PDA

View Full Version : De-Winterization procedure

monica4patience
05-07-2016, 06:48 PM
When you request de-winterization from a service, what all do they do?

When I went to open our trailer this weekend just after it had been serviced. He opened the slides, installed & hooked up the battery, hooked up electric and water. The surge protector was left laying atop the battery --- not installed at electric junction. I was not able to get heat from the furnace, keep a stovetop burner running and when the electric heater tripped a circuit, the fridge "gas" button was flashing and wouldn't run on gas. I checked the propane tank and it was turned on. So, what did our service guy forget to do?

Tbos
05-07-2016, 07:04 PM
When you request de-winterization from a service, what all do they do?

When I went to open our trailer this weekend just after it had been serviced. He opened the slides, installed & hooked up the battery, hooked up electric and water. The surge protector was left laying atop the battery --- not installed at electric junction. I was not able to get heat from the furnace, keep a stovetop burner running and when the electric heater tripped a circuit, the fridge "gas" button was flashing and wouldn't run on gas. I checked the propane tank and it was turned on. So, what did our service guy forget to do?

Never paid anyone to do dewinterize for me. I always fill my propane tanks, then fill my fresh water tank and add some bleach to flush the lines. Once everything is flushed and the HW tank is full I turn the HWH on gas. It is furthest from the tanks. I then turn the stove and fridge on and check them on gas and then check the fridge on elec. Hope you get the help you need and are able to go camping soon.

JRTJH
05-08-2016, 03:53 AM
I think everyone has their own interpretation of what "de-winterizing" really includes. For some, it's the "whole ball of wax" with system checks, appliance checks, battery checks, leak checks (plumbing, gas and coach), bearing/brake service, washing/cleaning and filling the propane, etc. To others, it's flushing the water lines, filling the fresh water tank and adding Clorox.

As an example, this link is to the Camping World services explanations. You can see their "services explained": http://www.campingworldofnewhampshire.com/service

As listed, "De-Winterization After the long, cold winter, make sure your system is clean of antifreeze and checked for leaks."

So, it seems that for CW, "de-winterization" means flushing the water system and checking for leaks. Also listed are a host of "other services" such as "45 point inspection", "furnace inspection", "refrigerator service", "air conditioner service", etc. There's even a separate "water system service" that's "Recommended annually to prevent water system failures."

So, in my way of thinking, if you didn't get an explanation of "what's included" in the de-winterization you requested, it's pretty much open for interpretation as to what the service actually included.

Also, consider that at many RV service centers, a "front to back" service request (what some people do every year to de-winterize their RV) would probably cost upwards of $1,000 or even more.

I'd say that if you're not satisfied with what was done, talk to whoever did it and ask what was included. There's probably a significant difference in what you "thought you'd get" and what they "include for that price"......

monica4patience
05-08-2016, 08:13 AM
Thanks John! I do plan to talk to them. My parents used the same company for yearsand we've used the for the last 4 winters that we've had an RV. It's only recently that we've had problems.

Last year they didn't bypass the hot water tank and we weren't able to flush the antifreeze out completely. We weren't able to be at the campground much during the summer to have them come out and address the issue. I have chemical sensitivities and couldn't handle the odor. We simply reverted back to our tent and pop-up days and heated dish water in the coffee pot!

Another thing they siding address was a cracked septic cap. Luckily for us the campground had a spare we could use, so we at least could use and flush the toilet!