PDA

View Full Version : Major problem with water tank?

Bible9230
05-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Two weeks ago I went dry camping and I brought a full tank of water with me. There was no leaking before I left home. When I arrived I notice that water water leaking badly from the water tank drain. It was not due to a loose fitting that had access to. Is it possible for the tank to crack or is it most likely a fitting that I cannot see?

It's a 2012 trailer so I am well past my warranty. Is this a service that a mobile RV service man can handle or do I need to bring it in to the dealer?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25gjb21c3l800yh/tank%20leak.mp4?dl=0

sourdough
05-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Can you drop part of the coroplast to see inside? Hopefully you could determine if a fitting came loose or if the tank cracked?

chuckster57
05-27-2016, 05:55 AM
Peel the foam from around the drain, then just remove as many screws as you have to allowing you to peek in where the drain is.

There are a few possibilities, and if the tank is cracked, no a mobile mechanic isn't going to be able to fix it. Fresh tanks are made of plastic like milk jugs so welding isn't much of an option. I can't say any repair method I have seen/used has been successful.

Replacement isn't that difficult. Much easier than a gray or black tank.

JRTJH
05-27-2016, 06:01 AM
I agree, removing the foam and unscrewing the drain fixture from the tank will allow you to unfasten the coroplast and "peel it back" away from the tank to inspect the bottom.

I believe you have a Cougar 29BHSWE. If so, isn't the tank located under the queen bed in the front of the trailer? Quite often, with travel trailers (as opposed to fifth wheels) the fresh water tank is inside the coach, not suspended under the floor. You "might get lucky" and find it's accessible by removing a bed platform and/or a cabinet face without having to do the work under your RV.

Good Luck and keep us posted !!!