PDA

View Full Version : Durango dry camping area?

tank45
05-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Headed up there in a couple of weeks for a marathon. Anyone know of a decent area for dispersed camping... my unit is about 40ft long and I can get it into some fairly tight spaces but elbow room is our friend. I'm not averse to bouncing down forest roads so long as there's enough overhead for the A/Cs and whatnot. We don't go to RV parks because our dogs can be problematic around other folk's pets.

Thank you!

sourdough
05-15-2016, 01:00 PM
If you can't stay in an RV park I'm not sure what's around Durango as far as unimproved dispersed camping (NF??). There is camping in the forest in the San Juans around Pagosa Springs but I don't recollect much, if anything, around Durango. Someone else may have a better memory than me.

BOWWOW
05-15-2016, 03:45 PM
You can find dispersed dry camping north of Durango and northwest of Hermosa. Forest road 576, also there is a national forest campground on that same road . Clearance is good. It does dead end but there are places to turn around.

tank45
05-16-2016, 04:26 AM
Google Earth'd it... looks like a winner! The half Marathon start is only about 4 miles away as the crow flies (Baker Bridge) from the lower Hermosa Campground - I'm certain I can find something around there. Gonna have to do a little fly fishing as well methinks.

Thanks so much