PDA

View Full Version : Discount Tire Choices

Milocka
05-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Hi All - I will not buy tires from anywhere other than discount tire. I've been a lifelong customer starting with my first car when I was 16. 22 years later, never bought a tire elsewhere. With that said, I've got China bombs on my Laredo 5th wheel and will be replacing them next week. The question is which tire to replace them with?

I've seen good reviews of the Carlisle Trail RH and they are about $40 less per tire than the Maxxis 8008's.

Both are load range E and 10 ply. Current bombs are range D and 8 ply I believe.

Which tire should I go with? I know I'll get 10 different opinions but I am looking for real world use cases to try and make an educated decision.

Are the Maxxis tires worth $200 more for a set of 5 compared got the Carlisles? (Replacing spare too)

Thanks in advance for the opinions and recommendations.

Milocka
05-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Forgot to mention that the trailer spends a lot of time on dirt roads too...

hankpage
05-04-2016, 09:28 AM
I have no personal experience with the tires you mention but ........
FYI, Make sure your rims are rated for 80 psi E rated tires. JM2¢, Hank

gearhead
05-04-2016, 01:22 PM
I put Maxxis on our previous Cougar soon after the purchase. Did the same with the Montana. No issue yet.
My local Discount Tire doesn't keep them in stock. They had to order from their warehouse. Took 1 or 2 days.

Desert185
05-04-2016, 04:48 PM
I have the Maxxis on the toyhauler and Carlisles on the car hauler and enclosed utility trailer. No problems with either brand. Will probably replace the Maxxis with Maxxis when the time comes.

440justin
05-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I will add a question to this.... I am also looking to go from D to E. My rims can handle the 80psi. Have people had good luck with the load range E tires at 65-70psi when the weight allows? I have a gross weight at 5420# and gvwr of 6800# so I don't really need the high pressure for the weight

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Desert185
05-04-2016, 04:59 PM
I will add a question to this.... I am also looking to go from D to E. My rims can handle the 80psi. Have people had good luck with the load range E tires at 65-70psi when the weight allows? I have a gross weight at 5420# and gvwr of 6800# so I don't really need the high pressure for the weight

I always run max sidewall pressure regardless of trailer weight on all my trailer tires, which is generally recommended.

JRTJH
05-04-2016, 05:06 PM
There are two schools of thought on trailer tire pressure. One school suggests weighing the trailer and adjusting tire pressure per the recommended setting based on weight using pressure in the "load/inflation chart", the other suggests always maintaining ST tire pressure at the maximum pressure stated on the tire sidewall.

Maxxis doesn't address a recommended method, however Carlisle suggests: "Maintain air pressure at the maximum PSI recommended on the
tire sidewall." http://www.carlstargroup.com/cms_files/original/Trailer_Tires__Tips_Best_Practices.pdf

slow
05-04-2016, 06:38 PM

I have been giving the same thought to my tire upgrade but started thinking about: Why go to Es when Ds at 65 psi give us 2 times the capacity of our loaded TT?. Would Es at 80 psi rattle our TT apart? Is there a tire durability or other consequence if we were to run Es at 65 psi? Do the extra plys obligate the user to run higher psi?

I am leaning toward staying with Ds at this time.

440justin
05-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I have been giving the same thought to my tire upgrade but started thinking about: Why go to Es when Ds at 65 psi give us 2 times the capacity of our loaded TT?. Would Es at 80 psi rattle our TT apart? Is there a tire durability or other consequence if we were to run Es at 65 psi? Do the extra plys obligate the user to run higher psi?

I am leaning toward staying with Ds at this time.
But the flip side I think of is most of us run our truck tires below the max sidewall psi number. In addition I had seen where the HD trucks give a loaded and unloaded pressure rating.

I guess I am just looking to confirm people have not had issues, but I agree you and me have a good factor of safety on the D's due to the trailer size.

theeyres
05-04-2016, 08:07 PM
I went to Discount Tires ready to buy Maxxis and the salesperson recommended the Carlisle Trail RH. He convinced me the Carlisle were just as good as the Maxxis, were less $$, and he threw in balancing and a better guarantee so I went with it. I had no problems with the Carlisle and we went over some rough roads. This was on our former trailer but I would sure go with them again. The comments and reviews so far seem to indicate the salesman was right.

denverpilot
05-04-2016, 09:39 PM
This is year three on the Carlile tires, the year where it really counts. Will let y'all know if they make it. :)

Milocka
05-05-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm gonna order the Carlisles. 225/75 15E. Suppose I'll just get 5 and replace the spare too. It's just money...

