PDA

View Full Version : Wax removal on cap query

Fishhawk
05-18-2016, 05:12 AM
We just bought a 2012 Montana and although there is no faded cap issue
I have another cap problem

The owner had waxed the cap with a hard paste wax and then forgot (?) to go back and buff it out
The sun has harden the paste wax and now the cap looks botchy and pretty bad (to me)
the harden wax doesnt respond very well to buffing or cleaning
At least so far with what I've used on it

My question is
Any input on the best wax removal product and process?

Thanks

chuckster57
05-18-2016, 05:15 AM
You might try using a rag with denatured alcohol.

concours
05-18-2016, 07:03 AM
I haven't seen the cap but the UV damage (fading) to our front cap looked as if it had dried on wax that would not buff out if its worse at the top and looks better towards the bottom I would bet that we are talking about the common fading problem

Fishhawk
05-19-2016, 04:05 AM
I haven't seen the cap but the UV damage (fading) to our front cap looked as if it had dried on wax that would not buff out if its worse at the top and looks better towards the bottom I would bet that we are talking about the common fading problem

No, it's not a fading problem

The dried wax buildup is uniform across the cap

But thanks for your input

I might give Chucksters suggestion a try

Stew
05-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Try Dawn dishwashing liquid

CWSWine
05-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Dawn will take off the wax but I was told that it can damage the graphics and glue that holds them on - use to your own risk.

What I would try is get a detailing spray and use it and micro fiber towel. That works most of the time.

kfxgreenie
05-20-2016, 07:54 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M4965-Marine-Fiberglass-Restoration/dp/B0000AY4YT/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463787581&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+meguiars+kit

With A DA buffer it'll look like new. You need to cut the old wax and contaminates off.

Stew
05-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Dawn will take off the wax but I was told that it can damage the graphics and glue that holds them on - use to your own risk.

What I would try is get a detailing spray and use it and micro fiber towel. That works most of the time.

Never heard that about the graphics and glue. Thanks for the info.

Mike

bsmith0404
05-30-2016, 06:19 AM
70% iso alcohol will most likely remove it, weaker solutions will work as well with more elbow grease. When using a solution that strong make sure you are washing/rinsing it off quickly and not letting it sit on the surface for long (a 70% solution will actually soften a clear coat on a car if left to sit) You can also try a clay bar which is designed to remove wax and other contaminates from the surface.