PDA

View Full Version : Faded Front Cap - Another Story

chartrand
05-13-2016, 05:57 AM
Like many my brown front cap started to fade badly and I was to far past my warranty for Keystone to help me. Ended up taking it to a body shop and they were able to buff out all the fading and then applied 3 coats of UV blocking clear coat. The original decals are still there, and the clear coat was applied right over the decals after they were cleaned and buffed as well. Very happy with how it looks and I'm hoping it last. Cost was just under $400

Before
http://i.imgur.com/2totHDgl.jpg (http://imgur.com/2totHDg)

After
http://i.imgur.com/2dazbvPl.jpg (http://imgur.com/2dazbvP)

Tbos
05-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Looks like new. Thanks for the info.

jje1960
05-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Looks great, hope this lasts, please keep us informed. I have been really wondering about some type of sealing coat. Until then, just keep using the orbital buffer and cleaning wax, definitely a job and a half once or twice a year...... Just got done with this years 'ordeal' last Saturday.....

GaryWT
05-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Looks great. Mine is starting to fade just in the upper corner, not bad yet but will need to get it done at some point.

dcg9381
05-14-2016, 07:54 AM
wow! Looks great!

esmoglo
05-14-2016, 12:50 PM
That looks fantastic well worth the money...

Bowhunter
05-17-2016, 03:26 AM
Looks great! I have not had this issue yet, or have heard of this happening, but thanks for the info! Looks great and glad there is something you can do for it.

denverpilot
05-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Wow. Mine is doing that and this sounds like it's worth a try.

chartrand
12-20-2016, 05:25 PM
I was asked to report back on my front cap at the end of the season. Well it still looks GREAT!! What the auto place did is way better than what I could do with several of the waxes I tried first. They coated the cap with a UV clear coat, so I think I should be good for awhile.

summerhummer
12-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks you so very much for replying back. I am doing the same thing myself so the tip to add a clear coat UV protectant is great info. As a note I used Meguiars oxidation removal myself as a test. I ordered it to see if I could take off grey off my brown cap before I hired a shop to repaint. Based on the results so far I may forgo the $2,500 paint job. Based on your May to Dec trial review I most likely will forgo it.

I am done with 1 /2 of the cap oxidation removal. I will then add wax and per you add a UV clear coat ! This is good news and makes me feel better about the wax job lasting more than a few weeks.

chartrand
02-28-2017, 08:25 AM
SummerHammer, did you ever finish your wax and clearcoat? How did it work out for you?

GregH.
03-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Just curious, what product did they use? I'm about to get a new camper, and I'd like to apply it right away.

Thanks,
Greg

chartrand
03-22-2017, 06:26 PM
Sorry Greg, I just know it was clear coat, but I have no idea what brand they were using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

summerhummer
05-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Hi guys sorry I have been mia. I used meguires heavy oxidation remover and meguires high gloss was. It came back well... I never got around to the clear coat.i say it lasted about a good 3.5 months with no touch up and no clear coat sealer wax. The trailer sat in the repair shop for a month waiting on my turn at a bearing service and then I took it out for 15 days in Florida Alabama and lousiana sunshine and ocean side conditons then it sat another month in outside storage. I need to do it all over again but this time will be easier than the last from what I can tell from trying a section..

Double b
05-04-2017, 04:01 AM
Question with regards to Clear Coat used and how the decals came out.

First is it possible to find out if they used water based or solvent based clear coat when you had the cap clear coated?

Second how did you decals come out? Was there any running in the printed decals?

Mine became worst this year with every spot that was buffed last year pealing away. I would not recommend using a buffer on any of the cap. You'll just make the situation worst quicker.

I only painted the top band across the top of the camper last fall, but everything below it pealing now. Called Keystone and it seams every decal on the cap is $120 each if available. So was looking to do the same as you. Any information on products and outcome of printed decals would be very helpful.

Frank G
05-04-2017, 04:51 AM
Let me Jump in here, the graphics are printed on a white vinyl using a solvent printer without lamination. The life expectancy is about 4 years before fade occurs. Yes, there are better products out there but low prices always win. A properly printed and laminated graphic on top quality material will last over 10 years. Top coating with a true clear coat (automotive finish) wither water or solvent base will help. Yes a printed graphic can be top coated with a solvent base clear coat.

Cost Factor: For Printed Graphics with No Overhead
What you get $.75 Sq. Ft. or less Top Shelf $4.00 Sq. Ft.

Buffing will erode the top coatings of the graphic and shorten the life.