Ken / Claudia
05-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Remember that spare tire even if never has been on the road is wore out by age. Why risk it get 5 new tires. Last year I changed out my boat trailer tires, all 5. The spare was never on the road, ever. It looked like the others (side walls cracked) just with full thread.

cathcartww
05-08-2016, 06:00 PM
I put Maxxis on the trailer, and Michelin on the truck - I know they are pricey, but I have never had trouble with either with many trucks and two trailers.

That being said, for the spare, I just put on a Towmaster or something because it is on a regular steel wheel (the trailer has aluminum ones), and if I ever need it, it will only be temporary until I can fix the problem.

I do always replace the spare when I replace the other tires - just use a cheaper one ......

bsmith0404
05-09-2016, 02:18 AM
Both are great tires. Personally, I've never had a problem with the Carlisle and would not spend the extra money on the Maxxis. The question you need to ask yourself isn't if you need to spend the extra money, it's what can you live with. If your personal opinion (regardless of what we say) is that the Maxxis is a better tire, you'll sleep better at night if you spend the extra cash. $200 is a small price to pay for a goods nights sleeps. If you are confident with the quality of the Carlisle, why spend the extra? I put the Carlisle Radial Trail RH on mine and never thought twice since.

As for different tire pressures, as already mentioned, Carlisle recommends max PSI. Maxxis doesn't make a recommendation that I can find, but they do provide the following inflation chart.

http://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trailer-tire-loadinflation-chart

Tbos
05-09-2016, 04:04 AM
When I go to upgrade my tires, how do I tell the max pressure my steel rims will allow? Thanks.

jsmith948
05-09-2016, 04:42 AM
The weight carrying capacity and/or the max psi should be stamped or embossed on the back of your wheels. On our aluminum wheels, the weight rating (2830#) is embossed on the back side of the wheel spoke. If you can't find it, it may be stamped on the inside, under the tire. Might also be a sticker - recently bought a new Dexter steel wheel from Redneck Trailer that had a sticker instead of being stamped.

gearhead
05-09-2016, 06:30 AM
When I go to upgrade my tires, how do I tell the max pressure my steel rims will allow? Thanks.
Like JSMITH said it should be stamped on the wheel. Most likely on the backside. Could be the backside of a spoke as well.
If it gives just a weight rating you will have to do a bit of research. Tires are relatively the same across all brands at the load range rating. In other words all 15 " tires of the same width and height and load rating (LR "D", LR "E", etc) will have about the same load capacity at the same inflation pressure. So, if your wheel is stamped at 2830 max weight you will have to research what tire that corresponds to.
If the weight AND pressure is stamped it will be easy.
Be careful with internet info. Some sellers of wheels and tires (eTrailer.com) will state that a wheel manufacturer's only air pressure requirement is you have to use threaded air valves secured with nuts.

canesfan
05-09-2016, 07:29 AM

Good info already provided, but here's an addition that I learned a few years ago from the forum. My wheels have the name of the mfg name stamped into them on the outside of the wheel (no climbing under the trailer to try to look for numbers). I then went to the mfg's website and looked up the wheel and got all the information I needed. Just a thought. I'm not that old but too old to be crawling around under the trailer like that. ;)

Milocka
05-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Went with the brand new Carlisle Trail HD 225/75/15 E. Here she is getting her new shoes...

BTW - the blow max tires that were taken off Had a date code of 9/2009! I was on borrowed time for sure!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160513/0fe7bbfb601a9b9f5320d55998858be8.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160513/c0b9521b2d6b9711d5763d9027b2052c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160513/8bf036d4810bbaa26d8503d5cea21a78.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160513/f063c4c985a81abf0b5a9daf518d1f65.jpg

Desert185
05-13-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm surprised Discount Tire put those clip on weights on aluminum wheels. One of my pet peeves. :banghead:

Like the tires, though. :)

denverpilot
05-18-2016, 09:01 PM
I'm surprised Discount Tire put those clip on weights on aluminum wheels. One of my pet peeves. :banghead:

Like the tires, though. :)

They did that on mine, also... Haven't seen any real problems with it, but understand why it's not "right". At least they're balanced...

Desert185
05-19-2016, 08:00 AM
They did that on mine, also... Haven't seen any real problems with it, but understand why it's not "right". At least they're balanced...

The Goodyear store in Kalifornia did that to my bro in law's pickup, too, and I believe he specified stick on weights. He's going to sell the truck, so what the heck. The installer didn't look like he was having a good day when I walked my dog by the service bay. :(

CWtheMan
05-19-2016, 03:02 PM
But the flip side I think of is most of us run our truck tires below the max sidewall psi number. In addition I had seen where the HD trucks give a loaded and unloaded pressure rating.

