PDA

View Full Version : Anyone replaced outside steps?

notanlines
05-03-2016, 02:01 AM
We have a Raptor with the typical three step entrance. DW's hip would like me to replace it with the four-step configuration. About the only thing I find available is the typical Lippert four-step replacement for about $210. Is this a relatively easy direct replacement or am I fooling myself? I'm wide open to suggestions.

chuckster57
05-03-2016, 04:01 AM
We just did this on a 2016 Reflection. IIRC the tech that did it didn't have any issues.

Dave45039
05-03-2016, 04:32 AM
I had to replace a set last year. There are 4 bolts on top to remove. The hardest part is supporting the unit while removing the old and then installing the new. I was able to do mine by myself.

JRTJH
05-03-2016, 04:41 AM
On our Cougar there are 6 "self tapping screws" that secure the step set to the chassis. On our Holiday Rambler, the steps were welded in place while on our Jayco, they were installed using nuts and bolts, the top two were "blind" with the nuts inside the box frame (making them very difficult to access).

Crawl under your steps with them in the closed position and you should be able to see just what you'd have to do to remove the old ones. As long as the current ones aren't welded in place and as long as your new steps are the same size, even if you have to add new holes to your chassis (or to the steps), once you get them into position (they're heavy) for installation, it's not a technically difficult job. More "grunt work" than "thinking work"......

As with carpentry, measure twice and cut once !!! Make sure you're measuring the same "width" and in the same place as the step manufacturer!!! Some RV stores like to measure the "installation box size" while some measure the "actual step dimensions".... Make sure you're measuring "apples and apples" not "apples and oranges".....

notanlines
05-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Many thanks for the responses. I think I'll order up a set for Mother's Day. (Not really. I love my happy home!) But I am going to order the 300 lb deluxe super duty set. I'll post when they're installed.

carwheel_09
05-03-2016, 05:41 PM
I got a set of the new Lippert Alumi-tread steps from PPL, good price. Ordered them online and the when I was a the docs in Houston picked them up. I'm replacing the Hickory Springs quad step that had a recall. Dealer did the repair to them but the are "springy" as a diving board. The width on the Lippert's is 28 1/8" while the old steps are 27 3/8" wide, not good. So I'm going to have to cut the mounting brackets off. Think I may get by with just taking the left side off. The opening is wider on that side of the current set up. The brackets can be ordered from Lippert. I ordered a right & left just in case. Total cost with shipping was $33.87. If need bracket call them with your frame serial number. Spent more time on hold waiting to talk to someone than it took them to find the part numbers. [emoji106]

TomHaycraft
05-04-2016, 03:36 AM
We have a Raptor with the typical three step entrance. DW's hip would like me to replace it with the four-step configuration. About the only thing I find available is the typical Lippert four-step replacement for about $210. Is this a relatively easy direct replacement or am I fooling myself? I'm wide open to suggestions.
Another product to consider is the Glow Step Revolution (glad the product is better than the name!). A long thread on RV.Net (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28660406/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1). The stability make them worth every penny ... or at least to me they have!

carwheel_09
05-10-2016, 02:02 PM
JRTJH
How would you access the two blind nuts that drop down out of the frame. They are located below the door threshold. I might not have enough width to install my new steps without moving at least one of them over a bit. Stumped!

JRTJH
05-10-2016, 05:03 PM
JRTJH
How would you access the two blind nuts that drop down out of the frame. They are located below the door threshold. I might not have enough width to install my new steps without moving at least one of them over a bit. Stumped!

I honestly don't know how you'd access the blind nuts. On all the "blind nut installations" I've done, I had a guide wire that attached to the nut to hold it in place until it was threaded on the bolt. Those were all "installation procedures" not "removal procedures"... Often manufacturers will install components and then install other items "over those" making access to the first installation nearly impossible. Without seeing what you're talking about, it would be a "wild guess" to even begin to suggest a way to access a fastener without any idea where it is, what it is or what's around it.....

Just "thinking out loud" now, but you might be able to drill holes in the mounting plate on the steps so the new holes will fit over the nuts you can't move. Then you could improvise the location for additional bolts to secure the steps in place. ??????

BSHGTO
05-11-2016, 09:03 AM
I "put" the "4 stepper on", "nice improvement". "Really pretty simple", just use a "floor jack" to "hold the weight" and "make adjustments". "Wife approved" so it`s "money well spent".

notanlines
05-11-2016, 10:20 AM
I'll be honest. All this talk about blind nuts had me cringing a little. I just got an email from etrailers in Missouri that our step assembly is on the way. Now after reading BSHGTO's post I feel better about the prospects. I will report also upon completion, blind nuts and all.:D

carwheel_09
05-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Well the figment depends on what your replacing and what was ordered. I'm going from Hickory Springs steps to the new Lippert Alumi Tread Step. New steps are wider, was told they would fit, not. If I would have gotten the Elkhart Tool & Die quad steps they would have fit right in. Here are some pictures for reference. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160511/cc57fd22b8f76c7e93c51c50a0f7e636.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160511/a6dae95825de262771b0b4e1b47e1407.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160511/c405da042576a475296d5fe1c856287e.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160511/e7c05a00015fd23d437d17bb946affd7.jpg

Even ordered new brackets from Lippert. Sure hate to start cutting and welding on a new rig. The bolt pictured goes thru the welded on bracket. It comes out of the enclosed section under the door. I can feel a metal strap thru the black nylon type fabric. Didn't measure twice, maybe these are getting returned.

notanlines
06-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Well, it took awhile, but the dirty deed is done. It took the DW and I 2 hours to fool with it and they work great. There is a little matter of needing spacers because of a little different configuration of the new stairs, but it is done.

JRTJH
06-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Looks good !!! I had no doubt you'd figure it out and have a successful outcome. From the looks of the height, you're almost in the "needs a handrail" category :eek:

carwheel_09
06-14-2016, 12:38 PM
They look good.

Desert185
06-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Well, it took awhile, but the dirty deed is done. It took the DW and I 2 hours to fool with it and they work great. There is a little matter of needing spacers because of a little different configuration of the new stairs, but it is done.

Looks good.

We bought one of these for those boondocking days when the ground slopes away from the steps.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=38293&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1v66BRCV-6rh6s-Biu8BEiQAelpuiylBeiwDagoRe15aR-izebgwQ1t8XBFKpv3R5kg6a_AaAk1h8P8HAQ

MontanaMike
06-17-2016, 10:04 AM

Can you post a link to the unit you ordered?

notanlines
06-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Mike, gladly. http://www.etrailer.com/RV-Stairs-and-Steps/Stromberg-Carlson/SMFP-4400.html A reasonable price and free shipping....:D