I have no technical data to support the promise that any hand applied wax or coating will prolong the life of a graphic. Most of the graphic material suppliers suggest not waxing graphics.

There is much info on line, 3-M, MacTac, Arlon, General Formulations, Oracal, Kapco, and more.

chartrand
05-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Update... after sitting all winter I did a full roof and body wash. I noticed my decals (white areas) in two specific spots started turning orange. I was unable to clean it, as the color is below the new gel coat. Best guess is I'm seeing a chemical reaction. It's not a big deal to me where it is, but for some it could be a big deal.

Double b
05-16-2017, 04:03 AM
Update... after sitting all winter I did a full roof and body wash. I noticed my decals (white areas) in two specific spots started turning orange. I was unable to clean it, as the color is below the new gel coat. Best guess is I'm seeing a chemical reaction. It's not a big deal to me where it is, but for some it could be a big deal.

Got a picture????

chartrand
02-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Here are a few pictures of what I suspect is a chemical reaction between the decal and the clear coat that was applied over top of them. The cap was sanded, do maybe the decades were scuffed.

It did get progressively worse over the summer from when I originally reported back to the group.

Either way I have an appointment Next week for the cap to be sanded, painted, and clear coated. After it cures, I’ll apply the replacement decals.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180221/301efe514b1005eb303cbdbe293684b8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180221/b10e06b1f20f90b6bb9e6b5b5788d2cf.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180221/f2b6ab2e97fb5c1106a2b7ae31c849b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alpine
02-20-2018, 09:25 PM
I have been thinking about the "fading cap" and "decal" fiasco for about five years now... knock on wood mine still look new! However if it comes to painting the cap I would have complimentary "decals" actually painted on then clear coated. There are several RV's that have had this done where we are and they look fantastic! No more decals to worry about. :facepalm: So when the time comes..........

Tbos
02-21-2018, 05:47 PM
I have a few of those little red spots on my front decal too.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

chartrand
02-23-2018, 07:01 PM
I have been thinking about the "fading cap" and "decal" fiasco for about five years now... knock on wood mine still look new! However if it comes to painting the cap I would have complimentary "decals" actually painted on then clear coated. There are several RV's that have had this done where we are and they look fantastic! No more decals to worry about. :facepalm: So when the time comes..........

Taking your advice and the shop is painting the decals on. I should have it back within the next two weeks.

Alpine
02-23-2018, 07:48 PM
Taking your advice and the shop is painting the decals on. I should have it back within the next two weeks.

:bow::bow::bow:

Looking forward to photos of the finished product!

chartrand
03-08-2018, 02:40 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/cde798495b1e29b41be095c990aa3371.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/1c7084ad0c137836cc22db8b17fd094f.jpg

Here is the finished paint job. There are no decals in these two pictures, only paint.

I’m not planning to put the Keystone Decals back on, just going to have paint I think. That way I avoid fading in the future.

Next up, new tires going on tomorrow.

Gegrad
03-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Nice, looks good! Body shop just repaint it? Interesting my clear is holding up well (have to get it waxed soon), but my decals are peeling off around the edges- mainly the "Premier" logo. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

Alpine
03-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Here is the finished paint job. There are no decals in these two pictures, only paint.

I’m not planning to put the Keystone Decals back on, just going to have paint I think. That way I avoid fading in the future.

Next up, new tires going on tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Oh wow wow wow.... that looks fantastic! No worries about decals, I like it just the way it is!

sourdough
03-08-2018, 08:33 PM
I have to say the same.....it looks great. Who in the world would want to put decals on that and then have to worry about them? Leave a good job alone! On the other hand.....what are you going to do about LP? I know you want to maximize the view of the new paint but won't you need LP sometime in the future......:) :)

chartrand
03-09-2018, 02:13 AM
I have to say the same.....it looks great. Who in the world would want to put decals on that and then have to worry about them? Leave a good job alone! On the other hand.....what are you going to do about LP? I know you want to maximize the view of the new paint but won't you need LP sometime in the future......:) :)

Lol, yeah this was just picked up and parked in my driveway, tanks and batteries have not been put back on yet. The front cap is brown, and I thinking maybe a black propane cover might look nicer than the white one I already have?

jeerme
03-12-2018, 12:50 PM
very nice! i will be getting my repainted this spring to and the no decal look is growing on me.

sourdough
03-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Lol, yeah this was just picked up and parked in my driveway, tanks and batteries have not been put back on yet. The front cap is brown, and I thinking maybe a black propane cover might look nicer than the white one I already have?

I think I would prefer the black myself...