Tire inflation pressures for automotive industry tires are not comparable to tire inflation pressures for RV trailers. The method used to determine their recommended values differs considerably.

Tires of different designs such as passenger and light truck when used on RV trailer axles become trailer tires and their recommended inflation pressures are then set using the same method as any other tire when used on the RV trailer's axles. The only difference is the passenger tires MUST be derated by about 10%.

Outback 325BH
05-24-2016, 05:33 AM
Tire inflation pressures for automotive industry tires are not comparable to tire inflation pressures for RV trailers. The method used to determine their recommended values differs considerably.

Tires of different designs such as passenger and light truck when used on RV trailer axles become trailer tires and their recommended inflation pressures are then set using the same method as any other tire when used on the RV trailer's axles. The only difference is the passenger tires MUST be derated by about 10%.

In addition, if your trailer is a utility trailer, there can be a big variance between loaded and unloaded weights. Just like our trucks. However, if we're talking campers, there isn't much difference between loaded and unloaded. For all intents and purposes, they are always loaded.

I run my rig's pressures at max all of the time. Full disclosure: For what it is worth, I run LT tires and not ST tires.

In my truck, I run max psi when pulling my rig. (My rig is an Outback TT - 10,500 GVWR... at or above that [emoji51])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fla-gypsy
05-24-2016, 10:15 AM
There's been some positive feedback on The new Carlisle Trail RH/HD. For several years the only good choice was Maxxis. It's nice to see some other options in the market and cost less too.

Milocka
05-24-2016, 06:57 PM
There's been some positive feedback on The new Carlisle Trail RH/HD. For several years the only good choice was Maxxis. It's nice to see some other options in the market and cost less too.

Out the door for under $700 for 5 new HDs with warranty is pretty damn good in my opinion. The tires seem to ride much better too. We will see this weekend how they do on the Colorado mountain dirt roads!

camreal
05-25-2016, 02:53 AM
Put 4 Carlisle tires on my Freedom Lite 3 years ago from Discount. One blew last week at 60 mph and another had a tread separation and ready to go. Had Discount put 4 Maxxis on and they gave me some credit for the Carlisles. Feel much better about hitting the road this summer.

JRTJH
05-25-2016, 04:31 AM
Put 4 Carlisle tires on my Freedom Lite 3 years ago from Discount. One blew last week at 60 mph and another had a tread separation and ready to go. Had Discount put 4 Maxxis on and they gave me some credit for the Carlisles. Feel much better about hitting the road this summer.

If you would, please provide some additional information??? What specific "Carlisle tire", what size, how heavy is your trailer and how are the tires "stored/used" ??? Thanks in advance !!!

byrdr1
05-25-2016, 10:17 AM
I know you went with Carlise.
They are good tires, one dealer who does service and oil changes uses carlise ST only and he tows a camper and race car rigs with these. My other a tire only dealer uses maxxis.
I have maxxis on my camper, Michelin's on my truck. Michelins came from Discount tire. 6months same as cash and took all six months to pay for them.
Those tires look good.
enjoy and happy trails.
randy

camreal
05-26-2016, 03:44 AM
The above mentioned tires were Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST 205 75 14C dated 03/13. Trailer weighs 6200 lbs and sits covered except when on the road. About 15k miles in the last 3 years.

denverpilot
05-30-2016, 10:44 PM
The above mentioned tires were Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST 205 75 14C dated 03/13. Trailer weighs 6200 lbs and sits covered except when on the road. About 15k miles in the last 3 years.

Sounds like my estimate on mine will work out about right... I guessed three seasons, then replace.

That or I'll have one go this summer ... ;-)

Texascoastalfish
06-03-2016, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Milocka;201353]Went with the brand new Carlisle Trail HD 225/75/15 E. Here she is getting her new shoes...

I have the 235/80 R16 Fail Kings on my 2015 Cougar, I have about 5000 miles on them and am going up to the White River in N Arkansas in a week (1400 mile RT). Tires look ok as far as tread and sidewall but as I have read its inside that wears as well. Had it up at the lease for 7 months last year and all tires were low when I went to bring it back to Galveston. 1 tire was extremely low.
I'm not chancing it so I have an appointment at Discount to put on new Carlisle HD's . $ 660 for 4 installed ins't too bad. I will not worry on this trip, at least not about the rubber..

sourdough
06-03-2016, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=Milocka;201353]Went with the brand new Carlisle Trail HD 225/75/15 E. Here she is getting her new shoes...

