PDA

View Full Version : Hidden black and grey tank handles.

unyalli
05-16-2016, 07:22 AM
So the new 2016 Cougar XLite 26RBI is great. I've adapted to the fresh water fill system but the hidden, dang near inaccessible, dump handles is beyond me. You have to be a contortionist or lay down on the ground to work them. I'm thinking I need an access panel cut into the skirt so I can work this situation.

- Jeff

Festus2
05-16-2016, 07:32 AM
To make this job somewhat easier, some members have fashioned a "hook" attached to a short pole. Using this home-made device, you can pull the handle out and push it in. I've seen some with the "hook" on one end (for pulling) of the pole and a flat pad (for pushing) on the other.

Obviously, having the slide retracted when dumping also gives greater access to the handles.

sourdough
05-16-2016, 07:57 AM
There is a post somewhere on this forum (I haven't found it yet) that addressed your question. The person used a water valve wrench of some kind (I can't remember its exact name and haven't been able to find it) from Home depot. It's about 30" long with a T handle and a U shaped end. I just heated the U end and bent it 90 degrees. It kind of cracked anyway but a shot of JB Weld fixed that. I place it around the dump handle to pull it out then turn it around to push it back in. Cost about $6 if I recall in the plumbing section at Home Depot. It's not a regular T wrench for a water line cutoff. I'll try to remember it. In the meantime you could probably find it if you get the right search parameters.

sourdough
05-16-2016, 08:01 AM
Ahah!! I found it. Here is a link to the tool. Maybe you can make it into something you can use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/30-in-Steel-Sprinkler-Valve-Key-53033/100014663

canesfan
05-16-2016, 08:46 AM
Ahah!! I found it. Here is a link to the tool. Maybe you can make it into something you can use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/30-in-Steel-Sprinkler-Valve-Key-53033/100014663

Thanks for the link!! That sounds like it's worth a try, although I'm not sure it will help. My second gray tank valve is on the frame behind a tire. You have to reach under the fender and over the tire. Brilliant design. Oh, I can put the slide out but then I have to crawl under the slide. Not that much more helpful. :rolleyes:

audio1der
05-17-2016, 09:52 PM
You could buy a tank handle with a longer length of threaded aluminum for about $10 (I got mine here in Canada for $15). Ours now sticks out a good foot instead of a couple inches.

jsmith948
05-18-2016, 04:21 AM
Someone here on the forum installed a square access door (similar to a water filler door)in the skirting that can be opened and would allow you to reach in and grab the t-handle. You might try searching the Maint/Mods section:)

Added on edit: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16892&highlight=dump+handle+access+door

gkainz
05-18-2016, 05:47 AM
Edit: removed the quote, as I quoted the wrong post.
If you can open up the belly, you may find that the cable currently installed already has plenty of length. Opened my 245RL and saw that one of my dump cables had at least 3 feet of extra length circled up and stuffed between gaps to somewhat hold it out of the way.
If you have that, you could relocate that handle to a more accessible location without replacing the cable.