PDA

View Full Version : Cooling the fridge while towing

Timcharlie
05-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Guys,
Question: Is it safe to tow the trailer with the propane tank(s)open to run the fridge inside the trailer so it is relatively cool when you get to your camping spot?

Tim

mfifield01
05-03-2016, 06:08 PM
I think the consensus is that it is safe on the road. That being said, I would turn it off while fueling up.

I always pre-cool at home before hitting the road. If the drive is less than 3 hours, I don't typically need to run the propane on the road. It will stay cold as long as you don't open the door.

sourdough
05-03-2016, 06:21 PM
IMO the fridge is designed to run on the road. If you run short trips you could probably just use it like an ice chest but.....why? I cool my fridge down on AC before we leave and stock it. The day we leave I switch to LP and make sure the fridge changed over. I leave and don't think about it again until I hit my destination. That said, I understand there are some areas in the east that prohibit the operation of the fridge in some tunnels; I travel the west, south, southwest and southeast. I've not encountered that.

As far as gas stations, I leave it on. The trailer is 38' and the fridge is toward the end. It doesn't sit next to a pump....and with folks smoking a foot from the end of the gas dispenser I don't think my propane fridge, inside the confines of the RV and only an exhaust poking out, is going to blow up the station if they don't - and I've not seen a single warning about an RV at any pump. JMO.

BirchyBoy
05-03-2016, 06:28 PM
I fire mine up at the storage yard the day before I leave. I let it run while driving/fueling/etc. Sure is nice to have a cold one while setting up.

chuckster57
05-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Fuel pumps normally have a warning label stating no open flame within 25 feet. Granted the refer flame is behind a couple of barriers, lets not forget that gasoline as a liquid doesn't do anything, its the vapors that will make your trailer go boom!!

I do drive with the refer on.

Timcharlie
05-04-2016, 03:56 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the input. You have helped to alleviate my wife's concerns. I would like to be able to start it up the day before, but the storage lot is not convenient to be able to drive to beforehand. We store it at the place we bought it from and their hours are typically 8-5 on Friday's. So we'll turn on the propane and the fridge while we are towing to cool it down for our arrival at the campsite.

Tim

Tbos
05-04-2016, 07:35 AM
Haven't had to get gas with my current TT in tow. The fridge is on the opposite side of the truck tank. I'm thinking I won't need to turn it off this year.

coop
05-04-2016, 08:24 AM
I usually put a couple of frozen water bottles in the freezer too. I found on long drives the LP keeps the Fridge part cold but the frozen food can start to defrost.

gearhead
05-04-2016, 02:15 PM
We leave in 10 days for a trip. Trailer has been plugged in for 2 weeks. Fridge running. A few frozen water bottles in the freezer section. One of the little blue D cell battery powered fans on the lower shelf. I unplug the power for a couple days and let it run on propane.
Hopefully no last minute surprises.

Bamacamper
05-10-2016, 07:09 PM
I do the same thing, I drive with my frig on and nice to have a cold one waiting for you while setting up.:)

theeyres
05-10-2016, 07:20 PM
I leave home with the fridge on auto...and that is where it stays until we get home...a few days trip or several months. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't worry about service stations, it just stays on auto, which means it is on propane when we are traveling. In 40 years that has never been an issue. The only time we turn the propane off is when traveling is in those required places like long tunnels or on ferry's.

SADLY
05-11-2016, 02:37 AM
I leave home with the fridge on auto...and that is where it stays until we get home...a few days trip or several months. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't worry about service stations, it just stays on auto, which means it is on propane when we are traveling. In 40 years that has never been an issue. The only time we turn the propane off is when traveling is in those required places like long tunnels or on ferry's.

yup!

10 characters.

Pull Toy
05-11-2016, 03:26 AM
Dittto on the frozen water bottles...

When they defrost at the site, I use water from home to water the dogs. They seem happier with well water they know, rather than treated water. at the campgrounds