I have the 235/80 R16 Fail Kings on my 2015 Cougar, I have about 5000 miles on them and am going up to the White River in N Arkansas in a week (1400 mile RT). Tires look ok as far as tread and sidewall but as I have read its inside that wears as well. Had it up at the lease for 7 months last year and all tires were low when I went to bring it back to Galveston. 1 tire was extremely low.
I'm not chancing it so I have an appointment at Discount to put on new Carlisle HD's . $ 660 for 4 installed ins't too bad. I will not worry on this trip, at least not about the rubber..

I put a set of HDs on my trailer prior to coming here to FL. My previous Trailer Kings looked excellent but one decided to self destruct on my initial try to get here. The new HDs seem to be doing great (about 1300 miles so far) and I'm happy. They seemed to run cooler coming down vs the old D range tires; maybe it was just the circumstances/weather etc. but they seemed to. Hope you have good luck with yours.

You're heading to the White River?? Beautiful river. Whereabouts are you headed?

flybouy
06-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Ordered these from Tread Depot on line. Arrived in 2 business days. Great price.

Carlisle Radial Trail RH - Trailer
ST225/75R15 RADIAL TRAIL RH LRE
Item Number: 5151411 4 $0.00 $67.00 $268.00

Labor / Service Discount
$25 INSTANT REBATE
Item Number: DCTDF25 1- $0.00 $25.00 $-25.00

Shipping: Free
Tax: $0.00
Total: $243.00

Lic0rice
06-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Ordered 4 Maxxis M8008 from Discount tires. Went in this morning around 10:30 to have them mounted but asked to check the manufactured date...2615. Yep, one year old. I told the salesman that I was not excited about purchasing tires that old. To make a long story short, he found 4 Carlisle Radial Trail HDs at another store 1.5 hours away. I said that I would go get them but he insisted that he would have them by the end of the day. Got a call at 4:50 and they already had them mounted on my new wheels. Getting them on the 5th wheel tomorrow morning.

Excellent service from Discount Tires!! OH, the Carlisles are $125 less for the set of 4.

Tbos
06-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Ordered 4 Maxxis M8008 from Discount tires. Went in this morning around 10:30 to have them mounted but asked to check the manufactured date...2615. Yep, one year old. I told the salesman that I was not excited about purchasing tires that old. To make a long story short, he found 4 Carlisle Radial Trail HDs at another store 1.5 hours away. I said that I would go get them but he insisted that he would have them by the end of the day. Got a call at 4:50 and they already had them mounted on my new wheels. Getting them on the 5th wheel tomorrow morning.

Excellent service from Discount Tires!! OH, the Carlisles are $125 less for the set of 4.

Good catch on the mfg date.

CWtheMan
06-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Good catch on the mfg date.

Yes, more so because Maxxis warranty says 4 years from date of manufacturer.

Texascoastalfish
06-14-2016, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=Texascoastalfish;203305]

I put a set of HDs on my trailer prior to coming here to FL. My previous Trailer Kings looked excellent but one decided to self destruct on my initial try to get here. The new HDs seem to be doing great (about 1300 miles so far) and I'm happy. They seemed to run cooler coming down vs the old D range tires; maybe it was just the circumstances/weather etc. but they seemed to. Hope you have good luck with yours.

You're heading to the White River?? Beautiful river. Whereabouts are you headed?

Sourdough

Staying at the Bull shoals White River St Park. Bringing my Avon Rover 12' Inflatable and trolling motor. going to try for some of those Trophy Rainbow and Browns..

Got the HD's installed. Discount Tire initially messed up and started to put on the RH's . I stopped the boys doing the install and went inside to straighten things out. The Salesman had messed up and even though We talked at length on the phone before I came in, and he even stated the differences and improvements on the HD's over the RH, he used 4 RH's he had in stock instead, Whiskey Tango ......? Anyway he apologized..Ordered the HD's and waived install. He left a RH on the rig because he said 1 Fail King had a nail near the sidewall. He put that RH as a Spare for free. Discount Tire came through and took good care of me . 4 Carlisle HD's and a RH spare, balanced, Installed $590 . Cant complain. Leaving Saturday Morning for AR.

Desert185
06-14-2016, 09:51 AM
I've been liking Discount Tire for awhile now. Wish they weren't an hour away, but then almost everything is an hour away. :thumbsup:

gearhead
06-14-2016, 03:43 PM
We'll be expecting a report! I think I fished out of Gastons a very long time ago.
Little Red down at Heber springs used to be good.
I'm headed to Sabine Lake in the morning. East Bay and Stingaree Marina was a mad house my last visit.