PDA

View Full Version : Repair and Maintenance Resources

AmIHereYet
05-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Hi,

We are getting ready to buy a 5th wheel - probably a used one - and I would like to be able to handle whatever problems arise myself if possible. I'm wondering if any of you more experienced folks have any suggestions as far as useful books, DVDs, or anything else that would be valuable for a wanna-be do it yourself guy? Any "must have" resources I should be aware of? I've had pretty good results with home repair issues by just searching the internet when there is a problem. That may work with an RV most of the time, but I like having access to information wherever we may be.

I found a 5 day repair course that sounds good but is pretty expensive - anyone have any experience with that kind of thing?

Thanks,
Terry

dwall
05-20-2016, 08:17 AM
In my experience I have found whatever you are prepared for never happens. Expect the unexpected and enjoy the ride. A basic understanding on the plumbing and electrical will go a long way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fla-gypsy
05-20-2016, 10:12 AM
In my experience I have found whatever you are prepared for never happens. Expect the unexpected and enjoy the ride. A basic understanding on the plumbing and electrical will go a long way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2, 12v and 120v electric. Most everything can be figured out if you have some basic skills and will invest some time.

Pull Toy
05-20-2016, 02:50 PM
I think that you'll find all of the resources you need right here... free for nothing more than the price of your internet connection!

I've been haulin' since 1965, and still glean new useful info every day from right here.

Stay tuned, the best days are ahead of you! Probably 800+ years of combined experience here!

Steve S
05-20-2016, 03:04 PM
My honest opinion is that with the resources here and all the experience from everyone combined would be of more value to you then a course, DVD or a book."bouncey:

Desert185
05-20-2016, 04:10 PM
My honest opinion is that with the resources here and all the experience from everyone combined would be of more value to you then a course, DVD or a book."bouncey:

Worked for me...and it still is!

JRTJH
05-20-2016, 05:09 PM
x4... Any problem I've encountered has been answered right here within 24 hours. Most things I can sit down, think about and come up with a reasonable solution, but for those "out there" problems, the ones that I'm sure nobody has ever seen before, when posted on the forum, someone had that same problem last year or with their last trailer.

So, save your money, the course "might give you basic knowledge" but you would never learn in 5 days what the membership can "give you" at a moment's notice......

roadglide
05-20-2016, 08:11 PM
look under the wheel wells for damage caused by blow outs. roof inspection and converter is charging. It depends on how old the rv is and usage.

AmIHereYet
05-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've already learned a lot on these forums about weights and towing issues - great resource for newbies!

Thanks again,
Terry