that you aren't forced to run over your power cord on a regular basis. If not, then you should use some sort of support as pulltoy mentioned. To intentionally run over your power cord to see if it can "take it" is well............financially irresponsible at the least:rolleyes:

nesparky
05-26-2016, 06:00 PM
Can't you just unplug it and move it out of the way?

sourdough
05-26-2016, 07:22 PM

Me thinks that SADLY is one of those that doesn't really care about rules, welfare of others......?? Alluding back to his reference of "negligence"......:banghead:

nellie1289
05-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Can't you just unplug it and move it out of the way?

Yes, it was more of a theoretical question. when I plug my RV into my home driveway the cord crosses in front of the cars that are in the garage, I typically just unplug it and throw the breaker before I do. It got me thinking. THe downside of unplugging is all the crap inside like satellite tv and crap has to reboot.

sourdough
05-26-2016, 09:53 PM
Yes, it was more of a theoretical question. when I plug my RV into my home driveway the cord crosses in front of the cars that are in the garage, I typically just unplug it and throw the breaker before I do. It got me thinking. THe downside of unplugging is all the crap inside like satellite tv and crap has to reboot.

If you can, I would find a way to place the cable so you didn't have to run over it all the time. My previous response will explain why. Good luck.

fla-gypsy
05-27-2016, 03:20 AM
Driving over the power supply will damage it. The weight put on it and the hardness of the surface will determine how much damage is done. I can assure you the manufacturer of the cord does not condone this. These are the facts and they are undisputed.

nellie1289
05-27-2016, 04:58 AM
Ok thanks everyone. This is why I ask before engaging in such reckless behavior

jsmith948
05-27-2016, 05:08 AM

Why not move the receptacle to the other side of the doorway?
A couple of junction boxes, some conduit, clamps etc. and wire and a little of your time.
Even if you hire it done it will probably be cheaper than a new cord?

chuckster57
05-27-2016, 05:39 AM
If your only trying to keep the battery charged and refer cold, you could use a 50-15 adaptor, plug into an extension cord, it could handle being run over a lot easier.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/50A-to-15A-RV-Pigtail-Adapter/72436/&

I use one of these alot when I don't want to drag that heavy cord across the shop or the customer doesn't bring it with the rig.

nellie1289
05-27-2016, 06:19 AM
I use the plug to run the ac while im loading it etc. Its not a huge issue, I just unplug it now when im going to take the other car out of the garage until we leave on our journey.

sourdough
05-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Chuckster57 has a good solution. Just get the 50/15 pigtail and use a regular 120vac extension cord. I use a 12 ga cord but you could probably get by with 14ga if it's not a long distance. MUCH cheaper than the 50 amp cable for the trailer. I run the AC when getting ready to go along with the fridge and I've not had any problems. Might be your solution too.

gearhead
05-27-2016, 11:23 AM
I ran over 3-4 of them yesterday morning. We pulled into the RV lot at Indy500. They provide power with big CAT generators. The lot boss told me to "park it there". What about those big power cords? Run over them. Sure thing.

happy camper guy
05-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Someone who asks this should not camp with an RV.

Pull Toy
05-27-2016, 02:33 PM
REALLY ? Camper Guy.... who appointed you SHAMER in Chief?

Obviously there are several legitimate opinions on this thread, but what possessed you to make an ignorant comments like that?

theeyres
05-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Someone who asks this should not camp with an RV.

There is always one who has to be the person to really try put down another person who asks a legitimate question and it looks like you are the one. If you have to be so negative, go somewhere else. We don't need you on this great forum.