PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for shower?

aksilvy1
05-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Where the base of the shower meets with the walls it is not sealed, can water get up under there and leak through? Doesn't look like its got any sealant there or if it is designed that way.

canesfan
05-15-2016, 10:10 AM
I've seen this question asked lots of times. The base has a "lip" that goes up behind the enclosure walls. It would be "difficult" for water to flow up behind the wall and over this lip. I guess anything is possible though. I don't see it would hurt anything to caulk it, but I've never worried about it.

Richard Noble
05-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Ours is the same way. I'd suggest that you leave it alone. If a tiny amount of water got behind the walls and you caulked it the moisture could not drain. I've never had a problem and water does have a tendency to drain down. I know, that was being a SA.

nellie1289
05-15-2016, 12:34 PM
I had this issue on mine. There was clearly some sticky tape or sealant behind the wall that overhangs the tub wall that goes up and underneath. If you pushed on it you could hear the tape hold it then unstick. I brought it to my dealers attention and they put more fastener tabs at the bottoms to hold it down better

Murphsmom
05-15-2016, 12:42 PM
We have the same situation with our shower. The only problem I can see with caulking it is that you will have flex in the trailer which could conceivably just loosen the caulk. Then you would have the loose edge plus a messy looking caulk line. I think I would just leave it alone, too.

sourdough
05-15-2016, 01:10 PM
^^^Same as those above....not to worry.

GaryWT
05-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Designed that way.

aksilvy1
05-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Awesome thanks!

bg71361
05-16-2016, 04:22 AM
Where the base of the shower meets with the walls it is not sealed, can water get up under there and leak through? Doesn't look like its got any sealant there or if it is designed that way.

Mine leaked into the basement from that seam, had to caulk it!
Good luck, keep an eye on it.