PDA

View Full Version : Fridge in new Cougar

BlueThunder34
05-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Noticed that I can't seem to bring the temp down in the new Cougar below 38-40 degrees on a warm 80degree day. In the morning hours it is at about 32-34 but once it gets hot the temp won't stay in that 34-35 range like our Springdale did. This is with an empty fridge running on propane, door shut and sealed, and temp thermistor all the way up on the plastic fin slide. Freezer is ice cold. This is a new trailer so trying to sort it out before first trip without taking it back to dealer to sit for months. Any ideas, or does it sound like a defective unit?

Pull Toy
05-12-2016, 02:08 PM
I believe the fuller the 'fridge is, the better it cools. As soon as you open the door, you dump all of the cold air unless there is "cold stuff" in there to help it recover quicker, and retain some cold.

It's definitely not like your home refrigerator, keep it full.

JRTJH
05-12-2016, 03:15 PM
You didn't say if it works properly when on electricity, so it's possible you have a problem with venting, temperature control circuitry or venting???

First of all, I'd check operation on electricity. If it is working properly, then I'd look at the propane exhaust chimney to make sure the baffle is installed properly and that the flame is centered in the chimney.

If it is not working on electricity or propane, I'd look at venting to be sure there is no blockage in the vent stack. Then I'd check to make sure the door is sealing properly. Any gap in the magnetic seal will really impact the refrigerator operation while not affecting the freezer.

If the above don't improve your refrigerator performance, I'd contact the dealership to have them check the control board for proper operation.

BlueThunder34
05-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give these ideas a try. Anything I can do to avoid having to leave it at the dealership for the summer is worth a shot.